Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ceramic vs porcelain

Options
  • 09-11-2009 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi all,

i,m looking some advice on tiles for my sunroom. Foot traffic will be heavy enough and i was looking for advice on the merits pros and cons of ceramic v's porcelain tiles. Does the price of porcelain warrant the pros?

PS i'm not a fan of the polished porcelain

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

The biggest problem with ceramic tiles is if a chip appears on them, it is very visible because only the top of the tile is coloured.. With porcelain tiles, chips at the corners are less likely and even if they do occur, will not make a big difference..

For this reason, ceramic tiles are more than suitable for wall tiles or areas where traffic isn't very heavy.. Porcelain might be better for heavier traffic areas. Not all porcealin tiles are the polished porcelain. A lot of the porcelain tiles I got look more like a natural stone tile at a fraction of the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Wonky Knees

another thing to consider is drilling and cutting, porcelain is very tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,867 ✭✭✭✭muffler

another thing to consider is drilling and cutting, porcelain is very tough.
    Thats a good point and should be given consideration.

Thanks Muff, got a 6mm por drill bit. Thing broke after two holes and had to replace blade on bench cutter. Bitch of a tile to drill and cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The best way to drill porcelain tiles is with diamond core drills, forget tungsten and others they won't last.
    I make a small well with some blu tac on a horizontal surface to hold water and drill slowly and keep the well full, for holes on walls use a trigger sprayer to keep water trickling over the drill hole to keep it wet and cool.
    They can be bought quite reasonably from ebay.hk

• Advertisement

good tips. thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭niall_walsh

Thanks lads

Some great tips.

Appreciate all comments

Advertisement