Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please someone to Help me do a New network

Options
  • 10-11-2009 10:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi,
    I would like to find some help to configure a network.
    I have a "Edimax 24 port 10/100Mbps ED-1524SX" Ethernet Hub but I don't have manual from it.
    My internet is provided by Ice Broadband and they gave me specific IP settings.
    Well, I already tried get on the internet information about how I can get it connected with the PC's and one access point, but I didn't find nothing about.
    On the Ethernet hub brand website they don't have this model on the list, maybe it's a old one.
    Then,If someone can help me to figure out how I can make it work I will be very grateful, cause I am near to burn my brain trying do it.Maybe it's something very easy but I don't know too much about it. :o
    Thank you
    My regards,
    Sunshine Day

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 sunshineday

Well, I got bad news from my internet provider "Ice Broadband", the service they provide doesn't work with a 24 ports hub... :mad: , I have a year contract and I can broke that.

They said I need a router to connect to the hub. Well, I am very luck... :( I have here a ADSL Router, never used still in a box, and will still there cause my internet is not a ADSL connection.

haaaaaa!!!!! Now I have internet, I have a router and a hub and I still can not do my network connection.....
    :confused:

If someone can help me, please reply...

Thank you,
    Sunshine Day

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,127 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Well, I got bad news from my internet provider "Ice Broadband", the service they provide doesn't work with a 24 ports hub... :mad: , I have a year contract and I can broke that.

They said I need a router to connect to the hub. Well, I am very luck... :( I have here a ADSL Router, never used still in a box, and will still there cause my internet is not a ADSL connection.

haaaaaa!!!!! Now I have internet, I have a router and a hub and I still can not do my network connection.....

Thank you,
    Sunshine Day

You need a plain router (aka broadband router or cable router), not an ADSL one, and not a hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Thank you,
    Sunshine Day

My head hurts reading that.

Your ISP are correct, there is most likely nothing you can do with your current setup. Does the connection from Ice Broadband come directly into your PC? If that is the case you will need a router with a WAN interface (RJ45) and at least one LAN interface (you can plug your switch in there). You will then need to configure the router to use NAT for the clients behind it. You could also, depening on the OS you have, add an second NIC to your PC and configure routing there with the addition of the switch to it.

Save yourself all the hassle and get a router online or go to PCWorld etc, shouldn't be too expensive.

Thank you for your replies :)

Spear, actually I need a hub cause I need a lot of ports to connect all the pc and printers in network.

Azzeretti,

Well you have reason the point is I already have this equipment and I would like to find some way to get connected with it, cause for me not make sense in 2009 a ISP don't provide service to make you connected with this regular equipment. Otherwise buy something and see this equipment on the self doesn't make sense for me.

I still believe some pc expert can make it works, then I am trying find one here. :) Anyway if someone want swap a ADSL router with a LAN router please let me know I will be very grateful with that.
    :) My regards,
    Sunshine Day

P.S. Azzeretti why your head hurt you reading my words? :confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,127 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Thank you for your replies :)

Spear, actually I need a hub cause I need a lot of ports to connect all the pc and printers in network.

The hub can't be used to share your internet connection as it can't perform functions such as routing or NAT'ing. You need to put a router between the hub and the ICE WAN connection.

• Advertisement

Well Spear,

This just happen cause my ISP provide a private IP address and because of that I need do a setting on the equipment but the hub is an automatic switcher then don't let me setting.

Well the point is I already have this hub and an ADSL router.The router I never used and still on the box like when I got it, and I would like with all this stuff no need buy anything else.
    :(

Well Spear,

This just happen cause my ISP provide a private IP address and because of that I need do a setting on the equipment but the hub is an automatic switcher then don't let me setting.

Well the point is I already have this hub and an ADSL router.The router I never used and still on the box like when I got it, and I would like with all this stuff no need buy anything else.
    :(

Hubs aren't meant to be intelligent or configurable, they're normally just dumb repeaters. The configuration supplied by ICE needs to be on your router, and an ADSL one is unlikely to work since it'll attempt to use the ADSL interface as it's WAN interface.

Thanks again spear,

I know that, I am just looking for some different way to get a solution to my situation with out buy another equipment.

with some adaptation or else.

