Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap secondhand software?

Options
  • 08-11-2009 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

I work as a graphic designer and intend to do freelance work in my spare time. My favourite layout program is Adobe InDesign but the latest CS4 version won't run on my G4 Mac. Although it's tempting to splash out thousands on a new computer, I can't afford it at the moment, though €4,000 on a new iMac and Adobe CS4 would probably give a good return on investment?

There seem to be very cheap versions of the program (and of the complete CS3 Design Premium) on Amazon and other sites. However, I'm a bit nervous about buying as you don't really know what you're getting.

Can anyone recommend a trustworthy site to buy from?

PS. I realise that there's no such thing as a free dinner!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,922 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

im not sure you can really buy licenses secondhand. youd want to ask Adobe about their stance on the issue.

I once wrote to stardock asking about one website selling some of their licenses really ludicrously cheap: I was surprised to learn they didnt endorse it at all, had sent a cease and desist order to the company and gave me freebies for spotting it.

So it cant hurt :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

It looks like Adobe are more open to this than most companies. Have a look here http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/152/tn_15281.html

Of course, you need to make sure that the person you're buying it from has deactivated and uninstalled it.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭ceoltoir

That's very interesting. I don't really see how they're losing out if you sell your software. You're going to have to either update or buy a new copy at some stage. Also, I can't imagine that the likes of Amazon would promote the sale of genuine secondhand software if it was considered illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

If you use the software that you have to get an update, then you can't sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭ceoltoir

• Advertisement
Advertisement