Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert or Mature student ?

Options
  • 09-11-2009 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Not sure if this is in the right section, if not feel free to move it.

Im 26 and have been unemployed for a few months. I'm seriously considering applying for college as a mature student next year, however due to some personal problems I left school during 6th year and never sat my leaving cert. I was quite academic in school, got a very good Junior Cert and have always deeply regretted this.

I know they say you don't need your Leaving to be a mature student, but I'm thinking that there will be a lot of applications next year due to the current climate. I'm in the middle filling out my CAO, but would I be better going back and repeating 5th and 6th year somewhere ? Thankfully my redundancy helped pay off debts, so I can afford to do this. I've looked at sites like AONTAS but can't seem to find an awful lot of information on where I can do this in the Waterford area. THE VEC site is a similiar story.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

I'm doing a Foundation Cert in the GMIT at the moment, which covers communications, study skills and maths etc. which would be an ideal route for you to go, I'd go and talk to the Access officer of your local IT. GMIT did a 10 week intense course last spring that let people go right into college courses in September, so if you could find something like that it would avoid wasting a year.

Advertisement