Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US: 4x07 - "Slack Tide" [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Options
  • 09-11-2009 8:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭

TV.com summary:
    Dexter seems to have finally managed to balance work, family, and his dark passenger. But he knows the balancing act can't last. A series of murders leads the department to a prominent photographer, prompting Dexter to move him to the top of his list which doesn't sit well with Harry. But Quinn's effort to bond with Dexter poses a problem with hunting the new prey. Meanwhile, Debra returns to work and focuses on finding the Trinity Killer, which Dexter fears will put her in danger.

I like the sound of that synopsis - seems it may be Debra after all that finds out about Dexter in the end plus they seem to be going back to Quinn trying to be all friendly with Dexter as a relevant plot point...

As always, looking forward to watching it ASAP :).

What did you think of 4x07, "Slack Tide"? 30 votes

Too awesome for words.
    0% 0 votes
    Very good.
    16% 5 votes
    Meh - why did I bother?
    76% 23 votes
    The Dexter/Rita variety hour.
    3% 1 vote
    Am I watching a soap opera?
    3% 1 vote
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Excellent episode and now with Dexter's first innocent killing the series may take a liitle bit of a turn. I think Trinity may have more to offer Dexter than even he imagines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Felt like a filler episode for the most part, and the twist about Dexter killing the wrong man was incredibly obvious. I do like the whole 'the code is falling apart' arc that seems to be happening though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

twist about Dexter killing the wrong man was incredibly obvious.

I thought so too, Dexter did very little resarch into the supposed killer, and never extracted a confession from him.

I did like the scene where himself and trinity went logging, very tense, even if you knew neither was going to kill each other.

I hope there is some form of twist with Quinn, because at the moment they seem to be heading in a carbon copy of Doakes direction.

I am still not convinced that trinity shot Lundy. I think the obvious lack of Anton in the last few episodes indicates it was him, especially as he thought that Deb being injured would bring them together like when he was injured.

I saw the sneak peek for the next episode and it ruined it for me!!

Also there was one of Dex's classic inner thought moments that made me LOL, but I can't remember what it was!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Regarding Sneek peak
    Assuming you mean the NEXT TIME ON DEXTER. That is broadcast in US after the episode, i know what you mean in regards to the this is not how you die. I think it's a red herring. More of a him actually meaning this isn't how your supposed to die and him being unaware that dexter means he is going to kill him. When ever they usually show that or i see it and think oh god its spoiled. It usually takes a turn. Not to mention the this is where it all began, I wouldn't be supprised if it was something like the house he grew up in and he inadvertently told him, He admitted to killing a man also but he wouldn't end up telling dexter about the whole trinity spree. Also wierd to see how he gets annoyed before a kill. With the car and garden

Now the episode, seemed like a filler one, this season is really not making me like deb. The Coffin that trinity was making was eerie, as well was the whole scene in the woods. I hope the season does not end on another HARRY WAS RIGHT angle. He was right in this ep, and apart of me wanted dexter to turn back from the boat and go back to cody. But this must be his learning curve.

Next weeks look like a cracker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Please God don't have Quinn following Dexter. We had that already with Doakes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

It was another good installment.

Also had a feeling it was going to be the wrong guy he killed. Something wasn't sitting right.

Harry telling him to kill Trinity in the woods was brilliant.

Deb gave up the CI file digging fairly easily. That pic will come back to bite Dex in the ass.

Quinn following him was way too much like Doakes. I think(hope) they're smart enough not to go in that direction again.

4/5

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

Sherifu wrote: »
    It was another good installment.

Also had a feeling it was going to be the wrong guy he killed. Something wasn't sitting right.

Harry telling him to kill Trinity in the woods was brilliant.

Deb gave up the CI file digging fairly easily. That pic will come back to bite Dex in the ass.

Quinn following him was way too much like Doakes. I think(hope) they're smart enough not to go in that direction again.

4/5

My thoughts exactly!

