Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subnetwork on home lan.

Options
  • 09-11-2009 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Here's my current situation:

Existing home network: Wireless G with broadband connection. (Netopia 2247-62)

Idle Linksys WRT54GL (DDWRT Flashed) Router.
    --

I would like to be able to have my laptop and desktop on the existing home wireless network with internet access. This is slow and unreliable for file transfers etc.

I want another "subnetwork" so to speak using my WRT54GL as the router for this.

I need both computers on the internet while still having access to the subnetwork to transfer files.

I am thinking that I should setup the WRT54GL as a WDS hub or something then connect the two computers to WRT54GL via CAT5. I havent setup WDS before.

Then as far as all computers are concerned they are all on the same network but traffic between my two computers will only go through the WRT54GL and will provide 100Mbps speeds.

Am I thinking along the right lines here? I'm sure this kind of stuff is childs play to a sysadmin with adequate switching equipment.

Any info on this?What to google?What do you call this kind of configuration?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

what you can do is get the dd-wrt to initiate the pppoe conenction to the internet if you plug it directly into the netopia. Then you can just get your client PCs to connect to the dd-wrt, and it'll work.

To be fair, using wi-fi through a dd-wrt router will probably perform better than use a netopia, but for sure you won't get 100mbps wireless!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭techguy

I completely understand you wont get 100mbps wireless but you will for the clients connected to the wrt54g by cat 5.

The linksys is far from the netopia so I can't bridge.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

subnets won't speed up stuff.

if you want to get full 10/100 speed then you would need a cable from each computer to the router - at that point you can start talking about subnets

alternatively if both computers have gigabyte internet then you can just put a cat5 or cat5e cable between them to get a way faster connection - set up IP addresses of 172.16.0.1 and 172.16.0.2 to each computer and a mask of 255.255.255.0 and do not setup a gateway address

when you want to share files don't connect by name as windows will probably pick they wierless connection - connect by IP to force it to use the gigabit link

\\172.16.0.1\Sharename

I obviously wasnt very clear in my OP. But in my room I just want to network my laptop and desktop on a CAT5 network (100mpbs) with the WR54G. Then connect with the rest of the house on wifi.
    when you want to share files don't connect by name as windows will probably pick they wierless connection - connect by IP to force it to use the gigabit link

\\172.16.0.1\Sharename

Interesting, I'll try that.

in which case this page may help you:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge

essentially your dd-wrt will connect to the netopia as a client...

I've never done it, but the principle sounds straight forward enough...

• Advertisement

Hey Dardania,

Thanks a million!! That site worked a treat. The image file was enough for me..

With WDS I was always under the impression you needed to change settings on the main wireless router i.e. the netopia one.

This is working like a treat. The network acts the same way now only my laptop is hooked up to my desktop with a 100mbps cat5e connection and not wireless..

glad to hear it sorted you out - only for the fact i'm busy this weekend I was going to give it a shot myself to see how it worked. I think you're right btw with WDS about having to chnage something on the "master" router...but I belive there are many cross-vendor problems..

Advertisement