Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WATER TANK LEAKING! HELP

Options
  • 08-11-2009 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi hopefully someone can help me. Bare with me Im a woman! My water tank (boiler)? the one in the hot press in leaking. Its coming from a small cyclinder shaped thing to the left of the tank. It has a small round button type thing on the top. Dont know what it is called but it looks like some sort of valve. The water is running down from this on through my roof. I haven't turned on my heating or anything else as afraid to! My plumber is away until tomorrow so can someone advice how I can stop leak in the mean time before it does any more damage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

While I would like to help, I'm not sure that my wife would appreciate the offer to bare with you however much I might like to:D. However, given your description I am not sure what the thing you describe as leaking is, but it could be a relief valve to let off excess pressure and could be letting water by for a number of reasons. Can you turn the red button? If so try turning it clockwise and then anticlockwise one turn in each direction. If it's a relief valve that will let by more water in on direction but might stop it in the other.

Having said that, I have not come across a relief valve that's capable of letting water out into the ceiling in a hot press, so it could be a thermostatic valve or a soleniod valve. Either way, without knowing more about it, it's difficult to advise. Can you provide a pic?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭wing52

What youre describing could be either the expansion vessel

which is abot the size of a football or a bottle vent

which would fit into the palm of your hand.

They have a little valve on top like a bicycle wheels.

If the cap is there,try screwing it down to close it.

If its missing/broke.you could use one off a bike or a car!

that should stop it temporarily.

if you can see a short peice of braided steel hose,that could be for

filling the system.Shut the wheel head or the black knob to turn it off.

Other than that,its a tank fed system and thats a trip up to the attic to

put a stick under the small tank there.

Hope that helped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 hollymutt

Hi guys thanks for replies its the same as this?? Its constant leaking which has seeped through the bottom of hotpress on through my landing. I have turned off all the red wheels in the hot press but its still dripping!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭cantgetright

try twisting that small little cap on top of the air vent clock wise.

Ive tried that. ive tried twisting bith ways and still water coming from it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭cantgetright

keep a towel arround it till your plumber sorts it.
    sorry i cant be more helpfull

Will do. Thanks again, hopefully plumber will sort it tomorrow.:)

Advertisement