Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning Flash photography

Options
  • 09-11-2009 12:47pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone here very good with Canon flash photography (speedlights)? Fancy giving me some lessons?

I'd love to master flash a bit more. I can normally get what I need, but would like to be a bit more creative.

I've read a few sites/tutorials and such, but would prefer some hands on work.

Any help would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭petercox

I'm no master of flash, but if you haven't found Strobist yet, then give that a look.

No substitute for hands-on, but definitely a great learning resource.

Cheers,
    Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

There are also Dublin Strobist meets every 4/6weeks or so. Great for getting out to meet other togs and see how they use flash. The last meetup was on Saturday.

Kyle

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

I've just received some cheapo ebay tigggers this morning....will be keeping eye on this thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

This is definitely something I would be interested in getting involved in.. Raging missing the latest meeting..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I've just received some cheapo ebay tigggers this morning....will be keeping eye on this thread!

I got mine last week and have been meaning to attend dublin strobist so now I am equpped with a few flashes and triggers I am set to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

I could spare some time if you like Paul. We could do a quick 101 of strobist methodology. I know a little girl who might be able to model for us. :) I'm up around the Charlestown SC in Finglas. It might be handy for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Daz R1

Maybe there might be a class set up :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

I'd definitely tag along if there was something set up! I can bring 3 flashes and triggers as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

Charlestown would be perfect for me too. Only around the corner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Classes would be a good idea. But it'd take a lot of organizing and that counts me out I'm sorry to say. I was thinking of smaller informal setting. So that knocks that on the head as far as I'm concerned.

If you want to get together with a large group then I'd recommend the Dublin Strobist meetings which are held every now and again. The last one on the weekend just gone apparently had 25 potogs, 6 models and 1 MUA. Thats quite a large group and can be a bit chaotic. Some people get a lot of shots others get just a few. On the plus side there are plenty of heads to pick info from, so won't be a waste of time attending one, how ever it pans out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Now look what I caused. :eek:

Seems like there is plenty of interest, and if someone is willing to give time/effort to teach, then I've no problem making a contribution.

We all have something worth teaching, and plenty more worth learning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

I might be able to give some help in organising an informal class or some sort of afternoon where we meet up and go through some stuff..
    If someone will volunteer to teach the essentials of flash then the rest should fall into place.. We can sort out location and dates then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Just thought Id add this to the thread , goes through the basics for those of you shooting Canon

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/flashwork/index.html

Advertisement