Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fitting a dehumidifier to passat

Options
  • 08-11-2009 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭

With winter getting into full swing i was looking into fitting some sort of dehumidifer into the car as the car windows are always condensing up which wrecks my head. Whether it be just a portable one that i can put in the back of the car or something i can hook up to the cars fan system

Ive done some googling on the subject and can only find standard dehumidifiers. Is there anything out there specifically designed for cars?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Tails142

yeah its called air-con :D

never seen dehumidifiers as such, but I have seen humidifiers on ebay, was searching for them cause I get dry skin in winter due to central heating and warm dry environments etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

yep, what he said, get something with air conditioning

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

ya my car doesnt have air con. so ill probably have to get one of those regular ones and put it in the car for a few hours and see if it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

is it a recent problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Would you not be better off to track down the problem....
    Off the top of my head here are some reasons a car will mist up..

Taking in rainwater, passats are prone to taking water in through the bulkhead, check round the carpets and see if they're damp.

Do you leave damp coats in the car..

Is there any chance that the heater matrix is leaking coolant into the cabin

Not using the heater, sounds stupid but lots of folks done like the heater/blower on and it needs to be in this weather to keep moisture levels down.

The dehumidifer is a good idea if you have sorted the cause, but it's no long term solution..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

Sounds like there's water getting in there somewhere tbh. It has been wet of late ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭wing52

This might sound a bit dumb,but is the pollen filter a new one?

Theyre not that expensive and should be easy enough to change.

Hpoe that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

wing52 wrote: »
    This might sound a bit dumb,but is the pollen filter a new one?

Theyre not that expensive and should be easy enough to change.

Hpoe that helps

Ah yes, I'd forgotten that one, my first Passat had a blocked filter and the heater never seemed to work near 100%...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You didn't say what year Passat... This from Honest John for Volkswagen Passat (2001 - 2005)
    ...Check very carefully for signs of water leaks (feel footwell carpets for damp). May be a structural leak, may be a blocked ventilation plenum chamber drain, or may be because the a/c condenser drain pipe is blocked leading to water being dumped into the footwell. Very important to clear plenum chamber drains of leaves, particularly the one under the battery, as water damage to the ECU can wreck the engine. Many owners remove the plastic plugs from the plenum chamber drains to aid draining.

The original pollen filter holder in the vent well is inadequate; the water ingress seal breaks down with age and allows water to leak into the front passenger foot well. There is a modified filter holder available from VW which it seems is only fitted once the leaks happen - too late! Replacement is less than £100 including labour. ...

....'Creaking dash' might actually be the underbonnet plastic cover over the scuttle plenum chamber creaking. Cured by silicone grease on the tough points. Leaks into the car often the result of blocked plenun chamber drains which are hard to find under the battery.....
    As others have said, you need to find the cause, not get a dehumidifier.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement