Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Ski gear - Mon 16th Nov

Options
  • 10-11-2009 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

just noticed the Lidl ski gear is on again. Dunno what it's like this year, but I've had mine for 2 years now. I reckon I'll get another trip out of it easily before I upgrade. Well worth a look for a first-timer anyhow, especially if you're unsure of making a big committment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

i was just coming in to post the same thing.
    Only spotted it lastnight. The helmets look decent
    http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20091116.index

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

ShayK1 wrote: »
    i was just coming in to post the same thing.
    Only spotted it lastnight. The helmets look decent

Yeah, I'm wondering about the helmets - I wonder what they're like.
    Just looked up the standard : http://webstore.ansi.org/RecordDetail.aspx?sku=DIN+EN+1077%3A2007

Helmets for alpine skiers and swowboarders; German version EN 1077:2007 (FOREIGN STANDARD)
    This European Standard specifies minimum performance requirements and tests for helmets for alpine skiers and for snowboarders, including children and participants in competitions. The standard comprises two different classes of protection; class A and class B. Although the experience of the existing standard for alpine skiers is very good, it has become more and more obvious that there is a need for an alternative standard that can meet the demand from snowboarders and similar groups. Class B is slightly less restrictive and can therefore accommodate more ventilation and comfort without sacrificing too much of protection. Requirements and the corresponding methods of test, where appropriate, are given for the following: construction including field of vision, shock absorbing properties, resistance to penetration, retention system properties, marking and information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭neil_purdy

Helmets look a bit crap, prob solid and all but just look crap!!

Had a aldi jacket before, zip broke first morning of my holiday, never again..

Stay away from the goggles and the gloves!!!

I will back up their socks though.. Think they were 3.99 last year.. bought loads of pairs.. Super warm... Have a pair of Burton snowboard socks that cost me like 20.00 and they are not worth a sh*t!!

Tbh id just throw an extra 20-30 euro and get some stuff in TK maxx.. great selection in their places.. Have bought a few pants and jackets there, all various brands!

I found the opposite actually. A mate got her jacket in Lidl and it's lasted 4 years (still going strong) - I got socks last year in Aldi and they were c r a p. Got really 'flabby' and didn’t have any elasticity, kept on falling down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Lidl are doing ski gear on the 24th, mens ski trousers 19.99..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Lidl are doing ski gear on the 24th, mens ski trousers 19.99..

I think its from next monday 16th

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Just reshuffling a few Lidl posts into the same place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭erinn

my nana got my an aldi ski suit d 1st yr i went skiing...wore it for 2years and would have got longer out of it only the break on my ski ripped a whole in it...other than that it was great!!!

a friend of mine gets there socks and thinks there great!!!

went to have a look today, bought 2 boot-bags for €6.99 each, my wife got a soft-shell jacket for €13.99 and a ski top for €4.99. All seem like good quality.
    She was also on the look out for a helmet, these were really disappointing, felt badly made and poor fit.
    I had a feel of the jackets, trousers and gloves, they also did not seem great, I remembered from previous years they felt better made, but I suppose you get what you pay for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭I_luv_2_ski!

Are the booth bags any good??? Not that i need one but for that price why not get one!!!

I was in snow and rock in dundrum at the weekend and got a helmet for under €50....granted its a "youth" but at that price does it matter??? I wantd a white one and it was the one that felt best on....I'd say give them a go!!! they have a good range and alot more reasonably priced then the great outdoors...also if you dont see one that you like they do have a catalogue and they can order in for you and if you dont want it it dont matter!!!

• Advertisement

yea, I think the bags are great esp for that price, there were 2 types we got the ones with the coloured strip on them, definately give them a look.
    We were in Snopw and Rock last week, there was no suitable helmets, but I was impressed with the place and got plenty of gear..... helmet for herself is probably the last thing needed, we have spent over €1,500 this year already :eek::eek::eek:

must go down later so!!!

yea i think snow and rock is an amazing shop....ders a tog 24 shop just north of newry its an outlet one and im sure they'd have some helmets!!!

the great out doors do uvex ones but like i said their expensive...the kids start at about 80 and adults 115 if i remember correctly and theres only black and silver ones in the same stlyes!!! you could wait and get one over there...we were goin to do that but we neede them for a freestyle camp on sat so had no choice but to get them over here!!!

could also try 53degrees north...dont know if they have them...they deffo dont have them on their website!!!

wher ya off 2???

thats alot of money we got our holiday for that...i got a new suit and boots last year so this year its helmet (i neva wore one before but me and my bf decided to get them this year) and gloves...so far...i'll prob need more but i have time!!! lol

wher ya off 2???

thats alot of money we got our holiday for that...i got a new suit and boots last year so this year its helmet (i neva wore one before but me and my bf decided to get them this year) and gloves...so far...i'll prob need more but i have time!!! lol

We are off to a village on the German-Austrian border called Oberstdorf, in Jan for a week and then again in March :D We have been there plenty of times and there are great shops in the village, I really like the Uvex helmets and thats what we will prob get over there.

