Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Crack in mirror CASING - NCT problem help!

Options
  • 09-11-2009 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭

Hi all, hoping you may be able to help! Car just failed the NCT on account of a cracked driver’s mirror CASING – so we must repair same (he said to just smooth it out..) and bring it back in ASAP to get the NCT cert as we need car NCT’d before Driving Test on Wed.

Any advice on how best to tackle this? It’s a red casing – and the cracks aren’t too deep or anything, would some putty smoothed over it and then touch it up with body paint I have work out ok?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Depends on the extent of the cracking. Normally what I do is bond any broken parts together, sand down and rough edges, and use sparing amounts of filler to give the surface a proper texture before painting. Some high build primer, body coloured paint, and a nice coat of clear on top sorts it all out.

Although I heard a funny story about a guy who failed his MOT because of a huge rust hole in his wing. He brought it back in and it passed after his DIY repair - which consisted of wallpapering over the hole, and then painting the wallpaper to body colour. Don't recommend it - but what a chancer :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭meesa

I had a similar situation with a back bumper on my car a few years ago.
    Just put some tape over it to cover the crack and that should do just to get it through the test then you can get it fixed at your leisure.
    I think it`s just a question of having no exposed sharp edges where someone could cut themselves on.
    BTW....I superglued a piece of heavy plastic which was the same colour onto the crack in my bumper and it lasted until I sold the car many years later!

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Armadillo

What's the make\model\year of car. Maybe someone could pick up a replacement casing or loan a mirror - strange but possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,271 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Someone nicked the plastic cover from a wing mirror on a primera I had a few years ago. I got a replacement (original nissan part), primed and ready for painting off e-bay for about €3 including shipping from the UK. Another €5 for a can of spray paint and job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

A thin strip of duck tape could get you through the test! Or even insulation tape the same colour as the car...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Before you go duct taping or using insulating tape, see if you can borrow one, or get a price on having yours repaired. 28 euro would be a hell of a waste if they decided to fail you again. You might find someone with the skills in Dublin to do it for very handy money. Plus, it will improve the asthetics of your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I reckon it most cases (pardon the pun!) the case would be dearer than the glass. I reckon the best thing is to buy a case, you can always get it sprayed after.
    You may even be able to pick a 2nd hand one up in a breakers yard in Dumpland (Dublin)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,404 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Gorilla tape is the job for this. as long as the surface isn't jagged you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

Any tape works on this, once the edges dont stick through the tape your fine, i was actually present at an NCT centre when a tester actually said all you need to do is cover the crack with enough tape and it will pass now then you can get it fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Thanks so much for all the replies, really appreciate it!!

It's a '95 Polo, so I really don't want to put any money into the car itself as it's a second car in the house. I think I'll be getting me some red duct tape or similar tomorrow and doing a little DIY on it :) Fingers crossed it'll work - I'll get back down to the test centre asap and that way if it fails again.. I have time to try get something done and get back again to them before the evening!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭cascade35

Armadillo wrote: »
    What's the make\model\year of car. Maybe someone could pick up a replacement casing or loan a mirror - strange but possible.

Ive seen this trick pulled off a few times

cascade35 wrote: »
    Ive seen this trick pulled off a few times

Maybe but unfortunately it's such short notice and I'm in Dublin, away from people I know with cars! So I think a tape DIY job in the early am is the way forward!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,404 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Tape on > do NCT > Tape off. easy!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Tape on > do NCT > Tape off. easy!

Tape on > do NCT > leave tape on....it`s a `95 polo...easier! :)

meesa wrote: »
    Tape on > do NCT > leave tape on....it`s a `95 polo...easier! :)

:D

Just to let ye know.. did a quick job this morning with some red electrical tape and it passed with flying colours. In fact the dude couldn't figure out what he was meant to be checking :D

Cork_girl wrote: »
    Just to let ye know.. did a quick job this morning with some red electrical tape and it passed with flying colours. In fact the dude couldn't figure out what he was meant to be checking :D

Great...well done...:D

Advertisement