Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how difficult is it to get 600 points in the leaving

Options
  • 08-11-2009 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

Do you have to be naturally quite intellegent or can someone with normal/average intelligence get it if they work their ass off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

I think memory is more important than intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

blubloblu wrote: »
    I think memory is more important than intelligence.
    Bit of both really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

to get an A1 in math, english and irish would be very difficult for the average bear imho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

I think the statistics speak for themselves - last year 56,000 people approx. did the LC, and 143 got 600 points.

1fahy4 wrote: »
    I think the statistics speak for themselves - last year 56,000 people approx. did the LC, and 143 got 600 points.

ya but how many of them needed or put in the effort to get the 600?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Daragh101 wrote: »
    ya but how many of them needed or put in the effort to get the 600?
    Alot of people put in the effort, just only very few can actually pull it off. No course needs 600 points afaik, I can guess the majority of them did medicine though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭cheekay

Its attainable...many people who get above 550 can do so if they put in 110% effort for the year. Its definately a test of hardwork. If you learn off essays for english and irish and you work for hours an hours at maths you have as much of a chance as anybody of doing very very well.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

If you believe you can, then you can :P

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

1fahy4 wrote: »
    But didn't you get 600 points?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Bonzostar

Anyone can get it if the work is put in.
    At my school last year, two students got 600 points. (Mine is a public school in the midlands which hasn't a great record academically unfortunately).
    Referring to an earlier quote, which said most go on to do medicine. That's a bit of a narrow-minded view. The two students from my school are doing Mechanical Engineering in UCD and Law and French in TCD respectively. :)

• Advertisement

Alot of people put in the effort, just only very few can actually pull it off. No course needs 600 points afaik, I can guess the majority of them did medicine though.

when i say needed 600 points, i ment courses that would requrie at least 550 but they would obviously aim for maximum points!!..

I couldnt really imagine a person that needs say 350 points pushing themselves to get 550+!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

No

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Daragh101 wrote: »
    when i say needed 600 points, i ment courses that would requrie at least 550 but they would obviously aim for maximum points!!..

I couldnt really imagine a person that needs say 350 points pushing themselves to get 550+!
    The most popular course over 550 (580 to be exact) is medicine which means you are going to be aiming very very high, if not 600 points you will need atleast 4 A1s and 2 A2s at the bare minimum which is an amazing feat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

I hate when people assume intelligence has something to do with the LC.Theres a difference between intelligence and well "Book smarts" if you wish to put it that way,I know plenty of people that get superb grades but are complete planks on a intellectual level:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭sherdydan

the leaving cert has next to nothing to do with intelligence.

I supposedly have and IQ of 131, average irish IQ I've been told is 96 i think

i got 275 points, doing no work and only ever doing a half week in 6th year. whereas some of the thick boys beat me by huge amounts.

anyway a person doesnt need any amount of points really. whatever you want to do, you can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

sherdydan wrote: »
    the leaving cert has next to nothing to do with intelligence.

I supposedly have and IQ of 131, average irish IQ I've been told is 96 i think

i got 275 points, doing no work and only ever doing a half week in 6th year. whereas some of the thick boys beat me by huge amounts.

anyway a person doesnt need any amount of points really. whatever you want to do, you can do it.
    Yeah, it doesn't only require intelligence, it requires alot of effort.

TBH, I don't really believe in IQ tests as an accurate measurement of intelligence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭sherdydan

jumpguy wrote: »
    Yeah, it doesn't only require intelligence, it requires alot of effort.

TBH, I don't really believe in IQ tests as an accurate measurement of intelligence.

i know its not really an itelligence test, its more a memory test (which i feel is wrong but hell, its the system and unfortunately we all have to play ball)

yea, i dont really see how intelligence can be measured fullstop. IQ tests are just the closest thing i know of that can do so.

all i was trying to say was that if you are that worried about getting 600 points in the auld leaving im pretty sure any auld ejeit could do it.

but ya can get by no matter how badly ya may do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭i'm a smiler

The most popular course over 550 (580 to be exact) is medicine which means you are going to be aiming very very high, if not 600 points you will need atleast 4 A1s and 2 A2s at the bare minimum which is an amazing feat.

dentistry is now the course with the highest points in the country. 570(random selection) in tcd and 575 (random) in ucc. With the introduction of the hpat you no longer need 580 to do medicine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Bonzostar

Seloth wrote: »
    I hate when people assume intelligence has something to do with the LC.Theres a difference between intelligence and well "Book smarts" if you wish to put it that way,I know plenty of people that get superb grades but are complete planks on a intellectual level:D

I couldn't agree more. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

It annoys me when people say the LC is all about memory though, and think that that's wrong. How else do you do physics, chemistry, biology, business, geography? It's all about knowing stuff (well, except for the sciences which are abit of a combo of maths + knowledge). You don't know it, you don't know the subject you're being thought. In foreign languages, you need to learn vocab and grammar, there's no other way of knowing a language. In things like English and Irish, it's a study of literature, comprehension and composition. That's it.

Then how do you explain alot of physics, applied maths, some of chemistry and nearly all the maths course? There's a good deal of intelligence needed.

It's true, the LC is not a measure of intelligence - but it wasn't designed to be.

• Advertisement

I dunno if you can remember formulas you'd be pretty sorted.Say in chemistry last year(dropped it before the end of 5th year) I understood how said atom would work,I knew which path the electron took and what shape and path it would take but then if you had me do the formula I'd be stumped...It just seemed to make the whole thing difficult for me despite the act I already knew what the formula told me:mad: .

and yeah IQ tests only show how well you can do at a IQ test :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Ian_K

How difficult? - VERY

... Close thread

Ian_K wrote: »
    How difficult? - VERY

... Close thread

Just because you deem it to be finished dosent mean everyone else does,this topic is still being discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Seloth wrote: »
    Just because you deem it to be finished dosent mean everyone else does,this topic is still being discussed.
    Yeah, you tell 'im!(?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭AidySevenfold

i repeated due to my age, took 6 subjects, was put in an ordinary level biology class, even though I was doing honours.
    needless to say i failed :P

got 275 from the remaining 5, including a D3 in hons Irish, and I didn't learn anything for paper 2, left after 35 mins.

Did 1 nights study for most other things.

could have done way better but i guess its down to how much work you do for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

In foreign languages, you need to learn vocab and grammar, there's no other way of knowing a language.

Right but quite alot of students learn off esays, reams of stuff for the oral. This makes it a pure memory test.
    In things like English and Irish, it's a study of literature, comprehension and composition. That's it.

Personally I have had to learn off many English quotes. I will agree that English isn't mainly a lerning off subject. I have three irish essays learned off, aswell as templates for the poetry in Irish and reams of stuff for the oral. Irish is one of the subjects with more learning off of stuff you don't understand than most.

Then how do you explain alot of physics, applied maths, some of chemistry and nearly all the maths course? There's a good deal of intelligence needed.

I can only agree with this statement. They are the exception.

Advertisement