Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Log Cabin experiences in Ireland

Options
  • 08-11-2009 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am considering getting a log cabin as my permanent residence, built 30 feet or so from the beach shore. So would need something that is durable and suitable for strong winds and livable all year round. Just wondering have any others got log cabins done in Ireland and what companies are good or what experiences they could share. I am totally new to this so would appreciate any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,925 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Moved to the main C & P forum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Has no one any feedback on this at all?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Been in a few of them that were kitted as full time residents. Seemed quite sturdy in all fairness. Wouldn't be very spacious if you were used to a decent house with kids running around. For 2 people it would be liveable.

Thanks Davy, not worried about the size as you can get them built any size you want, really wondering about quality etc. but thanks anyway

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Well ye I thought as much, but they hadn't been fully lived in, the owners were just moving in so was all new to them too, sorry cant give you much more than that

• Advertisement

No Worries,

thanks anyway

• Subscribers Posts: 41,289 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    Thanks Davy, not worried about the size as you can get them built any size you want, really wondering about quality etc. but thanks anyway

from my experience.

The following issues arise regarding log cabins

1. planning
    Planning seem to deem log cabins as only suitable for forestry and woodland areas. Beach side may not be acceptable to them.

2. Mortgage
    If paying for one of these by means of a mortgage then issues arise as to compliance with building regulations. the financial institution will require the build 'signed off' by a third party engineer/ architect. If the structure has not been tested to prove compliance with IRISH building regulations then it will be very very hard get anyone to sign it off.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    from my experience.

The following issues arise regarding log cabins

1. planning
    Planning seem to deem log cabins as only suitable for forestry and woodland areas. Beach side may not be acceptable to them.

2. Mortgage
    If paying for one of these by means of a mortgage then issues arise as to compliance with building regulations. the financial institution will require the build 'signed off' by a third party engineer/ architect. If the structure has not been tested to prove compliance with IRISH building regulations then it will be very very hard get anyone to sign it off.

Thanks sydthebeat,

The planning shouldn't be a problem as it will be replacing our old family summer hangout, which is made from wood and galavnise as it is. And shouldn't be getting a mortgage either. Reckon I will have to visit some companies and see some of their work. But thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,165 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The planning shouldn't be a problem as it will be replacing our old family summer hangout, which is made from wood and galavnise as it is.
    I'm afraid that won't really be of benefit,

Just because the existing doesn't comply with guidelines, doesn't allow you to build a new one that doesn't comply.

the companies I have been looking at say they comply with current building regulations, but I suppose it is something I wil have to look into more carefully

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,289 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

the companies I have been looking at say they comply with current building regulations, but I suppose it is something I wil have to look into more carefully

as long as they are willing to provide acceptable certificates of compliance, or offer names of appropriate persons who will, then no problem.

Are there no exisiting owners of log cabins on boards at all?? Could really do with advice about suppliers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I have had 4 or 5 of them constructed to my designs, the last one was in 2005. Getting them made and built to the building regulations was no different to any other building. I did find that they were more expensive than 'nornal' construction though.

I have had 4 or 5 of them constructed to my designs, the last one was in 2005. Getting them made and built to the building regulations was no different to any other building. I did find that they were more expensive than 'nornal' construction though.

Thansk Uncle Tom, wonder could you let know what company(ies) you used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 meltdown01

We have planning permission for a log home in kildare. It was a long process as we do not live in a woodland. Patience paid out in the end. We are currently in negotiation with a cpmpany in estonia. Eastern european countries have been building these for thousands of years. Visiting estonian company in January to see reference site and factory.

Thanks meltdown,

wonder could you pm me the company website please.

Advertisement