Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Horrible smell in car - heater radiator?

Options
  • 07-11-2009 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, there's a really bad smell (kinda hard to describe) coming out of my vents when the heat is on. I remember years ago my dad's old 405 had it and it was the heater rad as far as I remember. Its a foul smell that would give you a headache instantly, kind of like a burning antifreeze smell or something. I'm not sure why but I would associate it with a leaking heater rad and my Dad told me that's what it is too.

Its a 00 Golf TDI, so if it is the heater rad does anyone know where would be best to get it fixed and how much it would cost?

Thanks a mil.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭Dartz

faigs wrote: »
    Hi guys, there's a really bad smell (kinda hard to describe) coming out of my vents when the heat is on. I remember years ago my dad's old 405 had it and it was the heater rad as far as I remember. Its a foul smell that would give you a headache instantly, kind of like a burning antifreeze smell or something. I'm not sure why but I would associate it with a leaking heater rad and my Dad told me that's what it is too.

Its a 00 Golf TDI, so if it is the heater rad does anyone know where would be best to get it fixed and how much it would cost?

Thanks a mil.

Might be a dead mouse or something that's crawled in there looking for a warm place one cold night. Then quietly expired when it either couldn't get out, or got slow roasted next time you started the engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Could be a knackered catalytic converter.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

kenon wrote: »
    Could be a knackered catalytic converter.

What i first thought it might be. Smells a bit like rotten eggs though dosn it? Did in my car anyways:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

More than likely a heater rad.

Where in Meath are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

No its not like rotten eggs, or a decomposing animal. Either way the heater rad will need to be gotten to though yea? It's a big job to get into it! I really think its leaking or needs to be flushed out!

• Advertisement

More than likely a heater rad.

Where in Meath are you?

Hi Martin, I'm in Duleek, but usually only at weekends! Live in Dublin 8 but would usually get any work done in home area (Duleek/Drogheda).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Im in Navan if you want ill take a quick look for you.

Thanks - PM sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Something like this happened the father years ago...turned out to be cats sleeping in the engine...and peeing on it. Stunk the car out...and Nissan covered it under warranty! How long has this been happening? Is it since the cold weather? Also, have you been using old screen wash lately?

I just bought the car off my elderly neighbor, only 48000 miles on it, runs like a dream! I knew the smell was there before I bought it but I paid so little it didnt put me off. It hasn't been used much if at all in the last 6 months, only did 10000 miles in the last 3 years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Have you air con and not used it? This smell could be bacteria in the system.
    However, i'm inclined to think of the cat dying on you!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭crazybaldhead

I had this problem recently and it turned out to be a plastic bag that had stuck to the exhaust and it melted. Smell was unbearable but it burnt itself off after a week or so. It was up under the car and not on the visible part of exhaust so still ended up putting it up on a ramp to find that out....

I'll have a good look at it tomorrow, and no there's no A/C, base model unfortunately :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

faigs wrote: »
    base model unfortunately :(

Nowt wrong with a base model, less to go wrong...;)

Is there any unusual noise from the car, especially underneath? Any loss in power?

No unusual noise and power seems normal.

Base model = paddy spec :( I'll miss driving my mothers SE model!

I'd still get the car looked at. I reckon the cat is on its way out

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

What if the cat pee'd and then died? :D

I've read people here saying 'pollen filter' in response to questions like this before - does that only apply to cars with a/c though?

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement