Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Album of 2009

Options
  • 07-11-2009 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭

Time for some more list compiling - Boards.ie (un)Official Best Hip-Hop album of 2009.

Here's how it works, everybody give their top 3 hip-hop albums released in 2009. Put them down in order of preference (No. 1 obviously being your favourite).

After a while, I'll go back and compile the scores and see how comes out on top. I'll apply a scoring system, so that no. 1 on your list gets 3 points, no. 2 gets 2 points, and no. 3 choice gets three points.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Everybody knows that there has been no good hip hop since 1996 and anything put out after that date is purely to annoy us real fans.

[/end obligatory hip hop is dead in 2009 statement so we can have it out of the way early on in the thread]

RIP Tupac [/end no really]

TBH, I haven't kept up with new stuff this year as much as I could have done. From my limited exposure I'm going to go with these:

1 People Under The Stairs - Carried Away
    2 RíRá - Horses Work For Donkeys Wages
    3 Rick Ross - Deeper Than Rap

Last ones a bit of a guilty pleasure but **** it, I really enjoyed it. The beats and hooks are magnificent.

Honorable mentions goes to Only Built For Cuban Links II. Newham Generals Generally Speaking also gets the rare distinction of being a good grime album. Those don't come along every day.

Most disappointing album goes to Doom's Born Like This. It felt thrown together. Many of the beats weren't great. His delivery was mush mouthed. He'd too many words crammed into his lines so his timing sounded ****. His lyrics were always the right side of obtuse before so you'd catch hidden meanings on repeat listens but this time round a lot of them just didn't seem to mean anything. He's my favorite rapper but I don't have a whole lot of hope for Madvillain 2 after this. At least the beats will be an improvement I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

Im in the same boat as BLITZ, haven't heard many releases from this year yet, Cuban Linx 2 is my favorite hiphop album of the year from what ive heard though.

Then probably Madlib - Beat konducta vol 5.

Then maybe Cunninlynguists - Strange Journey vol 1-2, or else Torae and Marco Polo - Double Barrel. I know theirs an album im forgetting to mention.

Honorable mention goes to Relapse, if my darling and careful what you wish for made the album instead of we made you and crack a bottle this would have been number 1.

Eminem, Edan, and Vakill are all meant to be dropping albums this year so my list will more than likely change, plus Meth, Ghostface and Rae are meant to have an album coming out in december, if their on form that'll definetly be in my top 3.

Most dissapointing album, Masta ace & Edo g - A&E

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Relapse 2 isn't coming out until next year, Edan's newest will be interesting.

Orizio wrote: »
    Relapse 2 isn't coming out until next year, Edan's newest will be interesting.

Until next year, thanks, i didn't think it would be out this year but i hadn't heard that it got pushed back.

Yeah Edan's album is meant to be great, as far as i know it's an instrumental so it should be interesting, he's probably better behind the boards than he is on the mic, and thats saying something!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

1. Dirty Genes - Mojoe
    2. This Ain't A Mixtape - Curren$y
    3. Beautiful: Opus of Love Deeper Then Flesh - Kan Kick
    4. Dr No's Ethiopium - Oh No
    5. The Art Of Ink - Big Tone

6. More Grey Hairs - Reks
    7. Blaqkout - DJ Quik & Kurupt
    8. Butter - Hudson Mohawke
    9. Everything's Good Ugly - Che Grand
    10. Strange Journey Vol. 2 - Cunninlynguists

11. Kings Of Sleep - Psy/OPSogist
    12. Troubadour - K'naan
    13. Nowalataz - 14kt

Couldn't get to 20. Terrible year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Yea, lads if i'm actually gonna compile a list with a definite winner, keep it to three please. thought it might be cool to have a victor to one of these best of threads for a change.

