Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking for Advice from a Prius Owner

Options
  • 07-11-2009 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

My wife is thinking of buying a Toyota Prius and I would love to hear from someone who actually owns one.

I am aware of the hybrid versus diesel argument but to be honest its not really about the environment she just likes the car.

I on the other hand am concerned about reliability and servicing costs.

I know Toyota are famous for reliability but two engines means twice as many things to go wrong right? Also do Hybrids need some special kind of servicing and is it expensive?

From your experience of owning and driving a Prius are there any other things we should know about a Prius before buying one?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Mad Mike wrote: »
    she just likes the car. .

Well theres a first :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Although plenty of people on here have opinions on the Prius I don't think anyone actually owns one. You're better off having a look at the forums on greenhybrid.com and cleanmpg.com. The new Prius by all accounts is a fantastic machine, and the "hybrid" part is maintenance free. Servicing is the same as any other car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Also, there are Prius-specific forums on priuschat.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

Thanks JHMEG I will follow up those links.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

You should check out www.carsurvey.org/reviews/toyota/prius/ for opinions on reliability. I am not sure what level of maintenance is required on the battery end of things or if any is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Ill hop in here i work in a toyota garage, so hopfully answer any questions.
    With regards to servicing there no different to any petrol car service.A full service runs around €260 (Main Dealer) as they use longlife plugs(change every 100k Klms).

With regards to reliability they are in my opinion they are most reliable Toyota out there.Batteries dont give trouble in general, some cases where cars in excess of 120000miles have needed replacment, but these were usualy city only cars where battery useage abnormally high.

With regards to fuel comsumption you will get some where aroung 52-55 MPG without trying to hard.I have seen 65 MPG when trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

Thanks for the reply KS.

Advertisement