Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lumpy tattoo...

Options
  • 09-11-2009 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi guys, mods, sorry if something similar's been asked before but I've been trawling and can't find it! I've got a pretty big tattoo on my back, done in July, healed perfectly and no problems. But since Saturday it's broken out in raised welts, really itchy and sore. It has a lot of red in it, but I don't think that's the issue (I remember reading about reactions to red ink here), as I've never had a problem before. I'm not sick or run down, and I'm pretty sure I'm not coming down with anything. I'm pretty sure it's not a reaction to detergent or shower gel/shampoo as I'm not using anything new and it's just the tattoo. Does anyone know what the problem might be, what I can do/should do...I'm kinda freaking out a little bit! I can't post a picture cos I'm not in possession of any gadgets... someone please help?!?!:eek:

I also can't get in immediate touch with the girl who did it, cos she's in aus and I'm not :( (she hasn't replied to my mail yet)

If anyone can help, I'll be their best friend :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭earleuginedoyle

to be honest i have no idea what could be causing it, but my advice is to go straight into a reputable tattoo studio near you and show them and ask them what they think!
    good luck with it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 theneurotic

thanks, if it's not cleared up by Friday I definitely will. I've no idea what's causing it, my other ones are fine :(

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭earleuginedoyle

why wait till friday, if it's as bad as it sounds??

I started a new job today and don't want to get off on the wrong foot by asking for time off to go into town :D Whatever it is, it's been on since saturday, I don't think it can get any worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

to be honest i have no idea what could be causing it, but my advice is to go straight into a reputable tattoo studio near you and show them and ask them what they think!
    good luck with it!!
    errr may be a doc would be a better choice :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭KevArno

I had something very similar to this happen to me. I had some heavy black sections on my arm start to itch about 3 months after they were done, they raised right up of the skin... it was very very very itchy and sore! It went after 4/5 days tho, and hasnt reappeared since. That was about 2 months ago. Only thing i can say is seriously try not to scratch, its hell if you do and only makes it more itchy and sore, and its probably not good for the tattoo either! Not saying its the same thing but theres my 2c!

By the way, mine had red ink too...maybe it is some sort of reaction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 krystel

well if you've just changed job it might well be related to the changes in your life.

stress can affect the way your skin looks etc ... i know my left sleeve was *very* itchy and i had some skin rash when i broke up with my ex last year. disappeared a month or so later when i got my life "sorted".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭jellyboy

Hi op
    I had somthing like what you describe and its a reaction to the ink...

I got paw paw cream and it cooled it down...for my sins i scrated it and it bled...pop into any tattoist and they could/should guide you on best cure...

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Satyr_The_Great

errr may be a doc would be a better choice :rolleyes:

I agree,, If he was going ot have a reaction to the ink it woul dhave happened by now id imagine. Go to the doc FIRST, get his opinion and treatment of necessary, then go to the TATTOOIST who did the tattoo and ask him what way it will affect the tattoo and if the medication you got from the doc can be used on it.

jellyboy wrote: »
    Hi op
    I had somthing like what you describe and its a reaction to the ink...

I got paw paw cream and it cooled it down...for my sins i scrated it and it bled...pop into any tattoist and they could/should guide you on best cure...

You cant say its a reaction to the ink without seeing the tatt and the op hasnt been to the doc so at this stage nobody knows!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies guys, lots to think about, the lumps have actually gone now, but I booked the doc anyways just to make sure there's no underlying cause...and lashed shea butter onto it for the rest of the week, just to make sure it was extra moisturised :D Glad it's gone down, but if I get any feedback from the doc on causes, I'll stick em up in case someone suffers the same kinda thing. Also, Krystel, coulda been stress that I didn't pick up on with the job and move and all, hey, who knows.
    Thanks!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

have you by any chance been on any anitbotics lately? I didn't have a reaction to some I took when I was on them, but I got heat rash, and the antibotics worsened my reaction to the heat rash, and I got full blown hives, all over :(

I found the biggest lifesaver against itching is aveeno moisturising lotion - you can get one with shea butter in it as well. It has colloidal oatmeal that helps soothe the itching, works a treat when the tattoo gets to the peeling stage as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 loconnor

I don't know what the cause is, but every now and again I get the same thing with one of my tattoos. It usually goes away within a day or two. Whatever you do, don't scratch at it!

Hey guys, just wanted to update on the lumps situation; so they went down about four days after they arrived, and the itching stopped. Went to the doctor anyway, and it's just that I'm run down :rolleyes: I guess it's true that tats and piercings are the best indications of your health, I've just never really noticed before! So, doubling up on vitamins and all for the *brrrr* winter, and lashing on moisturiser - I don't want them back!!
    So thanks for all the replies and suggestions :D

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MisterCadbury

Just after reading this thread and feel its appropriate to ask is it unusual for a tattoo to be permanently raised up from the skin? I have one on my shoulder , done 4 years ago, and it has always been raised up . As in i can find it on my shoulder without having to look at it. Is it normal?

its not normal but its not abnormal either. Some wounds, cuts heal with a raised scar, from the sonds of it thats what your tattoo has done. the first onei got has a raised scar in one or 2 spots but nothing to worry about. Bepanthen nappy rash cream on a new tattoo is great for healing, it doesnt scab as much or as heavy, and less chances of raised scarring.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭KevArno

Ok so as I said earlier in the thread I had something that seemed like this, but it went away after a few days.
    Well last nite it all came back over an hour or so!! :( mad as hell! It's itchy as f*ck and taking all my will power not to scratch.
    Funny thing is it's only the thick black lines that are affected... Really really raised up off the skin. Anyways, just thought i'd share, sorry for hijacking! :)

Advertisement