Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with slow internet speeds

Options
  • 09-11-2009 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hey guys, so my problem is for the last 2 and a half months the speed of my internet has dropped to a crawl.

I'm with eircom and on the 3mb package, before I had any problems I normaly had around 2.6-2.9mb broadband speed which was fine, all of a sudden one day we lost connection for several hours and when it came back it really struggled to get near the speeds it was doing before. During the times from 5 till 12 the speed varies from 0.6mb to 2mb at a push, anytime after 12 it's fine.

There are 3 laptops connected wirelessly same as before. All 3 have been scanned for anything suspect and nothing's come up. None of them use any P2P programmes. 1 is for general use the other, another mainly used for watching videos, msn and the like and the last one is mainly used for games such as WoW.

Have been onto eircom support and after spending some time on the phone to them they told me that we have too many TCP and UDP ports open, I don't understand everything about them but I've seen the number of ports go down without seeing any differnce in performence.

I've plugged my own laptop directly into the router and there was no change in speed so no problem with the network adapter. A friend of mine down the road (same router same eircom package) had the same problem before, said he got onto eircom and after some whining they gave him a new router (netopia 2247-02) and that apperently fixed any issuses.

So, any advice is welcome!

PS: It's a Netopia 2247-02 router I'm using and roughly 3 years old.

Advertisement