Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are fps games easier on larger screens?

Options
  • 07-11-2009 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

It would seem to make sense if they were - larger targets etc...

does screen size effect the difficulty of fps games? 40 votes

Yes lots
    0% 0 votes
    A little bit
    32% 13 votes
    No not at all, or only in unusual extreme circumstances
    35% 14 votes
    atari jaguar
    32% 13 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I don't think it would make it easier, but alot better and fun to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I've got a Dell 30", but while it immerses you in the game, you miss detail on the edges of the screen. I think the best for FPS would be a 22/24 inch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I have a 15.4" laptop myself.
    I think it might be harder to aim accurately on the smaller screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

Not really.

With a larger monitor you'll tend to play with a higher resolution and in that case things will appear smaller albeit with more content on screen.

Its more a personal preference, but for me, a 19" CRT with a low resolution 800*600 or 1024*768 gave me the best aim and thats ignoring the ol refresh rate etc etc. I did see an improvement going from a 15" CRT to 19" CRT tho prob because I kept using the same resolution and in that case stuff did appear bigger and easier to hit.

These days tho I use a 24" LCD with a widescreen resolution because I dont' want a big ol CRT on the desk and find the 24" better for everything else other than fps games :\

If a 19" lcd/oled type thing comes out that acts exactly like an old CRT I'd buy it in a second and use it just for games :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

nope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

No, sure all the "pro's" play at crappy resolutions like 640x480 and 800x600.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Jaybl

I have a 32 inch and a 19 inch monitor in my room and I always use the monitor because when playing fps on the 32 inch it fell really weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

TomCo wrote: »
    No, sure all the "pro's" play at crappy resolutions like 640x480 and 800x600.

Wait. Am I a pro, beacuse I have to play at crappy resolutions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

A bigger monitor is actually harder to play on as You gotta move Your head slightly, its the first thing I noticed when I bought my 24 inch, takes getting used to

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ive 2 360`s set up on 2 samsung monitors, a 22" and a 24".
    The games look great on them especially the 24".
    I tried running on my panasonic viera 32"lcd tv @ 1080p,yeah it was bigger but didnt look as nice at all.

I also have my pc running on the same 24" monitor it too looks a hell of a lot better on the monitor than tv.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Response time is another variable to take in to account. I'd imagine a 40" LCD TV would be nowhere near a 20" LCD monitor.

I think it was easier when I used a 19" monitor than it is on the 15.4" laptop.
    You can adjust the field of view in a lot of games. I find that if I set it too wide on the small screen that it is difficult to aim accurately.
    I think that a very big screen is probably also more difficult and probably something around 20" would be best, after reading the comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

No I dont think so, as you get bigger you would start to have to move your head more or eyes alot more than you would with a smaller sized screen. Also resolution would make the targets smaller still so it has no effects on how good you'll play imo, however bigger is better if you want immersion into the game.

Ive got a 22" at the moment and I think its the right size for fps's give or take a few inches. Will probably be getting a 24" 120hz monitor when one does finally get released, hopefully soon for the extra hertz, size and res but I wont go above that. The extra hertz will make a bigger difference on how good youll play than a bigger screen would I would think.

resolution settings don't effect the size of characters and objects in most games I don't think; only the field of view effects it.
    I think that a too-large screen would effect how much you can take in, and a too-small screen would effect your ability to aim at small objects...changing the field of view has a noticeable effect in each way anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

Yeah your right with the resolution field of view thing when your changing from a 4:3 aspect ratio to a 16:10/16:9 widescreen ratio, however within each type the bigger the resolution the smaller and more defined the graphics become so it does have an effect how easy it is to see things. FoV in-game does make things bigger or smaller to counter-act it though, only thing is youll see less on the edges as you make things bigger and nearer looking in the center, all about preference.

Advertisement