Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP, is this a ghost in my photo

Options
  • 08-11-2009 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Please help, just back from a short visit to my birth place in the U.K.
    My G/F took this photo friday night of the house i used to in 24 years ago, the evening was a clear sky with no high or low mist/fog so when we both looked at the photo taken we were shocked. As a boy the locals always said the houses were built on an old burial ground. The school and its sports fields that i attended was only yards away from this house and in 2003 Archaeologists uncovered a 15 bedroom roman villa with all its mosaic floor. the town is also a historical town with settlers from the iron age.
    Please can anyone help. The "apparition" is in front of the tree on the left side of the photo. This is NOT a fake/ hoax.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

all i see is a small bit of mist on the left hand side, which if you look long enough, could look like a face.

In reality, its probably mist caused by whatever natural causes can make slight mists (theres lots of little mist patches at night where I live which are totally explainable) or indeed it could be cigarette smoke. Either way i wouldnt get freaked out as it doesnt look paranormal.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭porte

I understand where your coming from in regards to night time mist, but you had to be there to know that the night was dry, clear with no low mist what so ever. As for the cigarette smoke, we are both non smokers and we were the only two people there at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 shinystar

it could be condensation on hte lens.. however i can make out a face straight away so can understand why you think it could be a ghost

the condensation is a good answer but this was not the only photo taken that night, i took photos before and after all within seconds of eachother with nothing but clear pictures

still, its not paranormal. or at least too ambiguous to claim it as paranormal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

whats the panic?

Iam the biggest non believer in ghost religion haunted places and so on, if some one showed this to me i would be the first to dismiss it and say " i will believe it when i see it " but i have to say as i was there that night and knowing that the weather conditions were clear, calm with no mist or fog I know it shouldnt be there, which begs the question, what is it. This town had settlers over two and a half thousand years ago and has loads of history.
    If anyone wants info google " Bradford on Avon ". these two photos were also taken, all within seconds of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

iamhunted wrote: »
    still, its not paranormal. or at least too ambiguous to claim it as paranormal.

I disagree. I have taken hundereds of images on locations and a few time have recieved the exact same thing as the OP indoors. The fantastic thing about the digital camera is that I saw the "mist" right after taking the photo, the mist didnt appear on any photos again taken directly afterwards. I have never been able to explain it nor have any photo experts once mist and smoke were ruled out.

i will not dispute youre right to disagree. at the same time, unless any of us have qualifications in whatever you need to understand pressure, humidity, weather, how mists form etc etc etc, then we cant say it isnt natural.

i will not dispute youre right to disagree. at the same time, unless any of us have qualifications in whatever you need to understand pressure, humidity, weather, how mists form etc etc etc, then we cant say it isnt natural.

then we are not paranormal investigators if when we get something we are in no position to comment on it and that goes for anything. These images however are often taken on paranormal locations in all sorts of weather when no mist or smoke is visibly present and only lasts for one frame. Images taken immediately after are clear as day.

• Advertisement

you know, I think i just found the answer ...

"HEY LOOK THERES A GHOSTY!!"

:rolleyes:

Grimes wrote: »
    then we are not paranormal investigators if when we get something we are in no position to comment on it and that goes for anything. These images however are often taken on paranormal locations in all sorts of weather when no mist or smoke is visibly present and only lasts for one frame. Images taken immediately after are clear as day.

As Ive stated already, come round my house any evening and I'll show you much the same thing. Especially if theres water nearby.

Plus, wtf is a 'paranormal location'? I mean, really. Lets use some common sense here and not flight by night fancy.

its mist. Or if you *really* want, its a ghost. Thats should cover all bases.

As Ive stated already, come round my house any evening and I'll show you much the same thing. Especially if theres water nearby.

Just because something can be recreated dosnt exactly solve whats in the picture. For example I could photoshop orbs into an image, dosnt mean that all images have been photoshopped.
    Plus, wtf is a 'paranormal location'? I mean, really. Lets use some common sense here and not flight by night fancy.

I mean a location being investigated by a paranormal group. I figured that would need no explaining to you as you are a member of a paranormal investigation group that believes in the existence of ghosts.
    its mist. Or if you *really* want, its a ghost. Thats should cover all bases.

I must have missed the post where you are qualified to classify a photographic anomaly that looks like mist as mist and ridicule others. You are not qualified to talk either on the paranormal or on atmospheric effects so please do not be throwing "HEY LOOK THERES A GHOSTY!!" comments around. Thanks. If you wish to contribute you will find some scientific link to the phenomenon of localised mist that lasts for seconds and is visible only to cameras. That would be great, thanks.

Im not getting into a raging debate over wether this photo is paranormal or not. All I am saying is I have taken a photo like this myself and sent it to professional photographers who told me it was not a "mist".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

I can't make out any face on the first picture at all. The mist effect doesn't look like mist at all. Looks to me like the lights in the far back ground in combination with the light from the flash on the tree are contributing to the camera sensor picking up some weird colour gradients.

