Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

L-Sign positions

Options
  • 09-11-2009 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭

Hey so I have my test coming up on Thursday and I was curious if the tester will care where my L-Signs are located. One is currently above my line of vision:
    l---------- l
    l [L]       l      
    l  o        l
    l           l

I drive a van so I am higher up so my visibility is good and the L sign does not affect it in any way but does it need to be on the other side of the windscreen?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Voltwad wrote: »
    Hey so I have my test coming up on Thursday and I was curious if the tester will care where my L-Signs are located. One is currently above my line of vision:
    l---------- l
    l [L]       l      
    l  o        l
    l           l

I drive a van so I am higher up so my visibility is good and the L sign does not affect it in any way but does it need to be on the other side of the windscreen?

Why on earth is it on the driver's side? I've never heard of people being penalised for the position of L plates, it doesn't appear to be on any of the documentation. I'd still move it though, it makes no sense to have it above the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Mcloke

My tester didn't mention anything about my L plate position and part of the white on the back window was obscured by the black on glass frame so it doesnt look like the perfect square.
    Front passenger side and rear driver side should be fine as long as it is the L on white square and not a red cut out L that some people have :)
    Good luck with your test!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

By God I don't mind saying I find my L Plates immensely useful insofar as it is clear to me that everyone around me on the road knows I might do something incompetent/dangerous inadvertently - and while I'm at it, a big shout out to all the people (lots) who have not beeped me for cutting out. My better half (driving for years) swears people in Dublin have become much nicer since she learned to drive.

In the meantime, if I could buy an L shaped car and put L plates on every available surface, I would. Equally, my better half says I don't need L plates, more a C plate, matched with an A, P, P, E, R plate, on the front, back and side of the car.

Good luck to the OP with the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Mcloke

Reloc8 wrote: »
    In the meantime, if I could buy an L shaped car and put L plates on every available surface, I would.

I have seen L plates all across the back window of a car and also on the rear windows...must have been about 10 in total and I just felt that the girl was asking for every muppet on the road to do something stupid around her as she was clearly very nervous about being a learner driver.
    I am sure with some basic alterations you could turn a smart car into an L :)
    However, I found my L plates comforting when I reduced to the speed limit on the N18 coming up to the roadworks....nobody does the actual speed limit stated and I always felt like I was in a flintstone car as people zipped by me :)

Advertisement