Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What say ye on the Green's latest pie-in-the-sky idea....

Options
  • 10-11-2009 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭

...they're going to 'make' people use E85/whatever, by forcing 4% of fuel to be 'biofuel' ?

Like, how ? I roll up to the pumps, my car can't/I won't use it..........and, what, some guy from the Dept is going to jump out from behind the pump and make me buy it?

Complete and utter morons.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,037 ✭✭✭✭unkel

galwaytt wrote: »
    by forcing 4% of fuel to be 'biofuel' ?

Isn't all / most petrol E5 (5% biofuel) anyway nowadays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

The sooner these f**king idiots are dragged through the streets the better and they can rope in their buddies from Fianna Fail and the bankers to for good measure, we need to do what they did in Iceland, the whole country should just down tools and march in masse to the dail and order them out of office, it's gone way beyond a joke now.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...no idea, but the idea of forcing the market in one way or another..........hold on, what about the EU competition crowd ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Rules??? They only bring in the cr@p rules here and none of the good stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I'd love to get Gormless and co, and everytime they bring in another stupid idea like this, send them links to youtube videos where I fill my car with petrol, drive the living hell out of it, and let it fill the earth with Co2. Then I'll cut down a few trees. Probably kill a Panda or 2 after that.

Why does the Irish motorist get raped so much so often?

• Advertisement

Because we let them, if we all took a stand against them there might be some hope. All you have to do is look around and see the mess the government has made of everything in this country, motor trade, taxis, building, fishing, airlines, farming, health, education, etc etc. it's time to revolt and everyone knows it but won't make a move. And the governments solution? More taxes, it make my blood boil!!!!:mad:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

unkel wrote: »
    Isn't all / most petrol E5 (5% biofuel) anyway nowadays?

Generally. And all diesel sold by Maxol and maybe others in the North is B5. B5 meets the standards for road diesel (just) so can be sold without needing to notify/change anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

...they're going to 'make' people use E85/whatever, by forcing 4% of fuel to be 'biofuel' ?

Like, how ? I roll up to the pumps, my car can't/I won't use it..........and, what, some guy from the Dept is going to jump out from behind the pump and make me buy it?

Apart from being another imposition on motorists, biofuel is environmentally and socially catostrophic. What are they playing at?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,419 ✭✭✭✭cson

They'd be much better addressing the huge public transport issue Ireland has, or rather lack thereof. Car dependancy here is at ridiculous levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

John Gormley looks like such a nice fellow. But I just know that if he comes into contact with water.........

......he turns into a green monster!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

cson wrote: »
    They'd be much better addressing the huge public transport issue Ireland has, or rather lack thereof. Car dependancy here is at ridiculous levels.

Blasphemy on a motors forum. We like our cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

bazz26 wrote: »
    Blasphemy on a motors forum. We like our cars.

I agree, I'd much rather have good, clean, spacious and cheap public transport system to work and have my car for evening and weekends on quiet roads to just have a blast rather than sitting in traffic and then trying to find parking.

At least then i could have a proper fun car that i could look forward to driving for the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,419 ✭✭✭✭cson

Indeed, a bit of hitting a beehive with a baseball bat with that comment! On a serious note though, they'd solve a lot of their issues with CO2 etc by simply giving people an alternative method of transport which means they could then reduce the tax on Petrol/Diesel... :p

In an ideal world of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I wonder if the limo Gormley used to drive from London-Wales to get a ferry used 5% bio-ethanol?

They guy is a useless idiot. He could have gotten a plane for 20 euro instead of wasting taxpayers money like that. I'd say the carbon footprint of the plane journey would be lower too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Apart from being another imposition on motorists, biofuel is environmentally and socially catostrophic. What are they playing at?

First link: "Use of U.S. Croplands for Biofuels Increases Greenhouse Gases Through Emissions from Land-Use Change"
    Hi there. This might shock and alarm you, but we dont live in the US and what they do to their farmland is their problem. Our Ethanol is from waste product in Cork.

While I get you/we dont like the Green party, that doesn't mean everything they spout is automatically bad. Its clear you dont know what Biofuels are. Assuming your car is designed after the early 90s (though cars after the early 80s in practice) it has been designed to use ethanol blends.

You didnt provide a link, but I assume how this would be implemented would be to blend it into all fuel, ie "E4".
    Maxol are already selling 5% Ethanol in their fuel. The benefit to the motorist was 99.2 Octane fuel at no extra increase in cost. 4% is such a small amount the impact will be negligible all round.

The fuel you buy already contains certain additives, the milk you buy is treated in a certain way, you are already made buy things made a certain way.
    ...no idea, but the idea of forcing the market in one way or another..........hold on, what about the EU competition crowd ?
    If everyone is made change then there is no competition element. Also, the EU themselves previously wanted 10% Biofuels across the states. This was reduced as production couldnt meet demand.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Our Ethanol is from waste product in Cork.

However, biodiesel isn't made with ethanol....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

MYOB wrote: »
    However, biodiesel isn't made with ethanol....

And? The sources for Veg Oil from Biodiesel are even more varied and ecofriendly. From purpose grown crops to the massive amount of "used" Veg oil from the food industry, its all used in Biodiesel production. We just happen to be years behind Europe on this as our Government has upto this point operated a "boys club" on issueing grants and didnt reduce tax on Biofuels as would be the norm elsewhere.

Regardless, we have far more farmland than food demand, if they grow part of the fuel here and support our local economy, its win win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Its starting to feel like tree hugging eco warriors are running the country. Also why does Ryan always have that grin on his face like he's just fooled someone into doing something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Two nicely put posts there, matt.

Ireland is playing catch-up with the rest of the developed world who have been blending bio-fuels with fossil fuels for a while now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

junkyard wrote: »
    Because we let them, if we all took a stand against them there might be some hope. All you have to do is look around and see the mess the government has made of everything in this country, motor trade, taxis, building, fishing, airlines, farming, health, education, etc etc. it's time to revolt and everyone knows it but won't make a move. And the governments solution? More taxes, it make my blood boil!!!!:mad:

Why dont we then? Boards.ie is the perfect platform to launch a protest.

• Advertisement

Why dont we then? Boards.ie is the perfect platform to launch a protest.

Why don't we what? Protest against a mandatory minimum mix of 4% bio-fuel?

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

complete dopes ,i like that idea of downing tools and storming the government buildings .in a way though its the peoples fault also,they goverment keep making this country worse and people keep voting them in again ,i always spoil my vote none of them s**t w**res will ever be worthy of it.braindead morons

they say they wanna cut down on cars in the city ,but will they put more busses on routes to give a reliable service ,i doubt it ,waiting time for a bus in ireland half an hour to 40 mins ,waiting time in germany every 5-10 mns there is a bus.if they want people not too use there cars as much give us a good reason not too .

JHMEG wrote: »
    Why don't we what? Protest against a mandatory minimum mix of 4% bio-fuel?

If you care to read the post I quoted above, lose your smart attitude, and wake up to see whats going on in this country, you'll see what we should be protesting against.

If you care to read the post I quoted above, lose your smart attitude, and wake up to see whats going on in this country, you'll see what we should be protesting against.

You're suggesting we protest on a thread about a mandatory mix of 4% bio-fuels.

You are free to protest against the govt in the ballot box at the next election.

JHMEG wrote: »
    You're suggesting we protest on a thread about a mandatory mix of 4% bio-fuels.

If you don't like the Greens then protest in the ballot box at the next election.

Who mentioned a thread? I said Boards.ie would be a good place to launch a protest against the government, as in organising time and dates etc. Not simply voicing your concerns online. Sure we do that everyday here.

Protest in the ballot box.... Chain myself to the inside of it like?? :P

Who mentioned a thread? I said Boards.ie would be a good place to launch a protest against the government, as in organising time and dates etc. Not simply voicing your concerns online. Sure we do that everyday here.
    My apologies, since you were talking about protesting in a thread about bio-fuels I suspected you were talking about protesting about bio-fuels. If you want to organise a protest I'd respectfully suggest that you try a different forum to motors. Maybe politics.
    Protest in the ballot box.... Chain myself to the inside of it like?? :P
    I don't know where you put your vote:p, but I put mine in the ballot box.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

theres hundreds of things to protest against,we should just all down tools and storm the dail and beat the crap out of them all.

muah ha ha ha ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

With all due respect DB, if you're not addressing the particular thread, and instead are looking to overthrow our duly-elected overlords, take it to the politics forum... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

cson wrote: »
    Car dependancy here is at ridiculous levels.

...you're dead right, it is: and the sooner we get it UP to the proper levels, based on the extortionate taxes we pay, the fuggin' better. :mad:

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

This is just dopey Ryan keeping the green agenda in the news and trying to claim some credit. The greens seem to think that they are responsible for any company that sets up or employs anybody in any area that is vaguely sustainable. The european standard for road diesel is EN 590 and this can incorporate a 5% biofuel mix so no news!

Advertisement