That orb looks like some random dust particular that caught the flash at the right angle. Try taking pictures in a dusty room, you'll see a lot of orbs. Orbs are so easy to explain that I don't know why you are so excited about them. It just looks like you are trying to see something that isn't there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭FishFood

Yep its a ghost, every blur in any photo is paranormal, couldn't possibly be light/shadow effects. Just like red eyes in photo's mean people are demons in disguise.

Still though you would think ghosts could help us out by standing still for photo's once in a while, they always manage to mess it up by being blurry and indistinct, pesky ghosts.
    Also convenient that they only seem to appear and cause ruckus in places at night, they must have something better to do during the day.

FishFood wrote: »
    Yep its a ghost, every blur in any photo is paranormal, couldn't possibly be light/shadow effects. Just like red eyes in photo's mean people are demons in disguise.

Still though you would think ghosts could help us out by standing still for photo's once in a while, they always manage to mess it up by being blurry and indistinct, pesky ghosts.
    Also convenient that they only seem to appear and cause ruckus in places at night, they must have something better to do during the day.

More original and insightful comments there. Havnt heard them before. :rolleyes: Porte your "mist" image is something to be interested in, your "orb" image ... not so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

FishFood wrote: »

That did give me a chuckle actually.
    Sarcasm at it's best right there!

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

"HELP, is this a ghost in my photo ?"

No.

No its not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Here's a messed up photo my OH took of the local church on halloween night;

15341_204071626080_661681080_4286006_4880420_n.jpg

We moved to this village only 5 months ago so the pics where for my OH's parents to have a look and see the place.

All the other photos turned out normal except this one. Funny coincidence that it was halloween night. Gave us a giggle anyway. Clearly just a burry photo. She must have moved the camera as she was taking the pic.

And here's a pic of a small graveyard that was outside the church;

15341_204073891080_661681080_4286018_7121979_n.jpg

And I'm not saying anything paranormal was goin on here btw. Just thought it was funny when we checked the photos when we got home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

I know it was probably a digital camera, but when films get exposed wrongly they produce all sorts of wierd lighting effects like one where it looks like a wall of fire is coming in from the right...
    There are probably similar effects on digital cameras
    Remember cameras "see" differently to eyes... So you won't always get something exactly like what you see (usually too dark or too bright)
    I'm not sure where the "ghost" in the first photo is, but if it's that slightly brighter patch to the left of the tree then my answer is ROTFLMAO!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

porte wrote: »
    Please help, just back from a short visit to my birth place in the U.K.
    My G/F took this photo friday night of the house i used to in 24 years ago, the evening was a clear sky with no high or low mist/fog so when we both looked at the photo taken we were shocked. As a boy the locals always said the houses were built on an old burial ground. The school and its sports fields that i attended was only yards away from this house and in 2003 Archaeologists uncovered a 15 bedroom roman villa with all its mosaic floor. the town is also a historical town with settlers from the iron age.
    Please can anyone help. The "apparition" is in front of the tree on the left side of the photo. This is NOT a fake/ hoax.

Ignore what's in bold - it has nothing to do with your photo.

Oh, and I see nothing in the pic either. Sorry :(

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

All I see in the photo is a hazy area that looks like, well, mist. I dont see any face or figure in it.

If it was cold, was your breath fogging?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

koHd wrote: »
    Here's a messed up photo my OH took of the local church on halloween night;

15341_204071626080_661681080_4286006_4880420_n.jpg

We moved to this village only 5 months ago so the pics where for my OH's parents to have a look and see the place.

All the other photos turned out normal except this one. Funny coincidence that it was halloween night. Gave us a giggle anyway. Clearly just a burry photo. She must have moved the camera as she was taking the pic.

And here's a pic of a small graveyard that was outside the church;

15341_204073891080_661681080_4286018_7121979_n.jpg

And I'm not saying anything paranormal was goin on here btw. Just thought it was funny when we checked the photos when we got home :)

hilarious stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭RodgerTheDoger

I like the saying, When you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras. I think people get carried away with their imagination. The mist photo does not look like a person, it has a weird outlike that has a face like appearance but not even a real face, bit like looking at a cloud and seeing a shape.

Regardless of how clear you think it is, it is dark you cannot see everything, pockets of mist are common, somtimes they even come from the mositure of the people standing around, you would see this sometimes driving at night - when your lights hit pockets of mist on a clear night on the side of the road.

I would say that would 99% cover the phenomenon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

No, because ghosts do not exist....
    Your looking for something that isn't, like jesus face in burnt toast, if you want to believe you'll find a way to make it so........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Mylesie

I can see the shadow on the left but it could be a stray head light off to the left or the actual flash bouncing off the tree?newDSC02193.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

Humans are pattern seeking creatures,face on the moon ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 CatHerder

Now you see him
    20061114moon.jpg

Now you dont
    20061114moon.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Mylesie wrote: »
    I can see the shadow on the left but it could be a stray head light off to the left or the actual flash bouncing off the tree?
    That's what I think too. It could also be a lens flare from that light in the background, or a hair over the lens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

KingKenny wrote: »

No, because ghosts do not exist....
    Your looking for something that isn't, like jesus face in burnt toast, if you want to believe you'll find a way to make it so........
    Pure ignorance. If everyone had this attitude, we would not of experienced or understood some of the unknown things in the world which are now common.

Advertisement