Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom upgrades .. but what to?

Options
  • 09-11-2009 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭

I've just got a postcard from Eircom stating that they are "undertaking a programme of service improvements on our broadband network" and "your exchange BRAY will be one of the first exchanges to be upgraded."

Of course, no mention of what exactly this "upgrade" will entail, but could it be they're upgrading everyone to ADSL2+? I hope so, seeing as my line can't quite manage the full 7.6Mb/s at the moment and I'm restricted to 6144kb/s, but with ADSL2+ I could probably manage 7.6, or even 8Mb/s if I'm lucky.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

Alun wrote: »
    I've just got a postcard from Eircom stating that they are "undertaking a programme of service improvements on our broadband network" and "your exchange BRAY will be one of the first exchanges to be upgraded."

Of course, no mention of what exactly this "upgrade" will entail, but could it be they're upgrading everyone to ADSL2+? I hope so, seeing as my line can't quite manage the full 7.6Mb/s at the moment and I'm restricted to 6144kb/s, but with ADSL2+ I could probably manage 7.6, or even 8Mb/s if I'm lucky.

if you're getting 6144 on adsl then u can prob get a lot more than 8 on adsl2+.
    is that a speedtest speed or the sync speed of the router?

I'd imagine it's a speedtest & your router is actually synced at 7616

check here & here

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

if you're getting 6144 on adsl then u can prob get a lot more than 8 on adsl2+.
    Probably, but I wouldn't make it to 12Mbit/s (the current next step up) with my line stats. I'd be happy with 7.6, but if they roll out ADSL2+ over the entire network, it wouldn't surprise me if the package I'm currently on went up to 8Mb/s
    is that a speedtest speed or the sync speed of the router?
    I'd imagine it's a speedtest & your router is actually synced at 7616
    Well, you'd be wrong then, it's the synch speed :D Has been from day one, and the "Hi, your BB has been upgraded" letter I got from Eircom when the last upgrade happened, explicitly mentioned 6144kb/s, so I reckon they saw from the line attenuation that I'd never reach 7.6 on ADSL1 and pegged it at that from the outset.

Advertisement