Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pumped cavity wall insulation

Options
  • 10-11-2009 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

I'm thinking of improving the insulation of my 2002 built house. We put in standard aeroboard, but find that the house loses heat quickly.

I looked at a few companies and one uses <snip> do not mention specifc product names - does anyone know anything about them? And is it worth while putting in pumped bead insulation into a new relatively new house?

Thanks...

recommendations by pm only please .
    Syd

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

There are two mechanisms of heatloss from a building:
    1. Conduction through building elements (walls, roofs, windows etc)
    2. Air infiltration (uncontrolled air movement into/out of a building, draughts).

Insulation addresses no. 1
    I find very few people appreciate the effect of no.2
    Has the house had a pressure test? Is the (lack of) insulation in the walls the cause of your heat loss? How do you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mgt2009

Thanks Mick the Man.

I actually have a BER guy coming next week to perform the pressure test. I have an idea myself where i need to shore up some of the gaps, but it will be interesting to see what else he finds.

The tupe of bead has been snipped out above (I didn't think I was advertising it), but I was curious more than anything to hear about new-ish houses that had insulation and whether they noticed the difference with the pumped beads.

I will post back with the BER findings. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭John mac

My house was built in 2002 and there was no insulation in the cavity.
    only 30mm insulated plasterboard .

I got the cavity done ( yellow wool blown) in Aug 2008 and there is a huge
    difference.

Although I also replaced the open fire with a stove.

Just finishing off adding 250mm of insulation in the attic.

It all adds up.(savings and costs:D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mgt2009

Thanks John,

Jeez, that sounds like pretty poor insulation for a 2002 house! Do you think the house retains the heat a lot better with the insulation or is it hard to tell because you put in the stove around the same time?

Advertisement