And one vote each please!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

#1 Eyedea and Abilities - By The Throat
    #2 P.O.S. - Never Better
    #3 BK-One - Radio Do Canibal

A Rhymesayers top 3. But, there is still alot to come out this year and alot that has been released that i havent heard yet. I dont think anything will knock my top 2 though

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Da GOAT

Listening to your 3 Boom Bap, really dont like Eyedea at all. Id put it down to taste more than anything.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Da GOAT wrote: »
    Listening to your 3 Boom Bap, really dont like Eyedea at all. Id put it down to taste more than anything.

totally agree there, alot of fans really dont like the Eyedea and Abilities album and i honestly dont expect other to have it in thier top albums of the year. But it just all sounds right to me.

I've also been listening to Brother Ali Us alot more, and it's growing on me alot and is probably pushing out BK One on my list.

Da GOAT wrote: »

Im the same as you, cant really get into the new Eyedea album, very different, especially in production. I'd say its an album that grows on though, like the new Cage album

• Advertisement

horsebox09 wrote: »
    Im the same as you, cant really get into the new Eyedea album, very different, especially in production. I'd say its an album that grows on though, like the new Cage album

i really like the new Cage album along with the EP he released earlier in the year :D

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    i really like the new Cage album along with the EP he released earlier in the year :D

Yeah i think its good aswell, didn't really like it at first but it grew on me, Cage really changed though!

horsebox09 wrote: »
    Yeah i think its good aswell, didn't really like it at first but it grew on me, Cage really changed though!
    there is a huge gulf between movies for the blind and depart from me. But Hellz Winter brigdes the gap.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    there is a huge gulf between movies for the blind and depart from me. But Hellz Winter brigdes the gap.

Definetly, Movies for the Blind/Waterworld with Tame One was the Cage that i was used to. But Hellz Winter does bridge the gap perfectly.

Id say Hellz Winter is his best album, either that or Waterworld, he actualy has a very solid discog

really enjoyed Waterworld and i have to agree, great discog. He also has a greatest hits album, and there is an album of demo's floating around. Some of it is really raw but it's worth listening to for the original extended Agent orange.

Anyway, we are taking this thread way off topic.....sorry floggg

I heard bits of his demo, drops the N bomb alot!

Yeah sorry Flogg, + i never gave my proper list of albums

1. Cuban Linx 2
    2. Cunninlyguists - Strange Journey Vol.2
    3. Torae & Marco Polo - Double Barrel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

Diamond District - In the ruff
    Panacea - The Re-Route
    Finale - A Pipe dream and a promise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭powerzjim

mines probably Raekwon - Only Built For Cuban Linx

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Have been holding off posting my response for a while now, still trying to figure out my top spots myself! I have had one and two sorted in my head for a long while now, but it's who makes it to three that I could never figure!

Anyway, here goes my list.

1. K'naan - Troubador
    from the first time I heard Somalia I knew this was go na be special. Well over six months later and it still occupies most of the spots on my iPods top 25 list! My second favourite album I listened to this year is dusty foot philosopher, but I guess I can't sneak that into a 2009 best of!

2 Blitz the Ambassador - stereotype
    Again I knew as soon as I heard breathe that this would be special. It doesn't seem as if any of the rest of you are giving it the same love, but I it's one of the best albums I've heard in years. Dying to live, lovers remorse, breathe and something to believe in are just amazing.

3. Raekwon - OBFCL II
    Despite the fact that the seem to have ****ed up new wu from the earlier version I got (the drums just don't seem half as sharp) I think this is real quality. House of flying daggers is one of the greatest wu bangers of all time! Took a bit of time for me to truly appreciate it, but I think that was down to my expectations being too high.

Honourable mentions have to go to marco polo and torae, cormega and fashawn but they just couldn't push rae from the list

i'm slowly working my way through the albums mentioned that i havent checked out yet. Blitz will be next on the list. Tried to get the new Panacea record but ended up getting one from last year instead. Never heard them before and I have to admint, very impressed, i must look harder for this years album.

• Advertisement
Advertisement