Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connection problems with new router, help!

Options
  • 08-11-2009 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hey folks

Our old router broke recently so we picked one up second hand, its a netopia 2247-02.

It connects to the internet fine, the problem is that some programs that need internet just won't work properly.

I can't sign in to Windows Live Messenger (error 80048820), Microsoft Security Essentials can't connect to the internet to update itself, and when I try to synchronize my computers time in "date and time properties" it won't connect either.

I've tried turning my firewall completely off (in control panel AND in the router settings), and I've tried portforwarding for live messenger, neither worked.

I never had any of these problems with my old router.

I'm pretty sure its something that can be fixed by just fiddling around in the router settings.

Any ideas?

:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 aerocell

What you need to do is run a firmware update.

http://www.netopia.com/support/intl/eircom/firmwareN.html

This will fix your problem, download locally and the log into the router homepage

In your browser address bar type 192.168.1.254
    Then click on expert mode > yes enter expert mode > Update router
    Then browse to where you saved the image and thats it really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 jonjo

Thanks, but I already did that about a week ago.

Argh! This is so frustrating!

Anyone else know what could be wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

jonjo wrote: »
    Hey folks

Our old router broke recently so we picked one up second hand, its a netopia 2247-02.

It connects to the internet fine, the problem is that some programs that need internet just won't work properly.

I can't sign in to Windows Live Messenger (error 80048820), Microsoft Security Essentials can't connect to the internet to update itself, and when I try to synchronize my computers time in "date and time properties" it won't connect either.

Any ideas?

:pac:

What browser do you use? You stated that the internet works...So I'm guessing all your browsing is grand and your just having issues with these programs and other ones...?

[[ Check this out.: http://www.fanatic.net.nz/2005/08/30/solving-error-80048820/
    ]]

red_bairn wrote: »
    What browser do you use? You stated that the internet works...So I'm guessing all your browsing is grand and your just having issues with these programs and other ones...?

[[ Check this out.: http://www.fanatic.net.nz/2005/08/30/solving-error-80048820/
    ]]

I'm using firefox. I've seen that page before and tried everything on it, got nothin out of it.

I'm certain its something to do with the router, it was just a week or 2 ago that I was using all these programs with no problem with my old router.

:(

Thanks for the reply nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Yeah I've tried all those solutions.

It's gotta be the router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Tried to reset router back to factory settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Try to port forward the ports in your router for MSN
    TCP:

1863, 6891-6900, 6901
    UDP:
    1863, 5190, 6901

Portforward.com

Edit:
    Oh it seems you have tried it LOL, Didn't see it in your first post till now. Give it another try anyway.

Yes I've tried reseting it to factory settings, didn't work.

I appreciate all the replies guys. Keep em comin. There's gotta be a fix!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Can you borrow a router from your neighbour or a family member for 20mins or so.

Thats not possible at the moment unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Make sure UPnP is enabled in the router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 thorold

The problem is with the time synchronization. Both Windows Live Messenger and Microsoft Security Essentials have issues if time and date are incorrect.
    1) Set the time and date manually and try messenger again
    2) Google "Alternative time servers" and add one of the servers in the first link in the search results.
    If you can get the time and date sorted Messenger and Essentials should work fine.

thorold wrote: »
    The problem is with the time synchronization. Both Windows Live Messenger and Microsoft Security Essentials have issues if time and date are incorrect.
    2) Google "Alternative time servers" and add one of the servers in the first link in the search results.
    If you can get the time and date sorted Messenger and Essentials should work fine.

128909531505186973.jpg

CHEERS!

All problems solved! :pac:

And thanks to everyone else who helped!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

thorold wrote: »

Nice one, every day is a school day as they say

Advertisement