I know its loads of money, its not like we are that flush.... but it is my 6th time skiing, we are ready to really move to the next level and to do that it helps to have your own stuff. Skiing really is the thing we love the most and have cut back on everything this year, I justify the spend because its for the 2 of us, and equates to less then €30/week ( past years we spend that on wine !!)

I'm quite an OCD personality, its taken a good few years to find a healthy obsession:o

the holidays are quite cheap, in March the flights cost €40 reurn each and accom @ €15/night.

Yes, the helmets are important, not just for your own falls but I think even more in a collision.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭slavedave

Hi, bought the 13.99 hooded softshell jacket from lidls first thing this morning (alongside some cheapo gloves for spares, some sunglasses - not bad quality for a fiver, some socks that look good with zonal support etc, some cotton ski garments and a light weight fleece). The fleece and the cotton stuff are going back but I am keeping the gloves,glasses, socks and possibly the soft shell BUT....
    Is the softshell meant to be tight fitting? or should there be room under it for more than just thermal wicking layer? Do they keep you as warm as a conventional insulated ski jacket (which i currently have)?
    I'll keep it at the size I have (large) if I need to wear a light fleece under it too but otherwise I will exchange it for a smaller size following advice around thickness of base layers etc from the Pros here!
    Thanks

The hooded soft-shell is meant to have a top under it, so I would say not too tight but not too large. The problem with the hood is it is too bulky under your jacket, it might be fine on its own on a sunny march day, or walking to/from the pub :)

Thanks for the reply. Looking at the bulkiness of the lidl soft shell, I doubt that I would consider wearing it under a normal ski coat. As to whether it would be suitable for skiing in cold weather, I am skiing in St.Anton in January. Went there in Jan last year and only got cold (with a thermal base layer plus ski coat) when going up one of the long exposed chairlifts in bitter wind. otherwise, shedding heat was more of a problem for me (I haven't got to the point when skiing is effortless yet:D). could I get away with a good base layer and this soft shell? i like it's lightness compared to my existing insulated coat.
    Thanks again.

This is an area where quality pays.
    In Jan I wear a good base layer and a decent jacket, for me just a softshell would not be enough, later in the season I on a nice day a softshell would be fine, but everyone looses heat or feels cold differently, so :confused:

i depends on teh person...i prefere my under layers tighter as i feel warmer but some people differ...it should be tight enough but not too tight if that makes sense!!! haha

The more layers you have the more crap you have to carry around when you get too warm. I like a decent jacket and one base layer. I open the jacket when I'm warm, and close it when I'm on a ski lift or something.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Layers provide better insulation than one big thick coat will ever manage though.

I tend to only have the one thermal base layer and a thin jacket on most of the time though, if it's really cold then I may have a thin fleece as well but if it then gets warm it's not too much bother to tie it around yourself if you have nowhere else to stash extra layers.

• Advertisement

So I am still in a bit of a quandary.
    I have slim shoulders but a "rotund" waist ;). A lidl shell that is Large sized has plenty of room in (even with a base layer and a thin fleece layer underneath it) whereas the Medium sized shell is a good fit around the shoulders but "snug" (read unflattering) around the gut region even without the fleece layer.
    I could probably shed a stone between now and January but the gods are stacking against me (Christmas turkey, parties, lethargy and lack of will power).
    Should I go loose or tight in selecting the shell? What is going to provide me with the right protection for skiing in January in the Alps?
    Or should I just stick with Ol' Faithful and wear my normal insulated ski jacket and take the soft shells back for a refund?
    I do a lot of cycling so i thought a soft shell would double up as a cycling jacket throughout the winter and for 14€ I couldn't resist.

And no, I won't be posting photo's - there are probably minors that read this thread:eek:

honestly...i skiied in Austria last Jan (not St. Anton i was in Kaprun) but if the weather was anythin like what we had you'll need a thermal layer, a ski fleece, a jacket (not a soft shell a proper ski jacket) as well as everything to save your face...wind stopper that sort of thing...and thats just to stop ya from dying of the cold!!!

you'd deffo be better off wit a proper jacket for that time and bring a bag on your back...(you wont even realise its there after a few mins) so that if you get too hot you can take your fleece off and put it in it!!!

also thermal bottoms are a good idea under your ski trousers!!! keep ya nice and toasty cause god only knows its better to be too warm then too cold!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Guys the gear they sell is not great. Its not breathable which leads to you sweating and getting cold quicker as the moisture stays on your skin.

It has very low waterproofing meaning you will get wet. Do not skimp on ski wear go to TK makk get the good stuff for little or nothing.

Every skier should have, Good base layers body and legs. Fleece, Midlayer and a Shell jacket. The trick to keeping warm is layers.! Trust me I have skied -45 and survived I should know.:D

Advertisement