Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT!

Options
  • 07-11-2009 4:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭

My car has its NCT next week but it's last disc was up in May 2008 (05/08). The test is being done in 11/09 so will my car get a disc for 11/11 or will it be 05/10? If it is 05/10 do I just have to pay another 50 yoyos for the 11/11 disc or do they have to test it all over again, even though it's just been through it?

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

It will be vaild for 2 years from the date of passing the test. Check nct.ie for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

Sorry hal, you're wrong there, the NCT cert only corresponds to the registration date of the the car, in the OP's case, the last time it expired was 05/08. When the car is tested again the test will granted until 05/10, unless that date has already expired, in which case it'll be 05/12...

The mind boggles, but that's the (quite silly) system that they've but in place..
    So to answer OP's question - if you pass the test on Nov 11 its only gona NCT the car until next may...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The mind boggles, but that's the (quite silly) system that they've but in place..
    Why is it silly? If that rule was not in place, there would be little incentive (apart from the recently introduced heavy fine and 5 points on your licence if convicted, and the fact that your car can be seized) to do the test on the due date.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

So to answer OP's question - if you pass the test on Nov 11 its only gona NCT the car until next may...
    So can I just pay another €50 to get a 11/11 disc or will it have to go through the test all over again?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

you wont get a disk for 11/11. if it passes you will get a disk till 05/10. you will need to go back and do the test again in may next year to get a disk for 05/12.
    the date you do the test has no affect on what date the cert will be issued from. the date your last disk expired on is the date they will be adding two years on too. if that was say for example the 3rd of may 2008 03-05-08 would be on the disk. your new disk (when you pass)lol will be 03-05-10
    hth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

This is yet another stupid law.:confused:
    If it was 2 years from the test date cars would be so much easier to sell on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭mailblaney

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    So can I just pay another €50 to get a 11/11 disc or will it have to go through the test all over again?

no you can't do this.

but what some people don't realise is that you can get your NCT done up to 3 months early, so you can get a disc that lasts 2 years and 3 months before expiry.

but, you must have an NCT every 2 years, thats the rules

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

REXER wrote: »
    This is yet another stupid law.:confused:
    If it was 2 years from the test date cars would be so much easier to sell on!

Well yes, the main point of the NCT is not safety, it's to make sure peopel can sell their cars easily :rolleyes:

Actually it is just a snap shot in time that says the car was in a roadworthy condition at a specific point in time.:rolleyes: Nothing else.

Just take a look at Adverts.ie to see the hassel that folks have trying to sell cars that have short NCT's or expired NCT's.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

REXER wrote: »
    Actually it is just a snap shot in time that says the car was in a roadworthy condition at a specific point in time.:rolleyes: Nothing else.

Yes but the idea is that people will at least have to maintain their cars at some stage to pass an NCT every 2nd year. The alternative is that some cars wont seen anything other than petrol until they breakdown or kill someone.

• Advertisement

I'm not saying that the NCT is wrong, i'm saying the impamentation is wrong. Offering the NCT on demand would make commercial sense as well as enhancing safety.
    Have a regular retest cycle with a retest 2 years after the last test.
    Proper enforcement would also help!

This may even create a few new jobs as well! Not a bad outcome for a sensible idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

esel wrote: »
    Why is it silly? If that rule was not in place, there would be little incentive (apart from the recently introduced heavy fine and 5 points on your licence if convicted, and the fact that your car can be seized) to do the test on the due date.

Would the heavy fine, 5 penalty points upon conviction and the possibility of having your car seized not be enough incentive in itself to have a current valid NCT certificate on your car at all times. I'd certainly think so.

I feel that the rule is a con, a money making scam and just should be forbidden. If the OP's car is certified as roadworthy on a particular date he/ she should be allowed two years before having to test the car again. If the car is subjected to the same test criteria as any other car receiving a certificate of road wothiness for two years I don't see why not. The date of registration is of no relevance other than being a baltantly obvious money making scam by NCTS.

mailblaney wrote: »
    but what some people don't realise is that you can get your NCT done up to 3 months early, so you can get a disc that lasts 2 years and 3 months before expiry.

but, you must have an NCT every 2 years, thats the rules

Just to clarify that in your case PrettyBoy if you do not test your car three months before date of anniversary of registration in 2010 and you take a test within this three month period your NCT disc will still only be valid until May 2010. In other words if you don't take any action regarding a NCT until March 2010 for example and put your car through the test in March 2010 your NCT cert will still only be valid until May 2010. The option mailblaney mentions is only valid to cars with current valid NCT discs still on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ Are you certain that this is the case?

