Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prices of Alu-Clad V's Painted Timber Windows

Options
  • 10-11-2009 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭

As the title says I'm just looking for a guide on what the extra might be for alu-clad over painted. If any one has examples of quotes from the same company for, say, tilt and turn in both types that would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

We went through this ourselves. On average it worked out about 10% cheaper than aluclad to get painted timber windows provided they are same colour inside and outside. All the companies will tell that there is a signifiant amount of work in painting the windows which is probably fair. The advantage of the aluclad is that you can have one colour outside and a different colour inside. In most cases it was more expensive to get one colour inside and another outside than the aluclad. We wanted black outside and white inside. It is possible that the dual colour timber was priced so high so companies could avoid that finish because they it is fairly difficult to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

Only 10%, I was expecting more as I imagine the windows would have to be painted or finished in some way before the clad was put on, or am I wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

gears wrote: »
    the windows would have to be painted or finished in some way before the clad was put on, or am I wrong?

Sorry gears, seems to be a bit of confusion. I read your post thinking that you were comparing AluClad windows to Painted Timber Windows (two totally different products). What I was saying was that dual colour timber (eg black exterior and white interior- which was what we were looking for) windows cost about 10% less than aluclad but with AluClad you are getting a supposedly "maintenance free" product.

We decided we'd pay the extra few quid and get the AluClad.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 KG_SouthTipp

Hi,

I have had two quotes for alu clad and they were approx. 20 - 25% more than timber. These quotes are just 6 weeks old from two quality suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

Hi,

I have had two quotes for alu clad and they were approx. 20 - 25% more than timber. These quotes are just 6 weeks old from two quality suppliers.

Thats similar to what I've seen and just wanted to get a feel if that was standard.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

These wooden windows all look well when newly installed but even a year or 2 later and they look old and worn/bady weathered.

So unless you like the thoughts of using ladders, sanding down and then re-varnishing/painting every window in the house every year to 2 then wooden windows are not for you.

If you want wooden look windows then get UPVC windows that have wooden effect on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 terry henry

Dont fully agree with paddy . 1st of all the common mistake made by most people is "maintenance free" this does not mean the windows or doors will stay like new, it means in most cases you cant freshen them up. I made that mistake with alu-clad windows. They have started to pith & blacken ( only in 4 years ) & there is nothing I can do with them. secondly my painter told me that painted windows have come along a lot in recent years with most window suppliers giving at least 5 years before you have to re-apply a new coat. He also tells me that there is no sanding of the windows you just have to clean off any dirt & apply 1no coat of the new paint ( same colour ) plus he says you never paint the inside again & you only paint what you see. ( you dont open the sashes or paint around seals ) no more sticky seals. I wish I new this sooner.:(

Advertisement