Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

car making a high pItch screech when I drive fast help!

Options
  • 08-11-2009 7:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi!
    I have a Citroën c2 if that makes any difference but lately it's been making a constant high pitch screech when I go over eighty or so
    when I turn the wheel or brake it goes away for afew seconds but comes back again.
    My car feels fine to drive no problems there but this noise is scarey really and embarrassing :p
    should I bring it to a garage or does anybody know what is making the noise
    thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Are there also Blue lights flashing behind you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭ella87

fast as in speed limit
    smartass!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Have you checked for somebody holding onto the roof. seriously it might be brakepad wear indicators, or a wheel bearing, hard to tell without more information

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 baldoyleautos

HI
    sounds like your brake pads are low.

I'm sure nobodys hanging onto the roof ;)
    that's all the info I have really just a loud loud screeching noise that rings in your ear when I'm driving not braking it stops briefly when I brake.it's terrible it sounds like it's coming from the drivers side it's extremely loud when you put down the window.
    yeah I thought it might have something to do with the brakes maybe brake dust or something?
    Maybe I should get the car serviced
    thanks x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

could be wheel bearing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Sounds like the squealers allright. Not a problem - this is a feature designed to annoy/warn you when your brake pads wearing thin.

Cool thanks, :) it will probably cost a fortune everything to do with this car seems to be expensive my back wiper only works and sprays when I reverse and they said to replace the faulty motor would cost 700! it can stay broken might look for a second hand part.

Now that this is solved :)

Should rear wheels spin freely with no noise when jacked up with the hand brake off ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

ella87 wrote: »
    Cool thanks, :) it will probably cost a fortune everything to do with this car seems to be expensive my back wiper only works and sprays when I reverse and they said to replace the faulty motor would cost 700! it can stay broken might look for a second hand part.

If the wiper works when you're reversing then it's not a faulty wiper motor, which should be obvious to mechanics really. Probably the switch or something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭ddarraghh

sounds like the ware indicators on the front wheels,you need new pads soon before you damage your disks too.
    your wiper fault must be related to the reverse light, citeron have some funny wiring

Confab wrote: »
    If the wiper works when you're reversing then it's not a faulty wiper motor, which should be obvious to mechanics really. Probably the switch or something.

That's what the Citroën garage said to me anyway they are prob tryin to get dosh outta me .I might ring a different Citroën garage I'm in Galway at the min for college the Citroën garage in portlaoise where I'm from closed afew months ago might phone citroën Carlow
    thanks again I know sweet sh!t all about cars :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

testicle wrote: »
    Now that this is solved :)

Should rear wheels spin freely with no noise when jacked up with the hand brake off ?
    Yes, if the car is front wheel drive. If it's not rear (or four) wheel drive, then it's a sticky brake caliper.
    That's what the Citroën garage said to me anyway they are prob tryin to get dosh outta me.
    Sounds like it tbh.
    I know sweet sh!t all about cars :)
    No time like the present to learn! You'll save a lot of cash, and mechanics will be less inclined to try one on when you do need to pay a visit. Changing brake pads is not a bad place to start - it's a lot less scary than it sounds. A haynes manual and a free hour will see it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭aspasp1

it may be your break pads, few months back it happened to me. I was going to ennis from limerick and i had the same noise. while on my way back my breaks were gone completely and it took the **** out of me. Get the breaks checked please,

I think might drive to my parents house my dad knows abit about cars he does up old motorbikes all the time he might know what to do!
    I think he has a haynes manual actually maybe it's a motorbike one :)
    I kinda guessed they wanted to squeeze money outta me I look like a 16 year old too which doesn't help they prob thought I was an easy target haha
    thanks again :D x

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

It could be your wife... My wife makes that screeching noise when I drive, however, this is nothing a wrench and a some duck tape cant fix

Yes, if the car is front wheel drive. If it's not rear (or four) wheel drive, then it's a sticky brake caliper.

As I thought. It's FWD alright.

Both sides are moving, but making a rubbing noise in both directions. Sometimes when reversing and light braking there's a screech from one side...

It could be your wife... My wife makes that screeching noise when I drive, however, this is nothing a wrench and a some duck tape cant fix

Don't have a wife because I'm a girl.
    I'm surprised you have a wife at all talking like that haha
    I'm sure she has reason to be giving out about your driving,ladys are better safer drivers ;D

Advertisement