Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor Insurance question - date of a claim

Options
  • 07-11-2009 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭

Hi,

2 weeks ago I had a minor collision in my mums car where I was in the wrong.
    The 3rd party damage was 3k.
    My damage was 2k.
    The claim has not been settled yet, as the assessor figure for my mums car just came in yesterday.
    The 3rd party claim came in over a week ago.
    I'm not sure if the 3rd party claim has been paid yet.

I now want to get my own car & insurance.
    I've been told since the claim has not been fully settled yet (cheques not paid),
    that I currently have no claims to my name.
    Hence when applying for insurance, I can say I have no claims as of today.
    Obviously this will reduce my premium.

It makes sense.
    Anyone have any experience of this?

Cheers,
    Ray.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

yeah but you'll be asked if you were involved in a claim. If you fail to disclose being involved in a claim and the new insurance company finds out you won't be covered.

Insurance works on the basis of "uberimae fidae" - utmost good faith. In other words, any failure to dislcose any information that the insurance company sees as relevant - will void your policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

They ask for details of all accidents, claims or convictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

HarryD wrote: »
    Hi,
    I now want to get my own car & insurance.
    I've been told since the claim has not been fully settled yet (cheques not paid),
    that I currently have no claims to my name.
    Hence when applying for insurance, I can say I have no claims as of today.
    Obviously this will reduce my premium.

It makes sense.
    Anyone have any experience of this?

Cheers,
    Ray.

Just don't even think about it ! Also, please ignore any pub lawyers who think that they have a brilliant way to get around this. To "misrepresent" like this is also a criminal offence (RTA 1961 - S. 64).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

You said that the 3rd Party sent in a claim came in over a week ago, so you DO have a claim against you, it is just pending at present. All the other resonses here are correct, don't even consider lying to an insurer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

ok, thanks all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,265 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I think you would be much better go about getting the insurnace once this has been finalised. With a claim pending, many will give you silly quotes as they cannot be sure what the story is with you.

Advertisement