Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Router, do I need a DSL Modem?

Options
  • 10-11-2009 2:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi I need some help.
    My last router broke, it was a zyxel p600 i think. It was a piece of crap. I have been given a TrendNet router but it does not have a dsl port on it. Just four ethernet ports and one named "Wan".

Would I be right in sayin I need a seperate dsl modem. Any suggestions of a good buy? I only have 3mb digiweb by the way.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

lbrk wrote: »
    Hi I need some help.
    My last router broke, it was a zyxel p600 i think. It was a piece of crap. I have been given a TrendNet router but it does not have a dsl port on it. Just four ethernet ports and one named "Wan".

Would I be right in sayin I need a seperate dsl modem. Any suggestions of a good buy? I only have 3mb digiweb by the way.

i have a zyxel P 660 HW modem myself-how did yours break? mind you ive been having some problems myself-on the wireless sometimes the encryption setting is wrong and i get disconnected when i download any file over 1GB. Id like to find out myself what a good replacement for this shoddy modem might be-i was thinking along the lines of a netgear modem maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 lbrk

It was a slow process over the last few months. Firstly the wireless connections kept disconnecting as did the ethernet, but not to the extent of the wireless. It would connect to local only or not connect at all. Playing xbox live was pretty poor too. Even tryed going back to the factory settings and this lasted for a day before it was back to its old tricks.

Tryed to get a replacement from digiweb but it was like blood from a stone. So now that I have a new router I want to get rid of my third world internet by sorting out this modem problem

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

It probably would not cost too much more to buy a combined wireless modem/router and with less complications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Zyxel modem/routers do tend to die. I had 3, all of them gave in after about 2 years of use.

Simplest and best option is to get a new combined modem/router.

Advertisement