Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question re Big John McCarthy

Options
  • 09-11-2009 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭

I know that after Big John retired, he began to work with Affliction, as well as running the ref training cours, but now that he's been back reffing for about a year, I was wondering if we are likely to see him in the Octagon again.

I ask this because I know that the Athletic Commission select refs, but, in light of the recent Cecil Peoples debate, if the UFC have some form of veto on the selection of the refs, thenit may be a lot of hot air from Dana re the judges

Anyway, long story longer, will Big John ref in the UFC again?

**edit** just a thought, am I wrong in assuming the Athletic Commissions select the refs???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Its very possible. The biggest issue right now is he doesn't have a refereeing license from the Nevada Athletic Commission. He applied for one again but they just have him on the waiting list. Once that gets through(god knows when) id say we'll see him again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

Saw plenty of him on Strikeforce:rolleyes: He kept walking in front of the bloody camera:mad:

Saw plenty of him on Strikeforce:rolleyes: He kept walking in front of the bloody camera:mad:
    I doubt camera location was his main priority :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭O'Leprosy

Seen him on Bravo last night where he was the ref for StrikeForce. Best ref in the business by far. Also runs his own MMA gym in California. http://www.bigjohnmccarthy.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

cletus wrote: »
    **edit** just a thought, am I wrong in assuming the Athletic Commissions select the refs???

The Athletic Commissions do select the refs and judges. When questioned, Dana White said, "If I had a say in selecting Refs, do you think you'd ever see Steve Mazagatti again"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭cmb.

you cant blame the ref for bad camera work and poor production values

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

cmb. wrote: »
    you cant blame the ref for bad camera work and poor production values

Exactly! Main fight was not the only 1 blocked out by camera behind the ref. Very poor production in charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Big John is licensed in California, but hasnt appeared on a UFC card there since his return, so zuffa may be exercising a veto, or it could be by chance

Wasn't 104 the only California show the ufc has had since his return or was that just LA?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Hephaestus

dunkamania wrote: »
    Big John is licensed in California, but hasnt appeared on a UFC card there since his return, so zuffa may be exercising a veto, or it could be by chance

Didn't Big John make critical remarks about the Athletic Commission a while back which resulted in them deciding not to consider him for any UFC events?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

There was a lot of conspiracy theories about John's abscence from the 104 card. He has annoyed the comissions by criticising their organisation and the skills of their refs and judges, and he annoyed the UFC when he commentated for Affliction and said that it was good to have competition for the UFC.

So some think the comissions are punishing them, others reckon the UFC are leaning on the comissions to punish him for them.

Who knows...

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭magotch07

O'Leprosy wrote: »
    Seen him on Bravo last night where he was the ref for StrikeForce. Best ref in the business by far. Also runs his own MMA gym in California. http://www.bigjohnmccarthy.com/

he is supposed to be a pretty handy fighter, loves his BJJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Locomotion

Is he any relation to 'Chainsaw' Chalres McCarthy? The former UFC middleweight wrecking machine who tore through the division before taking an unlucky split decision loss to the ultra talented Michael Bisping and was forced to retire from the sport?

Locomotion wrote: »
    Is he any relation to 'Chainsaw' Chalres McCarthy? The former UFC middleweight wrecking machine who tore through the division before taking an unlucky split decision loss to the ultra talented Michael Bisping and was forced to retire from the sport?
    ............im scared:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

He did the Fedor fight on Saturday night. Defo one of the better refs about. His timing when calling a halt to a fight is significantly better than others out there.

Advertisement