Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wastewater treatment standards

Options
  • 08-11-2009 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Could someone point me in the direction of where I could find the required standard that the treated effluent has to be once it is treated in single house wastewater treatment unit, before it can be let enter the groundwater in an area where the groundwater is an aquifer for a lake which supplies water for a local group water scheme.

I know that is a bit long winded but the best way I could put it. also anyone with advice on what system would best acheive this standard would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ronocyelworc

The minimum required effluent standards produced by secondary treatment plants are

ON-SITE DOMESTIC WASTEWATER TREATMENT MINIMUM PERFORMANCE STANDARDS.
    Parameter Standard1 (mg/l)

Biochemical oxygen demand (mg/l)
    Suspended solids (mg/l) 30
    NH4 as N (mg/l) 20 Unless otherwise specified by local authority
    Total nitrogen2 as N (mg/l) 53 Only for nutrient-sensitive locations
    Total phosphorus2 (mg/l) 23 Only for nutrient-sensitive locations

This info is taken from the Epa guidelines on wastewater treatments for single dwellins

All IAB or EN certified wastewater treatment plants will perform to these minimum standards,

Advertisement