Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Petrol or Diesel.........need advice

Options
  • 10-11-2009 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

Right timing belt in my car snapped and caused a lot of problems so I am gonna buy myself a oul Toyota banger. Prob a 99 or 00 Avensis.

Should I get a 1.6 petrol, or a 2.0 diesel?

Loads of people are telling me diesel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You need to sit down and do your sums for both options. Drive both too, see which you prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭T-rev

i understand i need to do my sums, but how will i get the mpg etc etc of each?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

will depend on what car you get and what engine is in both the petrol and diesel cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

As Anan says, it's all about the sums.

Fundamentally, what kind of mileage do you do?

Bear in mind that you're buying (as you put it) a Toyota banger - i.e. you're buying a car where the running costs will overtake the purchase price fairly quickly.

The 1.6 Avensis is a pretty sluggish car and would be a poor choice for long distances.
    The 2.0 diesel would be better for high mileage but bear in mind that you'll be paying the higher motor tax every year.
    Fuel cost savings will again only be a factor for higher mileages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭eyesofvenus

2 Espressi wrote: »
    Lol nice! Shame you didn't read OP as it said Avensis not Corolla :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

In short, Diesel = cheaper fuel, more expensive road tax.. cheaper to run only if you do a lot of driving though, and a lot of open road driving at that (motorways, N roads)

Petrol = more expensive fuel, less road tax... better if you just do the usual amount of driving ( work, kids to and from school etc..)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,404 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

A 1.6 VVT-i Avensis old morel is lively enough, Good diesel Avensis's are hard to come buy, and if you're getting a cheap one you're looking at 97-mid 00, which will be the older 2.0 TD model which is slower than a 1.6

Also consider a late Carina E. a 1.6 Carina E is very light on fuel.

Advertisement