Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adrienne Rich in Novembers, help?

Options
  • 07-11-2009 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Right so, our teacher has said we are best to study her themes and language for the exam. I just need help in saying exactly what the themes are and what language is used in:

Trying to talk with a man,
    Storm warnings,
    Aunt Jennifers Tigers and,
    Power.

Any help would be very appreciated?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Mary007

Ste234 wrote: »
    Right so, our teacher has said we are best to study her themes and language for the exam. I just need help in saying exactly what the themes are and what language is used in:

Trying to talk with a man,
    Storm warnings,
    Aunt Jennifers Tigers and,
    Power.

Any help would be very appreciated?

Trying to talk with a man : The breakdown of her marriage and the attempt to salvage it in the desert. The metaphors used eg. bombing area suggests that the marriage is futile. Her use of strong language towards her husband and their relationship, also she feels that he is a liability ( referring to last few lines).

Aunt Jennifers Tigers : Contrast between Jennifer and the freedom of the tigers, she views the tigers as elegant and strong - wishes she could roam free like them instead of being under the control of her husband, which she feels is a huge burden. These themes are emphasised by the concluding lines and the images that Rich provides with death and Jennifers wedding ring.

We did other ones so can't help ya with the other two!! Hope that helps!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Ste234

Thanks :D That was helpful, I kind of know them well but just trying to get them as well as possible!

Advertisement