Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rear Ended by NI Car

Options
  • 08-11-2009 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭

Folks,

In a fairly serious collision this afternoon. The family (me, the wife, plus the three kids) were out on the road between Malahide and Portmarnock where there was some sort of kiddie bike road race on. Anyhow a driver attempted to overtake the kids on the bikes in doing so cut my lane. I stopped the car (was doing about 40km/hr) to avoid hitting her and a few moments later - BANG.

I was rear ended by a gentleman from Tyrone in his Suzuki Jeep towing a twin-axel trailer. I could see him going to hit me but couldn't do anything about it. So after checking all was ok in my car, I got out to see what else was going on. Now everyone appears ok so far and it's really just the car damage.

So, we swapped details (name, address telephone), but he had no insurance disc up (as it not required) so I couldn't get his insurance details. We chatted for a while and he seemed quite shaken. I notified the Gardai about this an they took the notes, but how do I proceed next?

Do I ring him tomorrow and ask for insurance details? I will let my Insurance Company know. Not sure about this?

Thanks.

BTW - The eldest (4 years old) this evening is complaining that his neck is now sore. I'll take him to a GP tomorrow, my wife has back pain now, but the rest of us seem ok.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Any problems then the Gardai can contact his local PSNI station and have the details of Insurance checked against the PNC(Police National Computer) database.

This is why UK drivers do not need to carry Insurance details. Like here they can be asked to produce it.

Im sure it will be ok as you would have known from talking to the person if they were acting shifty and trying to make up an address or phone number.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭jayok

Berty wrote: »
    Any problems then the Gardai can contact his local PSNI station and have the details of Insurance checked against the PNC(Police National Computer) database.

This is why UK drivers do not need to carry Insurance details. Like here they can be asked to produce it.

Im sure it will be ok as you would have known from talking to the person if they were acting shifty and trying to make up an address or phone number.

Thanks for the reply. TBH He was really nice, it's only after the fact you start questioning yourself. He apologied profusely and said he just couldn't stop on time. It was all polite, but only afterward I thought that I didn't get his insurance details. I've cross checked the Post Code with the address give and all checks out. It just that as I had no Ins details, I was a little concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Barr

Wouldn't worry , if there was a problem with his insurance the gaurds would have made something of it .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Barr wrote: »
    Wouldn't worry , if there was a problem with his insurance the gaurds would have made something of it .

Not entirely true.

It took about 8 months before I was notified by my insurance company, not the Gardai that were present at the scene of the incident that told me "Don't worry about the cost of the damage, let the insurance companies worry about it", that the person that ran into me was uninsured. That was over a year ago and to this day, the Gardai can't/won't do anything about it.

So, OP, don't take anything for granted. Ring your insurance company as soon as possible and explain the situation and keep tabs on the process... even if it means ringing up your insurance company a couple times a day for updates.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

It is best to contact your insurance company ,and let them know of the situation,and give them the details, his and the Garda you reported the accident to. Cover your bases. Also may sure you get everyone checked out that was in the car, and take it easy for a few days, as injuries can often take a few days to flare up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

You have the reg of the car?

Im pretty sure there is a website where you can type in the reg of a UK reg car and find out if its insured or not!

(sorry dont actually know the address!)

You have the reg of the car?

Im pretty sure there is a website where you can type in the reg of a UK reg car and find out if its insured or not!

(sorry dont actually know the address!)

Yep, have the reg of the car. I am sure, he's insure, going to contact him now. We'll see how it goes.

Found the website for checking UK insurance:

http://www.askmid.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Any problems with the insurance you can contact the Motor Insurers Bureau who should be able to get the NI insurance info for you.]

If the vehicle was uninsured the Visiting Motorists Bureau will deal with any claims.

Advertisement