Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell me it'll be alright...pleeeease

Options
  • 10-11-2009 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Had my beloved and brand new 50D on the tripod tonight. The tripod allows me to put the head at 90 degrees (so the camera is mounted in portrait). It was balanced but a little precarious. Then it happened, I bumped into the tripod and it went crashing to the floor. The legs were not extended, I was using it at about 18" height but still....

The camera seems ok. I have tried out everything and fingers crossed. I did notice that the focussing ring on the 17-85mm kit lens was stuck and required a little pressure to start moving but it seems fine now.

Please tell me I got away with it, do I need to get the unit inspected ? what would you do ?

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

dnme wrote: »
    what would you do ?

Be more careful in the future. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Dump the tripod and use one of the new self balancing Monopods.
    This place has them on special.
    www.idiotsfollowlinks.au

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

ok, serious responses please.

thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

dnme wrote: »
    Had my beloved and brand new 50D on the tripod tonight. The tripod allows me to put the head at 90 degrees (so the camera is mounted in portrait). It was balanced but a little precarious. Then it happened, I bumped into the tripod and it went crashing to the floor. The legs were not extended, I was using it at about 18" height but still....

The camera seems ok. I have tried out everything and fingers crossed. I did notice that the focussing ring on the 17-85mm kit lens was stuck and required a little pressure to start moving but it seems fine now.

Please tell me I got away with it, do I need to get the unit inspected ? what would you do ?

Many thanks in advance.
    To be honest, it's your camera so you are the only one who can figure out if it's ok or not. Just shoot with it for a while and see if you notice anything different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

if it's shooting ok - well then, you've had a lucky escape!!

something similar happened me with a 1 D MkIII with a 70 - 200 L f2.8 IS attached, fell off a very cluttered table - hit a seat on the way down which took some of the force from the impact!! :eek: thankfully both were still in good shape :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Had a similar thing happen with the D70S when it was on a Tripod. Had moved away & a strong wind came up & blew it over, into concrete straight onto the lens. It was fine, though that lens did die a couple of months later, but I think that was not related.

They can actually take a bit of punishment, but then a knock in the wrong place can be expensive. Sounds like you got away with it this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

The following tip is probably not much use with a large tripod, but I am so security conscious that it works for me.

Put the camera strap around your neck and use the tripod as a brace, even holding it sideways and at inventive angles.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56208203&postcount=11

This can make one look, however, like an escapee from a Chinese movie.

There has been mention recently of how to use a tripod "properly". It is a piece of equipment that remains a mystery...

and since I am short sighted the accident you report here could very easily happen to me.

Hope all ends well...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Thanks for the replies, I just feel sickened. I cant believe I did that. AFAICT the camera is absolutely fine. I tried all functions and they worked. But it cant be good. Surely the sensor or mirror os some other part will have moved slightly ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭petercox

If you can't tell the difference, it's probably fine. They're not quite as delicate as all that.

But next time make sure the tripod is properly balanced.

Peter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭katiemaloe

You poor thing! If you can't spot anything malfunctioning, then its more than likely grand. Sounds like the tripod is too light though... you should splash out on something more solid. No point in putting €500 worth of camera gear on a €40 tripod.. if ya know what I mean. It shouldn't be top heavy. Manfrotto make good tripods, a little pricy but well worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

A few weeks after I got my beloved 5D I was waiting on a flight from dublin airport. Was getting something out of my carry on luggage when the boarding was called and I stood my case up only to realise too late that I hadn't closed it properly :eek: The camera and 50 1.4 clanged to the floor and then somersaulted about three times off the ground with the most horrible noise I've ever heard in my life. I swear I was shaking for a good five minutes. Miraculously, no harm done though!

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

I live in constant fear of something like this happening :( I'm slightly paranoid about checking my bag is closed properly and that my tripod and head are secure before I put my 'precious' on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

katiemaloe wrote: »
    You poor thing! If you can't spot anything malfunctioning, then its more than likely grand. Sounds like the tripod is too light though... you should splash out on something more solid. No point in putting €500 worth of camera gear on a €40 tripod.. if ya know what I mean. It shouldn't be top heavy. Manfrotto make good tripods, a little pricy but well worth it.

AT LAST!!!! some sympathy :P
    katie, thanks for this. I am actually using a decent/heavy Manfrotto with a 3d head. The problem was I was using the head in portrait mode, (central mount arm extends upwards out of the socket, you press a button it and it allows it to realease and be used horizontally instead of vertically). So it holds th ehead sideways at 90 degrees allowing you to mount the camera in portrait. What I should have done is tied a weight at the other side to counter balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SinisterDexter

Seems we all have had these situations, mine being a week after buying it - still works, but I would think if all is moving well then no harm done.
    Only real way to find out if something inside moved then retake a still shot you have from before (I always take a photo when I get a new lens) and compare them.

Bring it to a technician and I think you should be ready for a tut tutting before being told the answer.

Advertisement