(similar to a miracle) :o

If you find some way, please let me know.

Thank you
    Sunshine day

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Thanks again spear,

I know that, I am just looking for some different way to get a solution to my situation with out buy another equipment.

with some adaptation or else.

(similar to a miracle) :o

If you find some way, please let me know.

Thank you
    Sunshine day

There is no miracle. You are looking for a free alternative that doesn't exist. Your cheapest option is to purchase a router with RJ45 WAN port. Of course there are other alternatives but they will cost more.

€50 will get you an almost decent home/SOHO router. €80 will get you a decent home/SOHO router. >€100 for an office router.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭accensi0n

You won't be able to set up the desired network with your current hardware.

You'll need what the others have said, a router with an Ethernet WAN interface (port), to connect the Ice internet connection to and another port to connect your network (edimax hub) to.

Ice -> Router -> Hub/Switch -> PC's/Printers

And as said before, in order to allow all your PC's to share the internet connection, you'll have to configure the router with various things; IP settings, NAT/PAT, DHCP...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

My head hurts too .... I dont know what I can add to this... I really dont.

I'm all for helping people out.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

Gawd. My head hurts as well.

Sunshine, unless you can configure the ADSL modem (I've a feeling this a router as well) to NAT *AND* run as a DHCP server, you'l either

a) have to get someone who can
    and/or
    b) get a router that can

:) Good morning to all and thank you for your replies,

:confused: Why your head hurt you???

RangeR,miracles exist maybe not in that case. ;) what is home/SOHO router ad what is the difference to the home or the office? I was thinking I just need a basic router to connect to the hub and then I can use the 24 ports. Can I?

accensi0n, I think I will back to you to help me in the configuration of the router cause I don't know nothing about it, just about the IP address, NAT/PAT and DHCP are new for me. :o

iRock Thank you for your kindness, don't worry it's my fault I always get the thing in the hard way. :o , in all my life everything is always a impossible mission, like now. I believe you will help me in other time, like help me to configure the network. :D

vinylbomb, how I can configure the ADSL modem to NAT *AND* run as a DHCP server?
    Please explain what is this cause I thing that will be the way to get my connections. :o

Now I can see a light at the end of the tunnel!

Nice day to all,
    Sunshine day

Good morning
    Good morning ish
    thank you for your replies
    you are more than welcome
    RangeR,miracles exist maybe not in that case. ;) what is home/SOHO router ad what is the difference to the home or the office? I was thinking I just need a basic router to connect to the hub and then I can use the 24 ports. Can I?

Cheap Router
    Mid price range home with wifi g
    Mid price range with wifi n
    high price range with wifi n

I am not going to suggest a business class router here. From the sounds of it, could wouldn't want to pay the price.

Ignore all comments above in relation to getting NAT and DHCP working with the ADSL modem. The best you can use that router for is a four port switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

:) Good morning to all and thank you for your replies,

:confused: Why your head hurt you???

accensi0n, I think I will back to you to help me in the configuration of the router cause I don't know nothing about it, just about the IP address, NAT/PAT and DHCP are new for me. :o

iRock Thank you for your kindness, don't worry it's my fault I always get the thing in the hard way. :o , in all my life everything is always a impossible mission, like now. I believe you will help me in other time, like help me to configure the network. :D

vinylbomb, how I can configure the ADSL modem to NAT *AND* run as a DHCP server?
    Please explain what is this cause I thing that will be the way to get my connections. :o

Now I can see a light at the end of the tunnel!

Nice day to all,
    Sunshine day

Sunshine - > You don't seem to be listening to what people are telling you. If you have an ADSL router that means the WAN interfaces is an RJ11 socket, for taking a standard phone line connection. There will also be at least one RJ45 LAN connection on it for connecting a PC to it. The ADSL router connects to an ISP over a phone line and then routes traffic from the LAN interface to the internet via that connetion.

You have ICE for an ISP. I think, but I am not sure, that they are a wireless provider. They most likely have an antenna on the roof which terminates in your house somewhere with a POE injector which in turn has an ethernet cable (RJ45 connection) to your PC. Ususally (but not always), the antenna on the roof acts as a bridge and passes the DHCP request from your PC to a router upstream somewhere and also ant TCP/IP traffic so you might browse the internet. There is no way to get that cable into the WAN port an ADSL router. It won't work!
    You may aswell try and get your toaster to act as a router as that has as much chance as working as and ADSL router does.

Get your self a router and then get back on here and we'll get you sorted ;)

Hi guys :) ,

Thank you for all your replies.
    Sorry for my silence but I was looking for get myself a solution to my network problem, EST VOILA ..... I got :D

First I connected the ice broadband to a pc, with the necessary settings and IP. After that I connected this pc with the hub into the input port. After I setting all my pc's and the access point with an automatic IP and start connected all with the hub. The only point is the cables are not the same. An example the cable for the access point need be a normal one but for the pc's need be inverted.

I feel so smart.... :)

Today I will install the XAMPP and the joomla on the server pc... I hope don't get any problem with that. :o

I still have questions if some of you can answer me, please do....

1- How expensive is keep an old "Dell optimex gs 240" on 24hours?
    2- I will create some websites through the joomla on my computer server, then I will keep the computer online 24/7. I would like to know how I can backup the server in other pc, please.

I am looking forward to read from you.
    Cheers
    Sunshine Day (Well here it's not a sunshine day, but I believe will be very soon :cool: )

Hi guys :) ,

Thank you for all your replies.
    Sorry for my silence but I was looking for get myself a solution to my network problem, EST VOILA ..... I got :D

First I connected the ice broadband to a pc, with the necessary settings and IP. After that I connected this pc with the hub into the input port. After I setting all my pc's and the access point with an automatic IP and start connected all with the hub. The only point is the cables are not the same. An example the cable for the access point need be a normal one but for the pc's need be inverted.

I feel so smart.... :)

Today I will install the XAMPP and the joomla on the server pc... I hope don't get any problem with that. :o

I still have questions if some of you can answer me, please do....

1- How expensive is keep an old "Dell optimex gs 240" on 24hours?
    2- I will create some websites through the joomla on my computer server, then I will keep the computer online 24/7. I would like to know how I can backup the server in other pc, please.

I am looking forward to read from you.
    Cheers
    Sunshine Day (Well here it's not a sunshine day, but I believe will be very soon :cool: )

You'll need to clarify a lot of this.

Where are the automatic addresses coming from? What's acting as DHCP server? Why are you connecting the PC to the uplink port?

What are you using as a firewall? Is your network open to attack?
    If you want to use your PC as your "Firewall" this is an ideal solution and one I use at home with great success. I didn't mention it as it's not for everyone.

I use Endian firewall and it is HIGHLY configurable. there is one nasty bug in the latest 2.3 release but I don't think it will affect you. It's when you have a custom entry for the DHCP server [for TFTPD config etc] in that the DHCP server fails to run.

Hi Spear and RangeR,

Well, I was so happy and proud about myself and now you making me feel so ignorant. :o

Spear, I would like to explain all this things for you but I can't understand what you want mean with:
    "What's acting as DHCP server? "
    "Why are you connecting the PC to the uplink port?"
    Well ,about the automatic IP it's easy to setting, in the place you use to write the ISP IP you click in automatic IP.

Ranger,at this moment I just have the windows firewall and avg anti virus, I know it's not enough but with the recession it's ok, it's an hard moment. :(

I already found a plug-in to do the joomla backup. :D (proud again)

Sunshine Day

Hi Spear and RangeR,

Well, I was so happy and proud about myself and now you making me feel so ignorant. :o

Spear, I would like to explain all this things for you but I can't understand what you want mean with:
    Well ,about the automatic IP it's easy to setting, in the place you use to write the ISP IP you click in automatic IP.

And what DHCP server is meant to be providing those automatic settings? Check what address they're getting and see if it begins with 169.254.x.x

• Advertisement

Hi Spear and RangeR,

Ranger,at this moment I just have the windows firewall and avg anti virus, I know it's not enough but with the recession it's ok, it's an hard moment. :(

I already found a plug-in to do the joomla backup. :D (proud again)

Sunshine Day

Didn't mean to make you feel ignorant. However, your claim that Windows Firewall and AVG are "enough ...with the recession" is false security and false economy. A computer put directly on the internet [which you have just done] can potentially be crippled within 5 minutes.