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    ^ Are you certain that this is the case?

I have being told that such is the case by two people in the motor trade esel so as such I would count on their knowledge as being pretty reassuring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

+1 on the last post.

+2 on the previous comment that the NCT is only a snapshot.

My car passed its NCT recently. I then took it off the road for a few days to change a steering column section that was so corroded that I could bend it in my hands...

(experienced mechanics will be able to guess the model - common problem)

sean1141 wrote: »
    you wont get a disk for 11/11. if it passes you will get a disk till 05/10. you will need to go back and do the test again in may next year to get a disk for 05/12.
    What a ****ing piss take. I'm sure there are some here that won't agree but would it not make more sense to just make it valid for two years from the date of the test?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

What a ****ing piss take. I'm sure there are some here that won't agree but would it not make more sense to just make it valid for two years from the date of the test?

Wouldnt it make more sense for people to get the NCT done on time?

jackncoke wrote: »
    Wouldnt it make more sense for people to get the NCT done on time?
    I got the car without an NCT. The previous owner emigrated and the car didn't sell before he left. The NCT was up and it sat there for months. It was declared off the road.

What happens with classic cars? A fairly high number of them can sit there for years before somebody buys and restores it. When it is restored the NCT could be out for 5+ years - do they just keep having to do the test over and over?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

What happens with classic cars? A fairly high number of them can sit there for years before somebody buys and restores it. When it is restored the NCT could be out for 5+ years - do they just keep having to do the test over and over?

Vintage cars are exempt (30 years + )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

So I got my car through the test yesterday. Its 1st test (has pretty much been off the road til 2 months ago). I imported the car in Feb 2008. The cert is only valid til 02/10.
    My question is - Can I bring it in early, ie December to avail of the 3 months early thing, and get a cert til 02/12?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Kersh wrote: »
    My question is - Can I bring it in early, ie December to avail of the 3 months early thing, and get a cert til 02/12?

YES!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

Spank you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Even the the car was not exempt (ie. not so old), and was off the road for 5 years for example, you dont have to do loads of 'catch up' tests.
    When you go and get it tested, the test will be valid until the date f registration on a 2 year cycle. so regardless of how long your nct is out, you could get a new cert for a very short time or a full 2 years depending on when you take the car in in relation to it reg date

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Hi guys

My nct was due in October and only noticed this evening. Went to the NCT website to book a date and it is asking me for the vehicle registration date - where can I find this? I have the vehicle licencing certificate here and I put in the "Date of first licensing" and the "registered owner date" and its not accepting either. The other option is to put in the booking ID number but I have not made a booking yet!

Any ideas?

sillymoo wrote: »
    Hi guys

My nct was due in October and only noticed this evening. Went to the NCT website to book a date and it is asking me for the vehicle registration date - where can I find this? I have the vehicle licencing certificate here and I put in the "Date of first licensing" and the "registered owner date" and its not accepting either. The other option is to put in the booking ID number but I have not made a booking yet!

Any ideas?

On the VLC it will have the date the car was first registered. That's all the nct are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Hal1 wrote: »
    On the VLC it will have the date the car was first registered. That's all the nct are looking for.

Yup got that but it wont except the date - it says to me:

"WARNING: A vehicle corresponding to the information entered does not exist on our database."

sillymoo wrote: »
    Yup got that but it wont except the date - it says to me:

"WARNING: A vehicle corresponding to the information entered does not exist on our database."

I just had a look at my vlc and there are 2 dates. B1 - date of first licensing in IRL, and I - date of registration in IRL. Did you try the licensing date?

Just ring them rather than booking it online, you won't need to know the date of registration, just the plates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

why, in a so-called 'computerised' system, does it ask YOU the date of first reg - if it's connected to the nvdb, and you enter the reg, wtf doesn't it know from it's own system ??:confused:

Moronic. Completely moronic.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement