Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scope seized by customs

Options
  • 10-11-2009 1:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭

I bought a scope off eBay and of course customs seized it and sent me a little letter asking me to send on the invoice or PayPal receipt (I still don't understand my they want an invoice). I have done so and thats not the problem.

Down at the bottom of the letter it says:

"Information on purchasing goods on the internet
    Customs (Import) charges are charged on goods valued over €22 purchased outside the EU and sent to Ireland by post.

The charges consist of:
    -Customs Duty {where applicable)
    -21.5% VAT and
    -a post office handling fee of €6

Customs charges are calculated on the total cost of bringing a consignment into the country including postage, packaging, handling, insurance and freight.
    "

I thought that the value of the goods was changed from €22 to €120 (or something in that area) last December. Can anyone enlighten me on this matter?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭hedgeh0g

Ive heard that lots of govt workers have been redeployed to open up parcels and bill people for duty as this banana republic has no money so they have to squeeze a few bob from ebayers etc ...

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Brabazone

You are right, it is €22, however if customs suspect that the item is of greater value then they can revalue it by comparing it to a similar product in Ireland thus you Finnish up getting screwed. Thats what it looks like there after doing.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad new:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭Dread-Lock

hedgeh0g wrote: »
    Ive heard that lots of govt workers have been redeployed to open up parcels and bill people for duty as this banana republic has no money so they have to squeeze a few bob from ebayers etc ...

Well they did that even when we weren't in a "recession". I have imported stuff before so I know about Irish customs ;), and I'm not complaining about custom charges here. I don't like them, but I'm not complaining about them (here).

I wanted to know the value at which VAT is charged on imported items? As I was 100% sure that they raised it from €22 to around €120.
    Brabazone wrote: »
    You are right, it is €22, however if customs suspect that the item is of greater value then they can revalue it by comparing it to a similar product in Ireland thus you Finnish up getting screwed. Thats what it looks like there after doing.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad new

Hate to burst your bubble Brabazone but your not the bearer of bad news, I've been dealing with customs for years ;).

Its just as I said, I thought they raised it from €22 to €120. As I haven't been getting charged VAT all year (only on my larger orders).

But thanks for the fast replies guys.

Go to this link and read Customs Manual on Import Vat

http://www.revenue.ie/en/about/foi/s16/customs/import-export-policy/

I read somwhere in there it still €22.

Well I don't really need to read that I'm holding a letter from them in my hand ;).

OK fair enough I'll take it that the thread that was posted here last November(-ish) saying they increased the value was all in my crazy little head. And I guess I've just been really lucky over the past 11 months, not being charged VAT on my orders....Go me? :D

Thanks again for the replies!

• Advertisement

Dread-Lock wrote: »
    Well I don't really need to read that I'm holding a letter from them in my hand ;).

OK fair enough I'll take it that the thread that was posted here last November(-ish) saying they increased the value was all in my crazy little head. :D

Thanks again for the replies!

OK, sorry man, didn't mean to be the bearer of bad news.

To be honest I don't really care that much, was just a little surprised is all. It'll only be like €15 or something.
    If anything I should be counting myself lucky that I've had 11 VAT free months (and I order A LOT of stuff online).

Well there you go, they were the ones getting screwed all this time:D

Just hope my AGM gbb doesn't get seized by customs, just got my email from ebbanned saying it was shipped. Not too concerned about the VAT, could live with that but think I would lose the plot if it got seized. With a bit of luck they wont notice it in all the Xmas parcels;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

They want to see if they can charge ye, they are used to 200$ real scopes etc.

Just say its a replica scope in the email/on the phone.

They want to see if they can charge ye, they are used to 200$ real scopes etc.

Just say its a replica scope in the email/on the phone.

Yeah I added that in the email to them.

Someone also said awhile ago that customs are keeping count of the amount of scopes that are coming into the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭moggser

shouldnt be any big deal Andy the fcukers have a hard on sor scopes and eotechs and such like they took a acog off me and just wanted money for it thats all

how much is yours worth ?

the cost will be 21% and 6 euro to anpost ....now thats the ****in bit that stumps me handling fee!!!! they have to deliver it to you any way so they get a xtra 6 euro for doin so

im Moggser and that really grinds my gears.....over to you Dred

Yeah I already paid shipping, I can't understand why I have to pay an post again...

The scope cost around €55. So they're not going to get all that much off me.

Edit: Just checked my email:

Thank you for your email. Your parcel will be delivered to you on Thursday 12th November by An Post, with a Customs charge of €17.94 (€ 55.54 VAT plus €6 post office handling fee). You can pay the post person cash, cheque /postal order (made payable to An Post), on delivery.

I hope they don't mind change because I'm gonna pay them in 1 cent coins :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭moggser

Dread-Lock wrote: »
    Yeah I already paid shipping, I can't understand why I have to pay an post again...

The scope cost around €55. So they're not going to get all that much off me.

Edit: Just checked my email:

Thank you for your email. Your parcel will be delivered to you on Thursday 12th November by An Post, with a Customs charge of €17.94 (€ 55.54 VAT plus €6 post office handling fee). You can pay the post person cash, cheque /postal order (made payable to An Post), on delivery.

I hope they don't mind change because I'm gonna pay them in 1 cent coins :P.

if i had me way i'd pay them in h'pennys ha that will show them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭IVRZ

:(My scope (illuminated rangefinder 3-9x50)coming from HK is being held by customs too. Have sent the email but havent got the final bill yet. The scope costs 25 pounds including postage. Same as above 6 euro for an post on top of vat 21.5%. customs duty i dont know yet. But ya, 6 euro is a fair whack on 25, its nearly aother 25%. So my good deal isnt going to be such a good deal after all. Another 11 euro plus whatever the customs duty is. I'd not pay it at all if I was sure they'd return to sender and i could get a refund; but their letter says "your parcel MAY be returned to sender" - so i suppose no choice but to pay up and shut up like so much in deire

IVRZ wrote: »
    :(My scope (illuminated rangefinder 3-9x50)coming from HK is being held by customs too. Have sent the email but havent got the final bill yet. The scope costs 25 pounds including postage. Same as above 6 euro for an post on top of vat 21.5%. customs duty i dont know yet. But ya, 6 euro is a fair whack on 25, its nearly aother 25%. So my good deal isnt going to be such a good deal after all. Another 11 euro plus whatever the customs duty is. I'd not pay it at all if I was sure they'd return to sender and i could get a refund; but their letter says "your parcel MAY be returned to sender" - so i suppose no choice but to pay up and shut up like so much in deire

Sorry to hear they got ya too, but customs just has a thing for scopes and sights. Customs duty and VAT comes to about 25% in total.

I hope they don't pull this BS with my Aimpoint magnifier thats coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭SparkyDNut

I just got one of these letters, my only problem its I have multiple parcels on the way.. Value ranges from under 50 quid to over 100... and the letter is as informative as a politician... hummm...

Reckon it's safe to ask them what the product is or am I leaving myself open to a whole world of hurt ?

their letter to me shows the product SCOPE beside the OFFICIAL PARCEL No at the top of the page

Unfortunately mine says "Airsoft"... So I'm starting to think it's just my Mags as they would be very easily identified as Airsoft, where as the other parts are body kit, and a holster... Holster only arrived today going by the An Post site...

Well it really depends on what the letter says. If they are asking for you to send them the invoice/PayPal receipt then yeah your going to need to ask them what they've seized, otherwise how will you know which invoice to send them.

IMO I doubt they'd stop mags, it sounds more like the body kit to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭Chuck the Buck

Ring them and ask so you can send them he correct receipt. No matter what people on boards say about an post customs they are pleasent people who aren't out to screw you. As for not stopping mags they will stop anything that they get their hands on and hold it if they believe it's value is over the limit and ask you for a receipt.

• Advertisement

:D:D:DGOOD NEWS for me anyway and hopefully for everyone else too. Received this very informal email this morning.......
    Frank
    Thank you for your email. You should expect delivery of your parcel tomorrow by An Post, free of charges.
    Regards

A Womans Name
    :D:D:D:D

No explanations given; and even the an post 6 euro is waived!
    Has anybody else had to pay yet? Dreadlock? Did you have to pay?
    My scope+postage was 28.75 euro so definitely over the 22 euro limit.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I ended up sending the Receipt for the Mags, decided too the gamble, it was a very non-descript invoice, and was the lowest value.
    I've to pay €17ish on Friday.. Which is grand cause I've figured out that it is the body kit (as all the other bits arrived today), every one is happy as they're getting some money from me, I'm not giving them as much as I should... Compromise :rolleyes:

And Yes I totally agree, they are just normal folk like the rest of us, and are just trying to do their job...

No matter what people on boards say about an post customs they are pleasent people who aren't out to screw you.

I never said they weren't nice people, yes I know they're just doing their job. I just find it BS that I have to pay postage twice. Thats my only gripe with them. So please don't slate me for my opinion.
    As for not stopping mags they will stop anything that they get their hands on and hold it if they believe it's value is over the limit and ask you for a receipt.

And I never said they wouldn't stop the mags. I just said it was more likely the body kit. The body kit being more expensive and a possible part of a firearm.

And the only reason I started this thread was because I was sure the limit was changed from €22 to €120, I was corrected. Mod's can you please close this thread.

Edit:

And IVRZ thats kinda odd but lucky. I wouldn't question it too much just be happy ;). And yes I had to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,632 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Closed at OP's request.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement