Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA mag for Ireland??

Options
  • 09-11-2009 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi all, I work for a small publication house and we have a few successful mags out there!! I have been involved in the mma scene for about 4 years now. mainily grappling and want to put out a mma mag that is soley for irish mma/grappling? It will be high gloss/highspec, but for this to work i will need all clubs on board and for me to keep in regular contact, im thinking every month so we can show pics/results of the shows all over ireland, also clubs could take out adverts in the mag and up and coming fighters interviews. Its only in my head at the moment so any feed back or ideas are more than welcome.

Cheers,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭wingnut4

hey, sounds like a good idea. If you need a designer for the magazine I charge a good rate and have alot of interest in Irish MMA, PM me if interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 brookie

will do wingnut, but we already have a web guy. But thanx any way and we will keep you in mind.

Cheers,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Does Irish Fighter cover MMA or is it still just a MA magazine?

Not the greatest time to launch to magazine is it with advertising spend the way it is.

This will be a mag that is just for mma clubs alone. Advertising will not be expensive and we hope not to sway from the point of the mag. It would be great to see what other clubs can offer and here about them. I feel the mag would show the clubs in all there splender and we will also show pics and reviews of every show across the country! Also i would try and get as many whole sellers of clothing in board, It would be great to just pick up a mag that is ONLY for the mma sport in Ireland with all the info of what has been goin on for the last month both sides of the boarder. The net is great, but to have all this in one place with out hours or searching? As mma/grappling is exploding over here this will only gain more interst from a new breed, Personaly i would like do some indepth interview with the "godfathers" the first guys who started it all of over here when no one else even knew what mma was!! Theres a lot of guys travling and making names for them selves and would be great to let people know were we are heading. Thanks for your comments, and keep the commom!!

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

brookie wrote: »
    This will be a mag that is just for mma clubs alone. Advertising will not be expensive and we hope not to sway from the point of the mag.
    Cheers

Why would they pay for advertising them if only other clubs would be getting it! surely then you would not be getting any new clients as lads would already be in clubs reading it.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

Theres in no where near enough happening in irish mma to have a magazine with only irish mma content imo, but its the same in any country thats why all the mags cover as many events and countries as possible

Thanx for the feed back lads. But as i say its just in my head at the min, so all ideas welcome. The ads would be for every thing mma/grappling related clothes,fighters etc, it would also grab the focus of any one wanting to get involved, also show case fighters who are doing well and turning pro for the first time. Of course it will start small but it would help with the push to main stream Ireland, news, interviews,double page spreads of events run that month etc,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 sonoflife

This is a good idea...MMA is massive and it is growing more an more popular all the time!...It would be great for Irish MMA Fighters, Clubs, Promoters ect!...It would be good for Irish MMA as a whole!....I hope u go through with it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

Has Roper not toyed around with something like this before?

Personally I feel that people would rather read stuff online for free than pay for a mag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

I doubt there are enough people involved in MMA in Ireland for this to be practical unfortunately. Maybe an e-version of it is the way to go (Barry O did something like this before for a while but it died out).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭cletus

speaking as somebody who used to buy ultimate grappling and fighters only fairly regularly, I now never buy magazines, instead I get my fix online. I wouldnt think of buying a mag now, as all he info is outdated when compared to the updates you can get online.

As regards an Irish only mag, there are only so many mma clubs and active fighters that can be profiled. and tbh I'd say the target audience would be quite small. Most of the newer mma fans would seem to be, in my experience, "UFC" fans, so much so that other major organisations dont register with them, let alone local promotions.

As was stated above, maybe online might be the way to go, I subscribed to Barry's mma mag, really enjoyed it till it stopped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

I did a small e-mag for 3 issues about 2 years ago. The game has changed since then but while subscribers were plenty, there simply wasn't enough support from clubs to keep it going. Not one club offered to advertise in it which I was doing for next to nothing just to keep the website afloat and pay for administration of same. (approx €120 per year) But I think we did a good job and we had some really interesting articles in it.

I think the popularity of MMA in Ireland is MASSIVELY overstated. In my experience, people would sooner sit watching a terrible Cage Rage archive than walk across the road to watch a good live fight, so if you're asking people to buy a magazine on Irish fighters they won't pay to see, I think you'll be on a hiding to nothing when you're competing against Fighters Only, Fightsport etc. For local stuff, love it or hate it, Irish Fighter is extremely popular and is getting a larger MMA section every quarter.

I think right now MMA is either at or approaching it's peak. Lots of the shows you are seeing popping up are not going to be here in 2-5 years time, and I would warrant a lot of the bandwagon clubs will be doing something else too. I'm no Bill Cullen but I wouldn't invest heavily in this if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭siochain

rovert wrote: »
    Does Irish Fighter cover MMA or is it still just a MA magazine?

Not the greatest time to launch to magazine is it with advertising spend the way it is.

yeah it has a section just for MMA. Anyone can send in comp photos or club news etc. for free. You can send in details of upcoming events and I'm sure that’s for free too. Its out quarterly and I’d say that’s about all the market can take for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Roper wrote: »
    I did a small e-mag for 3 issues about 2 years ago. The game has changed since then but while subscribers were plenty, there simply wasn't enough support from clubs to keep it going. Not one club offered to advertise in it which I was doing for next to nothing just to keep the website afloat and pay for administration of same. (approx €120 per year) But I think we did a good job and we had some really interesting articles in it.

I think the popularity of MMA in Ireland is MASSIVELY overstated. In my experience, people would sooner sit watching a terrible Cage Rage archive than walk across the road to watch a good live fight, so if you're asking people to buy a magazine on Irish fighters they won't pay to see, I think you'll be on a hiding to nothing when you're competing against Fighters Only, Fightsport etc. For local stuff, love it or hate it, Irish Fighter is extremely popular and is getting a larger MMA section every quarter.

I think right now MMA is either at or approaching it's peak. Lots of the shows you are seeing popping up are not going to be here in 2-5 years time, and I would warrant a lot of the bandwagon clubs will be doing something else too. I'm no Bill Cullen but I wouldn't invest heavily in this if I were you.

Barry i could have wrote all that but you,ve saved me having too, some people believe the Dana white type hype and think MMA is way bigger than it is.

Its big and massive compared to years ago but still a minority sport no matter how people in the sport feel.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

siochain wrote: »
    yeah it has a section just for MMA. Anyone can send in comp photos or club news etc. for free. You can send in details of upcoming events and I'm sure that’s for free too. Its out quarterly and I’d say that’s about all the market can take for now.

Cheers for the info, I havent read copy since 2005 when someone who I used to work with would buy it, not reflection on the publication just that Im not a MA guy.Might pick up a copy to see how things have changed since then.

Advertisement