Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone going to ucc next year???

Options
  • 07-11-2009 2:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

:Dhi im deciding to go to ucc so is anyone else hoping to go there? also I would love sum feedback on accomadation which is best for making new friends and so on and student life thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

:Dhi im deciding to go to ucc so is anyone else hoping to go there? also I would love sum feedback on accomadation which is best for making new friends and so on and student life thanks
    I'm favoring ucc and galway at the mo over trinners and ucd:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Mary007

theowen wrote: »
    I'm favoring ucc and galway at the mo over trinners and ucd:rolleyes:

Me too, well the UCC part not Galway...only thing is I will know nobody down there because noone I know is even putting it down!But, I still thinking I'm putting it as No.1 , loved it on the open day:D

Mary007 wrote: »
    Me too, well the UCC part not Galway...only thing is I will know nobody down there because noone I know is even putting it down!But, I still thinking I'm putting it as No.1 , loved it on the open day:D
    Oh I forgot about the open-days, could be a lonely bus down now I think about it:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 lostinlimerick

yup this is what I was thinking also since as being freshers we should find out others interested and maybe get our own forum going because most people will find it extremely hard to make new friends

yup this is what I was thinking also since as being freshers we should find out others interested and maybe get our own forum going because most people will find it extremely hard to make new friends
    It's a tad early for that:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

hey!im a first year in ucc this year!feel free to throw questions my way!and believe you make friends really easy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Mary007

hey!im a first year in ucc this year!feel free to throw questions my way!and believe you make friends really easy!

Since you're offering :D

Em, what's the nightlife like? I'm not one for going out everynight but is there much trouble (I know there's bother everywhere..) but do ya know what I mean, would ya feel safe on a night out etc, good craic etc?

Are there many people from Mayo there haha?

What's your general feeling of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Em, what's the nightlife like? I'm not one for going out everynight but is there much trouble (I know there's bother everywhere..) but do ya know what I mean, would ya feel safe on a night out etc, good craic etc?

Night life is very good. Tuesdays and Thursdays are generally very good. Also, most courses have an entertainments rep, so they organise class parties every few weeks so it's handy for getting to know people. Also, depending on where you stay, there can be a good number of parties every week. I feel safe going out, so I'd say it's grand. Not a lot of trouble. There are the few muppets, same as everywhere.

I wouldn't say there's a lot from Mayo to be honest! It's a long journey to be making! Though there is a guy in my class from the North, and he gets a plane down!

I love UCC. It's a very nice place. And there's usually something going. Cork is also generally a nice place to be.

Also, the OP was asking about accommodation, so I'll answer as best as I can.

I'll start with Student accommodation.

Deanshall: This is where I am. I strongly dislike hate it. The one good point about it is that it's very close to town, about a five minute walk. But it's just not a nice place. It's dark and very un-homely. Also broadband costs €100 for the year, and it's awful. It's very slow. So yeah, avoid this place. And the colour scheme is awful. It seems like they tried to highlight the dullness. The security guard is a legend though. The receptionists aren't. The price is grand.

Castlewhite: This is right beside UCC, and probably one of the best places for first years. It was done up last summer, so it's very nice. Kitchens are modern. All bedrooms have a double bed and a sink. It's bright and just a nice place to be. It's right beside the college, so that's dead handy. Also, there's nearly always a few parties going on. It's also one of the cheaper places.

Victoria Lodge: This is up the road from Castlewhite. The bedrooms are nice, the kitchens are grand too. Free internet, on the college network afaik. There are parties there alright, but it's not like Castlewhite where you can just show up, each appartment is very cut off from the others, so it's kinda hard to get to know people in other appartments. It's a nice place overall.

Victoria Mills: This is one top notch place. Absolutely class. Most, if not all, appartments have balconies, which is pretty sweet. The place is all just so nice. The kitchen is spacey, and the rooms are just awesome. The only thing is that it's the most expensive place to stay. But if you can afford it, go for it.

Brookfield: I haven't spent a lot of time here, but it seems alright. It's all houses, and a good few parties. People I know have stayed there and they really didn't like it. Apparently it's a bit of a hole. I'm not sure of prices.

Farranlea: I stayed there once with my brother a few years ago, and it wasn't great to be honest... Not the nicest place of all time. But I was there a few weeks ago at my friend's place, and it's very nice, but she's living in an appartment that's fitted for someone with disabilities, so I dunno if the entire place is like that now or just there. It's kinda dear if I remember correctly.

Abbey Wharf It's Ages from UCC. It's way on the other side of the city. Very unadvised place to go for that reason. That said, it's nice enough. And the same price as Deanshall I think.

There's The Village as well. My friend is there, but for some reason I've never been to his place. He likes it though.

I'm pretty sure that's all.

Then there's houses. Houses are cheaper, and better. You have way more freedom in a house. I'm getting one next year. But I can't advise to choose between a house and student accommodation....

I hope that helps everyone. Any more questions, then go ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Remember that there's a UCC forum so if you guys have questions about the college itself (courses/social life/accomodation) feel free to ask there. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

The nightlife is really good especially in UCC theres something on every night from gigs organised by the student union to clubs and socieities having nights out which are very regular!to just going out with some friends!And if you go to a club/society night out theres usually freebies like pizza,jelly shots or free entry to a club...ah ya its safe out obviously there are parts of the city that if you go to a night your just asking for trouble but as a whole corks a pretty safe city..oh and brilliant craic!

ha ya i no 2 people from mayo actually so there are a few of ye down here lol

i love the place!my advice to you is if you get here!join a club or society and get involved you'll make so many friends that way!trust me!..its just generally a really friendly college no one minds pointing ya in the right direction or just chatting

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Suggestion: Don't go to digs,It's not nice!(Maybe i'm just unlucky) :)

Advertisement