Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C:\Windows\system32\wuauclt.exe

Options
  • 08-11-2009 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'd like some help with this, please.

Every ten seconds or so, a small window flashes on my screen, no matter what I'm doing. It's too quick to see what it says, but I've caught it in a video; here's a screenshot from that:
    4086220014_05df918829_o.jpg

I've googled the problem and there seems to be a lot of somewhat conflicting advice out there. From what I gather, wuauclt.exe is a valid file involved in Windows updates, but this clearly isn't functioning normally.

I assume it's some sort of malware disguised as the normal file, so what should I do to get rid of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Verres

Your flickr picture isn't linking properly. If it's malware, just make sure you've backed up your essential data and then DBAN your HD and reinstall the OS.

"Nuke the site from orbit - it's the only way to be sure".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭goodlad

Your advice is format and re-install? Ya big quitter! :P

Do you have any anti-virus or anti-spyware programs running on your machine?

Download malware bytes and give that a run on your system.
    Also give bit defender a shot.

See what they come back with before doing anything mad like a format.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Verres

goodlad wrote: »
    Your advice is format and re-install? Ya big quitter! :P

Granted - it's the easy way out, but it that's just it - it's easy and quick. Plus you're 100% certain you got rid of whatever it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

If you want proper help, you have to read the sticky

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055274237

Advertisement