You can convert your "Firewall" pc for almost no spend. Purchase 2 or 3 NICS at €7 each. one for RED zone [Internet connection], one for GREEN zone [internal network] and one for BLUE [wifi] or Orange [DMZ] zones. You will probably already have 1 NIC on board so a minimum purchase of €7 for one NIC will get you 99% secure [no one can be 100% secure].

when you have that, download Endian Firewall free open source linux based. This is VERY easy to configure. It will take you approx an hour to install and configure for basic use and get you on the internet. You can then spend the next hour or two configuring each service.

Seriously, what you have is NOT secure. how much is your business worth? More than €7?

Edit : The actual download link is Here

Dear Ranger thank you for all :o , I know you are helping me maybe I shouldn't used the word ignorant cause it's to strong but it's normal I really don't understand nothing compares to you about pc's and network, then my a apologize about my last message.

Now...

Spear
    I will check it and let you know about later.
    what you mean with : "connecting the PC to the uplink port" :confused:

Ranger
    Well, I didn't imagine how inexpensive was to have a firewall. :o
    "Questions again"...
    1- the nics are plates, right?
    2- Then, how I can connect them?
    3- I need open the pc and the hub and put the plates inside? Or I should buy some type of case?
    4- About the WIFI I am in a place with no neighbors and the access point just have coverage for a few meters.Should I use a NIC on it too?
    5- What is a DMZ ?
    6- The Endian Firewall will work on the Windows system? Cause I don't have linux.

Thank you guys,
    Rainy Day :(

After that I connected this pc with the hub into the input port.

You refer to this port in the singular and mention the need to use crossover cables, which suggests you're using the uplink port rather than a normal one.

Endian doesn't need Linux, it is a Linux distro.

Spear, Upsss it's write on the hub "Uplink" I didn't see it before, sorry. :o too much things just for a person. lolol

Well I have a cross cable from the my ISP modem to the PC 1.
    I have a cross cable from the PC1 to the hub Uplink.
    Then I have a straight cable from the hub to the access point.
    I have cross cables from the hub to each pc.

Now, Tell me what is wrong here, please!!!
    I don't have a router and the Ice broadband doesn't allow connect straight into the hub cause they have private IP's.
    I just created this connection with my imagination , I hope I am not doing a big mistake. :D

tomorrow sunshine day.... I hope!!!!

Spear, Upsss it's write on the hub "Uplink" I didn't see it before, sorry. :o too much things just for a person. lolol

Well I have a cross cable from the my ISP modem to the PC 1.
    I have a cross cable from the PC1 to the hub Uplink.
    Then I have a straight cable from the hub to the access point.
    I have cross cables from the hub to each pc.

Now, Tell me what is wrong here, please!!!
    I don't have a router and the Ice broadband doesn't allow connect straight into the hub cause they have private IP's.
    I just created this connection with my imagination , I hope I am not doing a big mistake. :D

tomorrow sunshine day.... I hope!!!!

If you have it setup like that, only the PC with the ICE broadband settings will have internet access like that. There's still no sign of DHCP server.

what is DHCP server?

I got internet in the other pc's.

That's why I have the hub.

Now they are disconnect cause I need do some installations but yesterday I connected like that and I got internet in two pc's at the same time.
    The Pc1 and a laptop through the access point.
    Why you think should not work?

" Maybe was some kind of voodo" lolol I'm joking ;)

what is DHCP server?

I got internet in the other pc's.

That's why I have the hub.

Now they are disconnect cause I need do some installations but yesterday I connected like that and I got internet in two pc's at the same time.
    The Pc1 and a laptop through the access point.
    Why you think should not work?

" Maybe was some kind of voodo" lolol I'm joking ;)

Post the output of ipconfig /all from one of the PC's on automatic settings that has internet access.

Spear I can understand again, please explain it to me with other words.

Spear I can understand again, please explain it to me with other words.

Run "ipconfig /all" in a command prompt and show us the results.

• Advertisement

spear

Yes you have reason one of the ip is 169.254.....

This is bad???

I don't know what I have done, but know I am getting some error information on the connections between the pc's.... :( I was so happy in get it working....

Can you help me please? Cause I am very confuse now... :confused:

Advertisement