Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wats next???

Options
  • 08-11-2009 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

lads after ADSL2+ wats the next upgrade for landline phone line based net?? or is it fiber next???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

VDSL2 via sub-loop unbundling (Fiber to the nearest phoneline aggregation cabinet and copper to the home). Back-filling fiber into older estates is very costly, so the above is the sensible interim jump for already built estates.

Cable can keep up with this easily by making the cable segments smaller (allowing channel bundling for more bandwidth per customer).

Either way, its all about getting fiber as near to the housing estates as possible or INTO every house in new estates (this should be made mandatory for new developments in my opinion).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

With the majority of phone lines in Ireland not even at ADSL2+, I wouldn't be holding my breath for anything to be done there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The majority of phone lines in Ireland probably are at ADSL2+ but not by a huge majority .

The majority of PREMISES in Ireland are not, likely around 35-40% of homes .

As for VDSL :( eircom had a plan about 3 years ago to deploy 1130 Vdsl Cabinets in Dublin alone as you may see from a very detailed description of their plans here and involving 700km of new fibre 'nearer' their customers . The initial list of target areas was

TALLAGHT
    CLONEE
    WALKINSTOWN
    CRUMLIN
    DUNDRUM
    MALAHIDE
    NUTLEY
    DUNLAOGHAIRE
    ROCHESTOWN
    PRIORY PARK
    FOXROCK
    NEWLANDS CROSS
    SANDYFORD
    TERENURE
    SWORDS
    PORTMARNOCK
    SHANKILL
    CLONTARF
    BELCAMP
    SANTRY
    CABRA
    BEGGARS BUSH
    SUTTON
    FINGLAS
    DOLPHINS BARN
    SUMMERHILL
    WHITEHALL
    SHIP STREET
    NORTH MAIN
    PHIBSBORO
    BLANCHARDSTOWN
    PALMERSTOWN
    COOLOCK
    RATHMINES
    CROWN ALLEY

I understand they may have done as many as 30 to 50 of the planned 1130 Dublin cabinets but they never launched the product . Wake me up when they reach 200 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Calebmcd

And ADSL2+ is a Business ONLY Package with Eircom.

I can get it but i'm not paying €99 ex vat and ex landline for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

The gas company have perfected a method of blowing dark fiber into live gas lines, so if the area is piped for gas already they should be easily be able to get fiber with out major road works.
    Snaga wrote: »

Back-filling fiber into older estates is very costly,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

BOFH_139 wrote: »
    The gas company have perfected a method of blowing dark fiber into live gas lines, so if the area is piped for gas already they should be easily be able to get fiber with out major road works.

The gas company (Bord Gáis) is not a telecoms company, if they become one - great, if not (or until they enter partnership with one) then your stuck with digging up the roads.

Either way - it'll still cost more than running fiber to the local agg. cabinet and vdsl2 to the home over the existing installed phone cable. (A process already begun as highlighted by SpongeBob).

Advertisement