Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 Failed Apocalyptic Predictions

Options
  • 07-11-2009 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭

National Geographic did an article recently of ten of the best doomsday predictions which never happened. I thought you guys would enjoy it. It covers everything from the Rapture to the LHC.
    Our good friend Pat Robertson shows up twice! :P
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/11/photogalleries/maya-2012-failed-apocalypses/index.html

I think the JW is my favourite one. If there was a film it would be called Apocalypse Now Delayed Until Further Notice:
    Since its founding in the 1870s, the Jehovah's Witnesses, a Christian offshoot, had prophesied that the world would end in 1914
    Though nothing of the sort happened in 1914, ever since then, the religion's followers have been predicting that the world will end "shortly," according to the 1997 book Apocalypse Delayed: The Story of Jehovah's Witnesses.

There's also mention of a 'psychic archaeologist' somewhere in the article. That sounds too awesome not to be true!

edit: also, a related article debunking the 2012 fiasco:
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/11/091106-2012-end-of-world-myths.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

My fav one is Christianity itself.

With in a generation stretched to be 2000 years and counting ... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Galvasean wrote: »
    I think the JW is my favourite one. If there was a film it would be called Apocalypse Now Delayed Until Further Notice:

They've made lots tbh. Last one was the 70's. People sold their houses and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Wicknight wrote: »
    My fav one is Christianity itself.

With in a generation stretched to be 2000 years and counting ... :p
    The Wandering Jew is hands down my favorite piece of Christian theology.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

JimiTime wrote: »
    People sold their houses and all.

Why even bother? no, wait...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

Roll on 2012...

Waits to be disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

What I hate about these predicted exact-date-end-worlds is that eventually one of them is bound to be right.:mad:
    They'll still be bonkers though.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭b12mearse

2012 has to be the dumbest prediction. 'the mayans new about it' lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Malty_T wrote: »
    What I hate about these predicted exact-date-end-worlds is that eventually one of them is bound to be right.:mad:

But it's not as if they'd be around to look smug, nor us to look foolish.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

b12mearse wrote: »

Have you seen the few minutes of the 2012 movie they released?
    It looks so bad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

b12mearse wrote: »

I think there calender dept was closed down due to short funding... but expected their economy should turn around at least once within the next 600 / 800 years so it could be re-setup again...

seriously... does anyone have any idea how long it takes to do up a calender to infinity?

... or at least when our sun is going to explode.... in millions of years time?

- Drav!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I don't see any Mayans around... If you ask me they overprepared with their calendar.

Advertisement