Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Clubs for 9 year old boy

Options
  • 09-11-2009 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hello, can anyone provide me with advice on what I should be looking for (I am a non golfer myself!) in terms of quality, brands etc in a set of golf clubs for my 9 year old son. who has been playing for 2 years and is showing very good promise.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Bring him up to your local pro and let him have a look at him. He will offer advice on what clubs will suit him best.You can then check them out in the bigger stores and online to see if he is giving you a good deal, If you feel happy with him you could purchase off him.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Atlantic1

Whatever you decide to do, don't cut down (shorten) the shafts of adult clubs. Doing so will make the shafts too stiff for him.

Thegen, I'm not sure that all local pro's would have suitable clubs. When I was buying for my son years ago, I went to Nevada Bob's. They had a good range of clubs in 3 different junior sizes. And all clubs were available individually. I bought him a driver, 5 wood, 5, 7, 9 irons, along with a wedge and sand wedge. That was more than enough.

Nhee, I'd also put an ad in a local paper looking for second hand ones. There are probably a lot of such clubs lying around that nobody is using anymore.

Good luck to you both. My son started around that age and he's never looked back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

I have a son of similiar age,just got him a new set,the best available are the U.S Kids Golf range,they stock them in McGuirks and they worked out about €160 for 6 clubs including a rescue club which he loves.
    As the previous poster mentioned don't get cut down clubs or cheap ones as these arebuilt for kids with ultra light shafts etc,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

I did buy my sons and daughters clubs from my pro. He got them in for me and charged 120.00 for each set. All I am really saying is support your local pro if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Nhee

I have spoken to the local pro but thought that I would get feedback from a wider range of people. First time to use this forum and thanks for your help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Nhee

Thanks for the advice, I will try some second hand sources. I was told by a friend that I would have to pay 200euro plus for a set of 5 but the prices you are all quoting are more reasonable. He loves the game (and other sports too so he is busy!) and I want him to have a set that will last a couple of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 galvin66

Advertisement