Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband advice

Options
  • 07-11-2009 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Ive been living in a magnet ftth enabled estate for the last year so have been rather spoiled for broadband recently. However Im moving back into family home & looking into bb options & was hoping for some advice.

The current situation in the house is phone with eircom, bb with bt (1mb for 20) (who i guess are now vodafone).

The current BT package is going to be too slow for my needs, looking at the vodafone packages they arent too appealing either. I guess my first question is are their any carriers out there who like bt dont require you to bundle line rental with them too, since thats going to be the easiest option.

Failing that, from a setup standpoint I guess eircom would probably be the quickest. Im not sure their going to suit my needs, do they still block pirate bay? How are they for cracking down on those kinds of activities atm?

Also can anyone give me an idea of how long it takes to switch now, I know it used to be weeks without internet :( really hoping that has improved since I last looked into it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭smithcity

My area is pretty bad for broadband too, a 1mb connection was the best I could get and I was afraid to go with eircom in case I found torrent sites blocked or anything like that. We went with a bundle from perlico. I'm totally satisfied with it, there's no line rental, there's a relatively good download limit and the line is usually spot on.
    My only complaint was that it took forever for them to switch over the line from eircom and enable the broadband, it took almost a month!

Anyway, if you dont want to get raped by BT or their ilk, I can recommend perlico

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ryan_w94

yea im having really bad problems with my internet, were paying for 3mb and im getting really low results, i wished eircom the fools who are practically stealing from us told us we cant get it or unless theres problems, this is what im getting, 616032133.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Just to clarify, the area Im talking about is Dublin 9, & there shouldnt be any problem with the line. The main advice Im looking for is experience with eircom & their attitudes with regards to downloads etc now, & also whether theres any other dsl providers out there who dont require the bundling of line rental like bt used to.

Advertisement