Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Floor Insulation : Single Board or Multiple Boards

Options
  • 09-11-2009 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

I am looking at floor insulation at the momment (need to place my order in the next day or so).

I currently have 175mm to play with for my finished floors. So I was looking at 125mm insulation and 50mm screed.

With the insulation is it bettwe to get a single 125mm board or split them into say a 60mm + 65mm and cross lay them?

Can anyone recommend boards with a good U Value?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

If you are using concrete screed - note min 75mm .
    Reduce this only if using a "flo" type screed .

With 100 - 125 left for insulation - you are stuck with PIR insulation only as the only option . It is better to use 2 layers as a 100 PIR board can curl and can crack screeds .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

Agree with Sinnerboy. Also look into Kooltherm (Kingspan) boards they are a high performance phenolic board that's a step up from the traditional PIR boards.

Also remember to get a board with a fibreglass facing both sides as concrete erodes the normal foil facing.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ninjaBob

sinnerboy wrote: »
    If you are using concrete screed - note min 75mm .
    Reduce this only if using a "flo" type screed .

With 100 - 125 left for insulation - you are stuck with PIR insulation only as the only option . It is better to use 2 layers as a 100 PIR board can curl and can crack screeds .

I would be looking at using a "flo" screed, I have 3 companies that I am currently getting prices from and all 3 are recommending a 50mm screed. Which leaves me with enough space to have 125mm insulation.

Would you mind PM'ing details on which boards I should be using? I have a list here of around 5 different boards but not sure what I should be looking for. (Or I can post the ones I have listed here and get recommendations on them).

Smcgie wrote: »
    Agree with Sinnerboy. Also look into ,snip. boards they are a high performance phenolic board that's a step up from the traditional PIR boards.

Also remember to get a board with a fibreglass facing both sides as concrete erodes the normal foil facing.

Cheers, again if you could PM any other recommendations on the type of boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

For experience I'd recommend two layers in a stepped pattern.

If you are using concrete screed and fear a reaction with the foil, consider using a "slip" sheet (thin plastic layer) over the top insulation board.

Vertical insulation around the perimeter of the external walls, of the floor is a very important detail. It is very important to install the vertical insulation correctly.

Advertisement