Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with single storey house design

Options
  • 07-11-2009 2:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

We've just been given planning permission but NOT for the house we applied for. One of the conditions of planning is that we change to a single storey dwelling (we'd applied for a storey and a half). Now we have to wait 4 weeks for objections and then we've two months to send in plans for new house. We'd our hearts set on storey and a half and dunno where to start now with the bungalow. Basically we want something different! Our site could incorporate a split level house. I know we can go to our planner but I'd like to have something to go with. i've searched the web but nothing has 'wowed' me! I'd appreciate any help or suggestions!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭mal_1

marmaj wrote: »
    We've just been given planning permission but NOT for the house we applied for. One of the conditions of planning is that we change to a single storey dwelling (we'd applied for a storey and a half). Now we have to wait 4 weeks for objections and then we've two months to send in plans for new house. We'd our hearts set on storey and a half and dunno where to start now with the bungalow. Basically we want something different! Our site could incorporate a split level house. I know we can go to our planner but I'd like to have something to go with. i've searched the web but nothing has 'wowed' me! I'd appreciate any help or suggestions!

Surely this the conversation you should have with your architect; they should be able to design a house that suits your needs in terms of; the use of house, space, views, orientation etc, rather than basing the design on having a stairs in it and dormer windows if thats how its laid out. If a 1 1/2 storey wasn't excepted there must planning reasons for such.
    Be positive that you have got a grant to to start with, and design your house so that in a future you can naturally extend up into your attic and use that space within your planning received, or with minor alterations.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,867 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I've moved the posts above to this new thread

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Wondering where it went, disapeared while I was reading it...:D
    Anyway,

OP See this an an opportunity, your site and budget will determine the most of your house design. Time to talk to your Architect/Designer and get the best option to suit both.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,867 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Wondering where it went, disapeared while I was reading it...:D
    The muffler moves in mysterious ways :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Be very careful with split level houses, one with a little step will probably be fine but I have found here in Mayo that the planners do not like split level houses with a half story or full story split, if they have siad to you a single story then do a single story anythiong else and you will be bashing your head against a brick wall while they just keep saying no to you!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement