Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the most punishment work you can be given??

Options
  • 09-11-2009 12:06am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 53 ✭✭

I'm not sure if i am posting this in the write section. I'm just wondering, I often hear students saying to teachers that the maximum punishment work i can get is 4 pages. Is this rumor true? Is there a limit on the amount of punishment work a teacher can give to a student in that class?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

No, it's discretionary. Or atleast I think it is. One fella in my class got a line like 4 lines long, to do 100 times. Another had to write out a huge paragraph 50 times.

Personally the longest I had was one of those paragraphs (nearly a copy page long) 10 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Our french teacher made someone write out the entire vocabulary section of our main textbook which is some 8 pages long and has I'd say at a guess near 1000 words. There is no such thing as a limit to punishment work.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 53 ✭✭KieranIRL

jumpguy wrote: »
    No, it's discretionary. Or atleast I think it is. One fella in my class got a line like 4 lines long, to do 100 times. Another had to write out a huge paragraph 50 times.

Personally the longest I had was one of those paragraphs (nearly a copy page long) 10 times.

Thanks for the quick reply. Ya i heard its discretionary too. But i am after hearing off so many people that there's a limit on the amount given i thought it might be true. Ive never seen tham amounts of punishment work given before! Thats an enormous amount to give to person. I cant imagine what you done to deserve it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭fkt

Punishment work? 17 year olds getting punishment work? And actually doing pages of it? Good grief. I thought my school was bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

KieranIRL wrote: »
    I'm not sure if i am posting this in the write section. I'm just wondering, I often hear students saying to teachers that the maximum punishment work i can get is 4 pages. Is this rumor true? Is there a limit on the amount of punishment work a teacher can give to a student in that class?

Its a disgrace for anyone involved in the LC to be getting punishment work.

Your time is precious and you should be doing stuff that will help you.

If someone is that bad in class that they get it in the 1st place, they probably shouldent even bother with the LC:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

I don't do it, and why would I, I'm 5 years and above. If a teacher give you punishment work then they aren't very good teachers.

fkt wrote: »
    Punishment work? 17 year olds getting punishment work? And actually doing pages of it? Good grief. I thought my school was bad.

Yes punishment work extra work whatever you want to call it. Im not 17 btw im 18 and i didnt say anything about me getting it im talking about other students saying it. Yes your school is more than likely still bad. Thanks for the reply you done a really good job on sticking to the question I asked.

stainluss wrote: »
    Its a disgrace for anyone involved in the LC to be getting punishment work.

Your time is precious and you should be doing stuff that will help you.

If someone is that bad in class that they get it in the 1st place, they probably shouldent even bother with the LC:rolleyes:

I dont know about your school but in mine students would get extra work for anything small done like talking out of turn etc. Should that type of person not even bother with the LC??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Every school/class/teacher is different. Some teachers rely on giving extra work to you, some report them up the line, some make you stand in a corner and some teachers take your free time off you. Some schools expect teachers to keep all discipline problems within the classroom and not bother management. Some very well run schools would consider talking out of turn a breach of discipline. In my school, I'd barely notice that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

^ Just out of interest, am I the only one who sees something wrong in making a student stand in the corner/stand for the duration of a class? It doesn't happen much,obviously,but I can't help but think there's something not quite right there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Sophsxxx

^ Just out of interest, am I the only one who sees something wrong in making a student stand in the corner/stand for the duration of a class? It doesn't happen much,obviously,but I can't help but think there's something not quite right there.

I didn't think they did that anymore. I think that is probably the most stupid punishment ever. It's so 1960s!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Teachers have different methods of punishing students, some more easy going than others.
    One of my teachers makes students write out 250 lines if you forget anything and another makes you write out an essay 3 three times.
    But most teachers would only give out punishments if it was an ongoing thing where a certain student wouldn't bother doing their homework or bringing things to class.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,159 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Giving school work as punishment is one of the worst things a teacher can do. Every teacher education course says not to.

Lines are a waste of everyone's time, which is presumably the point, but getting a student to do school work as punishment is wrong on so many levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

ha! i think teachers in my school forgot the whole "lines" thing after about 2nd year. Like come on as a leaving cert student(16,17,18 year old) would you really do it if a teacher gave it to you? Once in leaving cert I think there is a a lot amount of respect between the student and teacher any ways.

Advertisement