Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Humour in Games

Options
  • 07-11-2009 4:30am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm drunk, and I remember playing Timesplitters 3 laughing my head off at the drunk henchmen on the train level. Man... I loved the Timesplitters humour. Another game that springs to mind is Toejam and Earl. The game always brought a smirk to my face with the humour they brought to the game.

Anyone else got any humorous games/scenes for a game, even if the game itself was rubbish??

(Timesplitters and TJ & E were aweseome :cool:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭pipeliner

the little turret guns in portal with their cute little 'i see you' before tearing u a new one.

Add the rest of portal to that.

I remember a boss fight in one of the spider man games where the bosses energy bar fills up to about five levels. You punch him once and he dies. That was funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I find pretty much every cut-scene in every MGS game Ive ever played, to be humourous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Agricola wrote: »
    I find pretty much every cut-scene in every MGS game Ive ever played, to be humourous!

Aren't they meant to be serious though:p

I quite like the humour of the ratchet & clank games, fairly obvious for the most part but it still makes me smile...

Prince of Persia SOT has some of the most amusing character interaction I've heard... Just loved some of the bickering in that:p
    Uncharted did as well actually, and some of it was really brought to life by the fantastic facial expressions

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

tman wrote: »
    Aren't they meant to be serious though:p

I quite like the humour of the ratchet & clank games, fairly obvious for the most part but it still makes me smile...

Prince of Persia SOT has some of the most amusing character interaction I've heard... Just loved some of the bickering in that:p
    Uncharted did as well actually, and some of it was really brought to life by the fantastic facial expressions

Seriously funny! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Monkey Island. Pure comedic gold.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Grim Fandango.

Awesome. Never got far into it tho co it kept crashing on my machine :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Aye,... Grun Fandango and Monkey Island are brilliant fun :d

Toejam and Earl were quality too...

I found saints row 2 to be pretty funny...and of course....WORMS ! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Pretty much any Tim Schafer I've played tends to be fairly laugh out loud (so far, Brutal Legend has been consistently witty hilarious though, after the brilliant opening cutscene - not always a bad thing, but definitely not the laugh-fest Psychonauts was).

Uncharted 2 had some fantastic comic moments ("enemy above you, enemy above you!" "enemy below you, enemy below you" :D), and the final exchange of snappy dialogue is one of those rare game endings that leaves you satisfied with the conclusion.

Plenty of moments in the Persona series were worthy of a giggle or two ("Stupei", the bizarre onsen incidents).

Playing The Ballad of Gay Tony is also reminding me of some of Rockstar's great sense of humour - love Integrity 2.0 and Brucie "genetically different" Kipputz in particular.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Agricola wrote: »

Especially Twin Snakes, that game was pretty funny.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,565 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I always smiled at the Lemmings before they explode "Oh No!".
    Also, I remember finding Worms on the PS very amusing, "Armageddon!", exploding sheep.
    In MDK, also on the PS and the PC, we had "The world most interesting bomb", and the smallest nuke as well, very funny.
    I used to play a game called Terrormolinos on the Speccy, a very funny text adventure.
    At one point you wander into the wardrobe I think and find yourself in the wrong game, also there was a text based Space Invaders in there too I think, not to mention the text maze with no logic, funnier than it sounds!

Of course Resident Evil, with it's lousy voice acting, "Jill, why don't you, the master of unlocking, take this lock pick.", for example...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Bad Company is very funny in parts. Really enjoyed that game immensely.

Also some of the commentary in FIFA 10 is hilarious. Seems like Martin Tyler and Andy Gray are flirting with each other sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 shaz291982

All the gta games have a lot and lot of funny bits. some silly some funny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Definitely Grim Fandango. I loved Sam and Max as well. It was so crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

How come no one has mentioned HK-47 in KOTOR?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭rizzla

Just playing House of the Dead Overkill and the OTT nature and constant un-needed swearing is pretty funny (in small doses).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Alien Hominid is quite funny (intro vid - from 1:16-2:20)

From the same team: Castle Crashers has some hilarious moments in it.

I find TeeWorlds quite amusing but it's mainly seeing floods of cute little creatures running at each other with mallets!

Splosion Man - Everybody loves Doughnuts

🤪

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm surprised no one has mention Giants: Citizen Kabuto. Some fantastic humour in it, as well as being a great game.

TIMMY!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

well ere it goes:

some bits in original duke nuken.

seriuos Sam telephones ( to those who knows )

Love the bits in drakes fortune 1&2.

Killing floor one liners, when i heard them first time i spitted all over mine monitors from lougthing.

Acting in all C&C games, i cant believe they could act all that crap with straith face! :D

earth worm JIM, no comments

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

allanb49 wrote: »
    How come no one has mentioned HK-47 in KOTOR?

Ah Hk-47 is the funniest character i have ever come across in a game. If they somehow get him into TOR in a substantial role i will be buying :p (although then you will have millions of nerds getting angry and speculating about the continuity.) :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

the destroy all humans games were very funny. bit obsessed with abusing cows though lol!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Portal is very funny. You get insulted a lot by a big computer.
    Team Fortress 2 can be funny too, and has amusing quips from characters in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

Conkers Bad Fur Day. What a gem:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Evil Dead: Fistful Of Boomstick - laughed good bit during that:D
    Destroy all humans + GTA games of course and

Whiplash! Fox chained to a rabbit. Ya know it's good :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

Games that have made me laugh:

Scribblenauts, Final Fantasy 9, Portal, Wario Ware, Mario and Luigi/Paper Mario, Shadow Hearts, Monkey Island, Phoenix Wright, Psychonauts, Ratchet and Clank, Katamari, GTA.. I'm sure there are loads more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I was surprised by how funny Persona 3 and 4 could be, wasn't expecting it. Also zelda: phantom hourglass and the Pokemon games have some unexpected laugh out loud moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

I was playing Dragon Age Origins in another room to where my wife was sleeping the other night and actually woke her up by laughing so loud :)

It was at the point in Stone Prisoner where you are walking out of the village and it cuts to Shale, Shale looks at chicken, camera pans back to you, there's a brief squack, camera pans back and Shale just looks up from the blood splatter where the chicken was and shrugs his shoulders like a 4 year old child that just got caught :)

Absolutely brilliant!!!

Advertisement