Lithgrow is playing Trinity very well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Can't believe how reckless Dexter is being: He kills the prime suspect in a hot case murder probe EVEN as that suspect is still favoured by the cops as the killer AND even though he, Dexter, was spotted by Quinn at the bar Farrow was drinking at. He is sailing very close to the wind here.
    I was a little disappointed that Deb seems to be abandoning her CI search. I thought that would come to a head.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

SDTimeout wrote: »
    When ever they usually show that or i see it and think oh god its spoiled. It usually takes a turn.

Actually you're probably(hopefully) right

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Furet wrote: »
    Can't believe how reckless Dexter is being: He kills the prime suspect in a hot case murder probe EVEN as that suspect is still favoured by the cops as the killer AND even though he, Dexter, was spotted by Quinn at the bar Farrow was drinking at. He is sailing very close to the wind here

That seems to be what this season is all about. The only time Dex could have killed farrow was that night. The guy stays out partying late and rita would be way too suspicious if Dex was gone the whole night. The last time he killed, rita was out of town. This was probably the only time he'd have to kill in months. He had to do it that night.

His family life is causing him to slowly abandon the code (to a certain degree) and to become more reckless. He doesn't fix a leak in his apartment and then rita finds out about the apartment. He spends feck all time looking into farrow and then kills an innocent person. The Dex of season 1 would never have let this happen. He's got to learn how to juggle family life and his hobby better or his whole world will come crashing down around him.

At the end he says "The slightest lapse of judgement might be a mistake you never recover from", right before we found out farrow was innocent. Is this a hint of things to come? The effects of this on Dexter could be significant.

Really looking forward to the next episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

yekahs wrote: »
    I am still not convinced that trinity shot Lundy.

I have never thought that Trinity shot Lundy and Deb and don't see why anyone would think that, especially at this stage... if anything, Trinity's complete inability to even kill "Bambi" in this episode should solidify the fact that outside of his cycle, he is literally unable to even kill an animal (remember, before he moved on to people, Dex killed animals to satisfy his "needs" - alluded to in this episode when he thinks about what he enjoyed doing when he was 12 :)).

I do like where they are going with the code falling apart this season - it sort of went that way last year but they didn't go far enough with it. But this time around, too many changes are happening too fast in Dexter's life. The whole killing an innocent was obvious but extremely sloppy of Dex and as mentioned, I think keeping his mother's photo around is going to blow up in his face too.
    yekahs wrote: »
    Also there was one of Dex's classic inner thought moments that made me LOL, but I can't remember what it was!

Was it "two serial killers take a drive in the woods..."? - that cracked me up :D.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Right now Quinn just thinks Dexter is having extra-marital affairs - hence the apartment and the niteclub.
    Don't think he suspects that he does anything else like Doakes did.

It seems to me that Quinn will want to get some dirt on Dexter so that he can match the dirt that Dexter's got on him (ie theft).

Second, this isn't really the first innocent that Dex has killed: Oscar Prado and the paedophile from the episode "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" were 'innocent' by his normal standards too. I suppose what's worrying Dex is the fact that at least with those two, he made a decison to kill them prior to actually doing it. This time, he just ****ed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

next weeks episode does look fooking great

Second, this isn't really the first innocent that Dex has killed: Oscar Prado and the paedophile from the episode "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" were 'innocent' by his normal standards too.

Good point. I think his own reasoning was though that he hadn't really broken his code with them, cause with Prado it was basic self defense and with the paedophile, he was despicable enough in Dex's mind to be "considered" for falling within the code. But this time, as you pointed out, he totally f***ed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Good episode. Trinity isn't all that he appears, not being able to finish off the Deer. I wonder what was wrong with Trinity when they were cutting the tree down? Dexter said something about it. Maybe things aren't so rosy at home? The "Two serial killers..." line was great.

I agree that Dexter didn't look into Farrow as much as he would have to be certain that he was the killer. Quinn is definitely going to be looking closer at Dexter now for dirt on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

For me it was the most i have enjoyed an episode of dexter since season 1.

Top notch stuff. Dexter of the last few years has been well its been ok/good and its been enjoyable i have let episodes build up now and again over the last few years maybe watch 3 or 4 at a time then leave it for another few weeks. I did that with almost the whole 2nd 1/2 of season 3.

