Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to study Business?

Options
  • 07-11-2009 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭

I understand that the definitions have to be word for word, but does everything else? For example, if you were giving sa the advantages of meetings, man power planning or whatever, would it have to be straight of out of the book, or does it just have to have the key words?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

theowen wrote: »
    I understand that the definitions have to be word for word, but does everything else?

Why do you think that definitions have to be word for word? That's definitely not the case. All you need to do is define what the word means, not learn a series of words off by heart...

Nothing has to be word for word in any subject as regards to definitions. I'd say if you looked at the different textbooks they'd each have differently worded phrases for everything. All you have to do in Business is label and explain, as long as your explanation is correct, you get full marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Reillyman wrote: »
    Why do you think that definitions have to be word for word? That's definitely not the case. All you need to do is define what the word means, not learn a series of words off by heart...

Nothing has to be word for word in any subject as regards to definitions. I'd say if you looked at the different textbooks they'd each have differently worded phrases for everything. All you have to do in Business is label and explain, as long as your explanation is correct, you get full marks.
    Well, a business teacher last year told me the defintions had to be word for word, from any text book, and two this year. I don't mind the definitions though, it's just the paragraph type answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭*giggles*

You definitely need your definitions for the short questions, but then you just have to mention them in the long questions/ABQ.
    Anyone else taking pleasure in the fact that Unit 2 is only one chapter long?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Irishtrojan

no way do you need to have a word for word in my opinion. Willy Murphy hasn't said it was necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

it defo does not have to be word for word....this is nonsense..
    if you can explain a term or whatever in a way that provides the same information as the exact definition youll be sound!!!!

P.s hope to god that teacher isnt correcting my exam:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

Look at the marking schemes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭irishultra

What is management? management is the operational process which involves the essential management functions of blah blah blah blah

then you give an example-a production manager is a type of manager.

i think thats what you have to do.

just learn stuff off as exam questions so when learning the functions of hrm for example, write it as if you were doing an exam.
    i just write down 5-6 points coz thats all you need in the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

did business last year - loved it :D

you dont need the definitions to be off my heart, but there are keywords in the book definition that you must include, thats the difference. in the short questions give an example if at all possible - an extra 2 marks from the 5 mark question are often for examples.

in long questions explain everything! You definitly have to believe that the examiner is thick is this subject.
    eg "outline, using examples the role of an interest group in the business world" (10 marks)
    so youd start of "an interest group is an organisation that represents a group of people with a common interest. An example of an interest group that influences business is green peace. green peace has lobbied the govt for introduction of the green tax for environmentally irresponsible businesses, ..." and then go on about the advantages and disadvantages for businessess to be environmentally aware
    break it down to 2 for defn and the 2x4 in your answer.

hope that makes sense :/ it basically dont leave any room for more questions to be asked, completly inform the examiner about the topic

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

I understand that the definitions have to be word for word, but does everything else?

just noticed this! Dont try and learn somebody elses words, your concentrating on learning the words and not understanding the topic. understand it, write it in your own words (of course using key words) and you will remember it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

Well, a business teacher last year told me the defintions had to be word for word, from any text book, and two this year.

Well tell your teacher he/she is wrong. I'd imagine it's just a scare-tactic to make you learn the information.

• Advertisement
Advertisement