Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

UK insurance???

Options
  • 09-11-2009 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi!

I opened a thread here late last summer enquiring about bringing my car to the UK where im now in college.

I'm looking into bringing it over after Christmas and im trying to sort out insurance.

Has anyone any advice on this? Should I get insured by a UK insurer? Or stay with one of the irish ones?

I remember from the thread at the time that some people were saying to get 365 insurance for the UK. Is this expensive? And what companies offer this type of cover? The company that I was insured with in Ireland dont offer this type of policy.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has any advice, its really appreciated :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭kilasser

Speaking form experience of being in a similar situation, the only insurer that would give me a policy was Quinn. UK or Irish insurance companies will not insure an Irish car the UK, Quinn will. The price was very good as well. My advice to you would be to get the policy with Quinn before you go, at your Irish address. Then ring them with your new UK address when you go. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭cazmcco

cool, that is helpful. when i was looking today online FBD seemed to be the only major irish company that offered EU insurance. i think ill have to get ringing around!!!

Ill need to get re-insured in the car over christmas anyways so that will be grand address wise.

Thanks a mill for the info!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Most irish insurers will allow a irish driver drive his vehicle in Europe for a maximum period of 35 days in any period of insurance.

Just check your current policy and tak to your current insurers,

There should be no reason to change insurers if you are only going over for short period.

Hi RGS,

If you read my first post correctly you would have realised that im now living in the UK on a temporary basis while im in college.

I'm back and forth from home quite alot and as a result I need an insurance poicy that willl give me cover in both ireland and the UK for the year. Because I go home regularly I will be in both country's for longer than the cover that standard policies allow ie 35 days. This is why im enquiring about what companies have a policy for the type of cover that I need.

Thanks for replying to my post though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I moved over to the UK some time ago and when I checked the figures I found I could sell my Irish car (Toyota Carina E lean burn) and have most of the cost of a 3 year old Honda Accord!! (stumped up 3 grand extra).

I am insured with elephant.co.uk and found them to be the cheapest.

(just a reminder that I can tax the Accord for about 1/3 of what it cost in Ireland)

• Advertisement

Hi BigEgit!

selling my car at the moment isn't really something i want to do (although i know that i could benefit from it while im here).

One of the main reasons is because customs at home are so strict about UK reg cars in the republic. Ill have the car home quite a lot and although any UK reg car that I might own may be taxed, insured and registered to my address in the UK, there would still be complications if I was stopped by customs driving the UK reg in the republic. Ill have the car home during the summer for a long period.

Does elephant.co.uk offer Irish/EU cover for the year?

Thanks for your reply!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

No idea if they will insure a Irish car, probably not .... only one way you are going to find out for sure though :D

Thats very very true!!! ill have to get onto them during the week and see what the situation is.

Thanks for your help!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Rayne

In a similar situation, with Zurich and only covered 60 days in UK, so if you hear of any company that do insure an Irish car in UK, will you let me know, gonna do some callin myself Monday, but might not get a chance with work!

i will indeed rayne. i prob wont have to much info till next week though. going home for the weekend so ill do some ringing around then.

so far FBD and Quinn are the ones that i have heard will give the type of cover that were looking for.

i did an online quote with FBD and apparently there the only irish company that give year long EU cover as standard.

and iv heard that Quinn Ireland give UK cover.

i have a friend who's Irish, living in the uk with a uk reg car but also needs the same type of cover that were looking for. he went through a broker, told them what he was looking for and the company that they came back to him was Quinn UK.

ill let you know though when i find out some info!!!

• Advertisement

Hey cazmcco

Was onto Quinn today, they will insure an Irish car in the UK for any length of time within the insurance year! So happy days, going with that.

I'm female, 23, driving for 4 years, full licence for 2 years, 4 year No Claims Bonus

Fully Comp = €700
    3rd Party = €520

I think I'll go with fully comp as I'd like to have myself fully covered over here! But not fully decided yet as the car is nothing special and nearly 10 years old!

I hope you get yours sorted soon enough!

oh cool cool!!!

iv been to busy with college to even think about it. but thats class. thanks a mill for letting me know. was the quote that you got online or over the phone?

im in pretty much the same category as you so thats great to know!!
    ill get onto them when im home at the weekend. need to try get insured for the weekend if i can as well!!!

are you in the UK at the moment? what address did they want for the insurance? irish or UK? did they have any problems that your living over here already?
    :D:D:D

It was a phone quote. To be fair, my mam rang for me, i was working all day, she was home.
    She quoted everything in pounds(i just converted to euro for the sack of the thread), gave my UK address, yes, i'm here at moment, will send all the insurance stuff to the UK address. No bother with the UK address.

I'll need to get the insurance sorted this weekend too as my current insurance cover for UK will be up on Monday.

The lady with Quinn just said that it'd have to get it reg'd when tax runs out, which isn't another year for me thankfully, so should have no problem!
    I'm really delighted now that i don't have to sell or re register the car!

what do you mean get it reg'd when the tax runs out? do you mean get an UK plate on it when the tax is up? any reason why it cant stay as an irish reg? i should have the car at home when the reg runs out. could you get all your insurance details to your home address if you wanted?

Im presuming that it was Quinn Ireland that your mam rang up?

Advertisement