I liked the way trinity could not kill an animal and even after 4 seasons i still dont like debs charactor, the actor is good but i hate the manurasuims and the plot points

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Love reading what you guys think, just watched it now and then came straight here to see what ye all thought of it.

Excellent episode, the best one since 4x 01 the cliffhanger one! I dont think Trinity killed Lundy and shot Deb, its not in his cycle, he couldnt even kill the deer!

I dont want to reveal the spoiler tags on next weeks episode... but ill probarbly have to go look at a preview now to satisfy my curiosity!!

EDIT: Just watched it... EEEK!!! :D

THIS IS A PREVIEW OF NEXT WEEKS SHOW, DONT CLICK IF YOU DONT WANT ANY OF IT RUINED.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL-xvNXxm_Q

• Registered Users Posts: 17,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Am I the only one that thinks Trinity is on to Dexter? It seemed like he purposefully couldn't start the chainsaw and purposefully couldn't kill the deer so as to 'suss' out what Dexter knew and was capable of.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Am I the only one that thinks Trinity is on to Dexter? It seemed like he purposefully couldn't start the chainsaw and purposefully couldn't kill the deer so as to 'suss' out what Dexter knew and was capable of.
    He was acting weird the whole episode. Even making the coffin, the look on his face was very off. I don't think he thinks dex is a serial killer if that's what you're saying. Maybe he thinks dex knows he's a serial killer. There is definitely something up with him though.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

There is definitely something up with him though.

lol, took you to episode 7 to realise that?

I clicked in episode one where he's bollock naked in a bath with a young woman and slices her open and she bleeds to death in his arms. :pac:

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Is everyone sure that Dexter got the wrong guy. Perhaps Farrow was guilty and he and his assistant where in the killings together. I think its cut and dry on that account. No confession extracted but I felt if he really was innocent he would of been screaming it loudly over and over.

I think if Dexter has killed an innocent person is changes things for the audience, its harder to root for his character if he was has done so. He is then no better than the people he kills. For that reason I think it will be revealed in the next few episodes that Farrow was in some shape or form guilty of something or other that will justify his killing. Dexter will learn from his mistake and been more careful in future.

Azza wrote: »
    Is everyone sure that Dexter got the wrong guy. Perhaps Farrow was guilty and he and his assistant where in the killings together. I think its cut and dry on that account. No confession extracted but I felt if he really was innocent he would of been screaming it loudly over and over.

I think if Dexter has killed an innocent person is changes things for the audience, its harder to root for his character if he was has done so. He is then no better than the people he kills. For that reason I think it will be revealed in the next few episodes that Farrow was in some shape or form guilty of something or other that will justify his killing. Dexter will learn from his mistake and been more careful in future.

I very much doubt any of that will happen TBH - they made a point of Angel being very specific to Dexter about how iron clad a case they had against the assistant. Dex did get the wrong guy because he screwed up due to everything else going on in his life.

As for the audience finding it harder to "root for" Dexter because he killed an innocent person... why? Dex is a serial killer FFS. He doesn't kill people because he is a vigilante hero bringing justice to the world. He kills them to satisfy his own needs. It's only the code that makes him go after those who are "deserving" of that fate but over the past few seasons, he has slipped further and further from Harry's teachings...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Forgot to mention the couple next door in my previous post. That may turn into a rear window scenario with Dexter doing more than just watching. Perfect kill for him too. He can slip out during the night while Rita is asleep. :pac:
    J-blk wrote: »
    Was it "two serial killers take a drive in the woods..."? - that cracked me up :D.

That was such a great line. Dex's commentary on things is great.

Why do people think Rita mentioned the couple next door? Think she'll have an affair with the guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Why do people think Rita mentioned the couple next door? Think she'll have an affair with the guy?

Rita isn't the type of person to walk away from her spouse as proven by her sticking with her previous husband for so long. She only left him to protect her kids. She also stuck with Dexter after he cheated on her. She's not the type of person to want to get even so I doubt that she'd cheat on Dexter.

It was just pointed out to me on another forum that at 49.30 in this episode Deb is shown crying and wearing one of Lundy's shirts -- the self-same shirt that Lundy wore in 2x12. A coincidence, or a subtle hint of something to come...

Advertisement